As a TS woman do I stand a chance against men?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Maryreade1234, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Essentially:
    Why do we award sport?

I'm a big advocate for amateurism and mass participation over weird eugenic elitism in sport

Dead_pool and David Harrison like this.
  2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

A genuine LOL!

Dead_pool likes this.
  3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

We all want to compare against each other, and everyone has a competitive drive, it's a usefull way to divert that energy away from riots and changing the government.

4. Mangosteen

Must. Not. Let. Inner. Anarchist. Out.

5. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

6. David Harrison

Yeah, but when I look at sources specifically talking about sex determination in humans, it gets a bit fuzzier and contradictory.

We need an expert!

One thing I have learned - sex determination is even more complicated than I ever realised!

7. Mangosteen

Phenotypic determination doesn't just include external sex organs but internal too, even chemical pathways, behaviour and development. Casta semenya still sits in a middle ground that isn't phemotypical clear in either category.

But as I said, sex is a spectrum, not the 2 defined categories we've devised.

8. Mangosteen

Read back, it looks like you guys (David and deadpool) are making the same point and arguing for no reason?

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

That's something I've tried get across to people but the "2 sexes" idea is a persistent one because so many people occupy the two massive peaks on the spectrum that correspond to what we think of as "men" and "women".

Dead_pool and Mangosteen like this.
  10. David Harrison

It's a thing we like to do from time to time. :)

11. David Harrison

Although that sidestep did come from an initial disagreement about inclusion of trans people and outlier birth females in sport, and whether birth females should be a protected class. I'm pretty sure we still disagree about that.

Dead_pool and Mangosteen like this.
  12. Mangosteen

I missed MAP, I can have a well measured conversation with people that are informed, willing to change their views and be logical as well as kind.

It feels good for my mental health being on here over Facebook

13. Dead_pool

I think it's not for me to say, as I'm not a birth female (or am I..........) But I can definitely see why it's a gray area, and that it's not black and white.

But yea, discussion is a good thing, generally.
    (Karl popper situations not withstanding)

David Harrison and Mangosteen like this.
  14. Dead_pool

No reason, just pure emotion! we're like kids fighting in the car!

David Harrison and Mangosteen like this.
  15. David Harrison

One thing that I've taken away from this thread is just how incomplete the chromosomal sex argument that right wing pundits espouse is.

Not to mention their deliberate conflation of sex and gender.

And of course:
    Shapiro: Bible says no.
    Sargon: We can't call trans women "women", because some bloke might unwittingly form a long term relationship with one and then be really disappointed when he finds out she can't have kids (because having conversations with partners isn't a thing in his world?).

Mangosteen and Dead_pool like this.
  16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Thing is though...as I mentioned earlier...we award EVERYTHING right? It's not like sport is some weird category of thing we award and ignore everything else (although it can seem like that given the wider coverage and financial sport gets).
    There are whole awards ceremonies to see who's the best meat retailer of the year (probably).
    Who breeds the best sheep!
    Who cuts the best hair!
    Who designs the best clothes!
    Who's the employee of the month!

We're, to some degree, a competitive species.

Dead_pool likes this.
  17. Dead_pool

Life is a competition, back before we had Tesco's and Walmart's, you either ate what you killed, or you were someone else's lunch!

Especially before we figured out the riddle of steel!

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Watch Iain Abernethy's Youtube vid on Conan the Barbarian! He talks about the riddle of steel and covers what's in the film (and how it relates to martial arts) really well.

Dead_pool likes this.
  19. Dead_pool

It's like you don't want me to get any work done today!

Haha, I'll check it out at my next 'natural break"!

20. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I just booked the afternoon off! It felt like one of those days!

Dead_pool likes this.