Asking not to spar at 100%?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by u6s68, Jul 6, 2014.

1. u6s68

u6s68 Valued Member

The Judo club I have attended seem to go hard in Randori. I am training for fun, fitness and self defense but have not sparred yet. Is it appropriate to ask other players to go easy on you? I image they would anyway but I really can't jeopardise my job with injuries.

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

The other guys should respect your grade when they are sparring with you. Your instructor should ensure you are partnered with people who are sensible. If you get partnered with another beginner however...

3. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

you can totally ask to not go 100% and ask to practice things your learnt in class

4. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Yeah, just ask them to go light. If they still go hard you have every right to stop sparring with them there and then.

5. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

No one who's not a pleb should have any problem with you asking. Its only ever an issue when people ask that and then go full power themselves. People are aware others have commitments outside of lessons and that others will have different goals and comfort levels. There's absolutely nothing wrong with requesting to take it easier.

6. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

I've asked people to go easy in sparring before. There's no shame in it and nobody I've met has a problem with it either.

7. Alienfish360

Alienfish360 Valued Member

Don't stress about sparring.

It's not good practice to injure your training partners, or you soon run out of people to train with.

I find it's other beginners who go the hardest, get partnered with an experienced guy with nothing to prove, they will go easy on a new guy.

Another beginner though it will turn into a competition, not training.

8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Of course, but remember if you lock out and muscle things they're more likily to match you intensity, learning to relax and get thrown is a skill in itself.