as a christian i've been warned to leave tai chi alone

Discussion in 'Tai chi' started by Solomon, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Solomon

Solomon Valued Member

i recently got into a conversation with a friend of mine about martial arts, and tai chi came up. He said he'd been taking it for a good seven years i believe. I was really interested and wanted know more of his experiece with it since i've been wanting to take it for a while now.

He told me about all the demonstrations he'd seen, old ladys taking down 300 lb men, and so on, then he told me he quit it a while ago. when i asked why he said, something along the lines of "i didn't like where it was going" he'd gotten heavy into the philosophy and everthing and told me that he just got weirded out, it made his spirit vulnerable to alot i believe he said.

he would have premonitions about things

he could finish peoples sentences before they did

i'm thinkin "thats awesome, isn't that the point? to anticipate things before they happen?"

i asked him if he'd used to the knowledge he had for the wrong thing, or if studying tai chi would ultimately lead to, i'll say, "making your spirit susceptible to unGodly things"

i don't quite remember his answer to that, but i remember his overall attitude warning me against it.

he also said that once you get into the philosophy it leads to demonism

can somebody help me out here?

2. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

That sounds very weird to me. I study Tai Chi, and in my school, it's just a martial art -- no philosophical mumbo-jumbo at all.

3. firecoins

firecoins Armchair General

I have been studing tai chi for 6 months and I have turned complety red with horns and a tail. For some reason I carry a pitchfork around and I have never been near hay in my life.

4. Capt Ann

Capt Ann Valued Member

Thanks for that, Brian! ;) Now on a more serious note:

Any martial art you study will carry with it as much or as little spiritual 'baggage' as your particular instructor wants to bring. Some will have physical exercise only, with absolutely no overt spiritual content whatsover. Some will introduce a little eastern philosophy or discussion of history. Some will include a little bit of the culture, whether that's Chinese or Japanese or Korean or whatever. Some will include bowing to an idol set up in the front of the room with incense burning on it.

The point is, if your Chirstianity is something that is important to you (which from your question, I would say it is), then go visit several MA schools in your area and talk to the individual instructors. See what types of spiritual content each particular instructors brings to his classes. See how a typical class runs. See if you can live with the way the class functions. Then make your decision based on that.

Obviously Christians can study martial arts - you have bunches of 'em on this forum.

5. piratebrido

piratebrido internet tough guy

Guys talking bollocks. I wouldn't worry about it.

6. daftyman

daftyman A 4oz can of whoop-ass!

If you read "Chinese Boxing: Masters and Methods" you hear about a guy called Paul Kuo. He was a master of all the internal arts and felt no conflict about it.

Tai chi is not a religion. There is no idolotry, or worship of a supreme being. It can ask you to believe in chi, but even that is not compulsory. The philosophy behind it, Daoism and to a lesser extent Confucianism, can sit quite nicely alongside Christianity. The philosophies are about becoming a better person, a better member of society. I doubt that anyone, even big J himself, could have a problem with that.

Now your fundamentalist will see something wrong with just about anything. The guy having visions or finishing peoples sentences clearly has issues. Sounds totally daft to me. All the taichi classes I go to or run are held in church halls, christian church halls. They don't have a problem with it.

7. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

I know plenty of Koreans and Chinese who are better practicing Christians and more sincere in their faith than the average American, who have no problem practicing Taiji, or any other Ki related MA, or see the benefits in practicing Jwasun (Zazen, Korean Zen meditation), or Kigong.

Some Western Christians like to place things they don't understand into little boxes that they can conviently mark wit a big red stamp of "EVIL".

Spend your time looking for something to demonize, and you'll likely find demons.

8. daftyman

Some more direct responses:
    Visit some classes. Speak to the instructor and/or senior students. Speak to your own Minister/Vicar/Priest. Then make up your own mind.

EDIT: I view myself as a christian, however not overly devout although I do go to church a few times a year. I have never found anything in taiji or the underlying philosophies that has caused a conflict in my belief, I've even heard daoist ideas coming from the pulpit (although they were not labelled as such).

Last edited: Jun 8, 2006
  9. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I never found practising Taiji to be a problem from a religious point of view.

When the instructor would sacrifice a small Christian child on the Satanic altar, I just quietly excused myself and stepped outside until the ritual was over.

I think it is important to show sensitivity when dealing with people of other faiths.

10. steve Rowe

steve Rowe Valued Member

He didn't train with Richard Dunn did he? :)

11. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

LOL :D He must have..

Just out of curiosity, if God created all things, how can anything in existence be unGodly?

12. James R

James R New Member

I used to run classes in church halls - but one place did turn me away (Hitchin Christian Centre) and refused to debate it. I don't know why taiji was singled out, as they ran a yoga class there.

13. daftyman

It only takes one busybody with a bee in her/his bonnet/cap to put a spanner in the works. Maybe it was the martial art that bothered them? Chances are someone heard something and took it the wrong way. Although they do seem to be a young church, were they born again? or was once enough? I think the older more established churches and halls feel less of a need to prove themselves and can relax more.

I have heard that the vatican was anti yoga due to its connection with Hinduism.

14. Simplicity

Simplicity Valued Member

I'm a Christian-Taoist.......Imagaine that!......I don't cram everything down my students......I teach them, that we are all inner-connected, if we like it or not.....that "We Are Our Own Worst Enemy"......That we should truly make a difference in the world we live in.......I do have a Christian Cross inside of my logo, with the Yin/Yang logo......All religions are saying pretty much the same method, but I myself don't believe in method......I'm a BL Jeet Kune Do man.......With out method I can't disseminate, we are all brothers and sisters........and our job in life should be "To make A Difference In The World We Live In"........Also to point the way, for young people!....... :Angel:

Peace, Love and Soul

"Walk On The Path, Not On Each Other" by Sifu John McNabney

15. tccstudent

tccstudent Valued Member

It sounds to me that "SOLOMON" has been talking to his church folks and since the basic premis of Catholic belief is fear, I think they told him it is evil. Since TCC is theoretically rooted in Tao, a lot of fundaMENTAList Christians don't like that. Most don't even understand the Tao anyway, so once again it is the fear of the unknown...... I'm sorry if I offend anyone here, but I find the Christians to be the least tolerable towards other peoples beliefs and living systems. What makes it even worse is that Jesus would never stand along side some of these so-called Christians of today; especially the current neo-con Evangelical Christians who hate everyone except people exactly like themselves. The Dalai Lama is closer to Jesus in teachings than many of today's Christians are aware of.

Also, I see the connection to the name SOLOMAN which is referenced in the bible right? Someone might possibly have and agenda here??? Or, it's just my regular paranoia :)

16. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

He didn't say anything about being a Catholic. I think you were probably closer to the mark when you suggested evangelical.

17. tccstudent

tccstudent Valued Member

yes, actually I meant to say Christian. I have met a few nice Catholics from time to time. That is on Sundays when there not beating their wives and kids, or kicking the family pet. Just kidding.. :D

18. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

^ what he said!

O just out of interest what country are we talking about?

19. airweaver

airweaver Valued Member

couldnt agree more.

if anything it will put you more intune with yourself and your beleifs.
    and just take a moment to think weather half of china are possessed.

20. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

As opposed to the Taliban, who destroyed ancient Buddhist temples and killed followers of other religions.

Right...

Some redneck Bible thumper from Kansas is worse than them.