Arrg, my ear!

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by Red Bull, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Red Bull

Red Bull Valued Member

After pretty rough wrestling training this evening I noticed my ear was a bit swollen with signs of light bruising. I heard this causes cauliflower ear, I've never had it before and it bothers me a bit as I've seen some pretty mean pictures of it. :eek: However, I have found no source of information telling me how long it takes for the cartilage to die and how bad the blood clot needs to be. My ear is light red with little blue patches.

After doing a search on this site regarding the problem, I found out that some people here have received trauma to the ear but luckily never ended up getting cauliflower from it. So I guess my question is, how large are the chances that I'll end up with it from light bruising?
    I must sound like a big baby :eek: but yeah, I like my ears. :D

Thanks

2. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

Buy ear guards and then you won't have to worry so much about your loverly ears. :D

3. Red Bull

Red Bull Valued Member

Yeah, the problem is, that it's already happened. :D I may get something though to prevent future vegetable attacks. :D

Nah, I'm not that worried as I make out to be, but I would just like to get an idea of how long it takes and the severity.

4. wrydolphin

wrydolphin Pirates... yaarrrr Supporter

If I remember correctly, its about repeated injuries. I doubt that one bad bruising will give you cauliflower ear.

Oh, and just for the future- you can use the edit function so you don't have to delete an entire post just to add to it. :D

5. Red Bull

Red Bull Valued Member

Oh thank god for that! :D So no wrestling until the bruise has cleared up.

Yeah, I actually did this kinda douple post thingamagig. I'm too lazy to explain, but thanks for the advice anyway. :)

6. HBKirishwarrior

HBKirishwarrior Valued Member

ouch, i get my ear bruise once in a while, i know the pain, i dont have cauliflower ear. you'll be fine, im sure.

7. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

i see a few guys in my MMA class with cauliflower ear, i'm going to invest in a ear guard like US college wrestlers use... dont care if people take the mick, i like my ears ear shaped

8. FortuneFaded

FortuneFaded Feel my Squirrely wrath!

If you get cauliflower ear unless you get to a doctors asap you are stuck with it.

If the ear suffers a blow, a blood clot or other fluid may collect. This separates the cartilage in yer lugs and it won't get no t nutrients, causing the cartilage to die. When this happens, the outer ear becomes permanently swollen and deformed, thus resembling a cauliflower.

9. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

if you cant get to a doc, make an incision with a razor blade and drain out the fluid.

not ideal but it will save you a life of deformed ears

10. gakkyuu ryu

gakkyuu ryu New Member

I have mild signs of cauliflower ear from when I wrestled. The problem with headgear is that most wrestlers hate wearing it to practice. Its not comfortable when your doing set after set of take down drills and sit outs. You get very hot. I opted to practice without it, but then again, I only wrestled two seasons and two off-seasons. I would suggest that if your practices are really aggressive, put up with the discomfort cuz cauliflower ear doesn't go away.

LOL, the memories. My coach called anyone who complained about potential couliflower ear a pu**y. Don't listen 2 ur coach, wear the damn thing.
    :mad:

11. Shiro Kuma

Shiro Kuma Valued Member

There's actually videos of people treating cauliflower ears on the internet. They suck the puss out with a needle. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to let a doctor do it.

Is there a genetic predisposition to this? Some of my friends who do grappling/wrestling/MMA have it, while others don't.

12. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Valued Member

i had 2 sessions with my doc sucking out the blood using a syringe already. but the thing just gets filled up again after a day. is this normal? if yes, this means that i need to have it drained out for more than one day?