ArniSipaan/SipaLuan

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by wanlu99, Dec 16, 2005.

1. wanlu99

wanlu99 Yaw-Yan and MuayThai Fan

This afternoon me and my wife and kids were treated to a demo of Yaw-Yan ArDigma...

Yes Yaw-Yan has an Arnis style...the Nafer Stick fighting and the Navileon Weapons system...

Basically single stick...two sticks...and ropes ...yes ropes!!!

If I insullted RedBagani with my statement then Im sorry Sir. But you misunderstood it completely...in fact it was the other way around. My sincere respects to Yaw-Yan Arnis but its lack of exposure in Arnis sports makes me find it inferior to other styles.

Yaw-Yans have always believed that Yaw-Yan style is effective because Yaw-Yans dominate the striking scene as far as kickboxing in the Philippines is concerned. We believe so because Yaw-Yan fighters from the late 60's to the present have been very active in major full contact martial arts events...and even in NHB or MMA events. Yaw-Yan Ardigma holds a fight night regularly to prove this and Yaw-Yan Pasay hosted the ESC and if Im not mistaken Yaw-Yan won 13 out of 15 bouts...When I say Yaw-Yan dominates, it does not mean Yaw-Yans never lose a fight...but Yaw-Yans win almost all of their fights. So if I say that Yaw-Yans believe that Yaw-Yan is effective, we have a basis and that is basically Yaw-Yans record in the ring. AND WHEN I SAY THAT YAW-YAN IS EFFECTIVE, I DONT MEAN ITS SUPERIOR THAN ANY OTHER STYLES AND THATS WHY IM ALSO DOING MUAYTHAI, GRAPPLING AND BOXING AND HOPEFULLY ARNIS REAL SOON.

But Yaw-Yan Arnis has no records not even a single exposure in Arnis sports...which is my basic reason why I dont think its for sports. If in the future, Yaw-Yan Arnis will make it to the Arnis Sports scene and do good...I will be very happy to retract my statement that its not good enough for sports. But for now...my aim is to join Arnis sports and Id be honored to learn a style which is already known,active and tested in sports Arnis.

Attached is a photo of Yaw-Yan Arnis DEMO taken this afternoon at the Yaw-Yan ArDigma gym in Bulacan (NO he's not a fire eater) :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2006
  2. wanlu99

Awww come on!!!

Sir,

where in my statement did I say that Yaw-Yan Arnis is too deadly for sports? I said its BASICALLY FOR COMBAT or actual fighting. The basic strikes are there but the moves,manuevers, counter strikes,techniques,exposure and method of teaching is not for sports Arnis.

As for the demo thing that involves MUTANT NINJA TURTLE MOVES...we all do moves that will attract attention to attract students and exposure basically the reason why we do a demo in malls and public places. The Anyo in Arnis show a lot of moves similar to what you mean...but some demo stuff are fancy moves and of course not intended for combat.When Yaw-Yans do a demo, we do the kicks you dont see from other styles...if its effective in combat or not, it depends on the person applying it. Of course if you are doing an exclusive demo for Martial arts peers...you limit the Michael Angelo,Rafael,Donatello and Leonardo moves and maybe more of the Splinter principles :) .

Last edited: Jan 4, 2006
  3. Silentblade

Silentblade Silent Death

I get your point wanlu. But you know, saying that a style is not for sports, and only for combat, is a different thing. It basically implies that the style is too deadly for controlled combat/sparring/sports. It also impies that other styles who does sports arnis are less combative. I know you didn't mean to say that Yaw-Yan Arnis is superior to other arnis/escrima/kali styles. Like you said, you're not good with words. If you check other threads about other styles who thinks they are "too combat" or "to deadly for sports", you'll see its a pretty sensitive topic. It's the reason why me and RedBagani reacted to your post.

I suggest you visit the the FMA Forum website and participate there. Also, check out the thread Should we encourage Sports Arnis so you'll have an idea what we're talking about.

4. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

I hear you, Wanlu, crystal clear. I'm glad that was cleared up. There are a lot of guys here who can give you good leads in finding an instructor. Good luck!

5. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

haha, cheers! :love:

6. wanlu99

RedBagani

Thanks sir and I hope to learn Arnis from you and the other experts in the future after I learn some basics first...

More power to you and your team

7. wanlu99

Hi Silent Blade

I understand your point and believe me I never meant to imply anything like that.

Id like to be able to join an Arnis competition as a newby in the near future hoping that there is a category for beginners...I can only do so if I find a style of Arnis that teaches techniques for Arnis sports...techniques used in the sports and not in combat. Im sure theres as difference somehow.Yaw-Yan Arnis does not show any interest in joining Sports Arnis but nobody claimed that its TOO DEADLY FOR SPORTS...or that its SUPERIOR THAN OTHER STYLES...if my statement did imply so,then its an honest mistake on my part and I retract that statement and I apologize.

Yaw-Yan itself as an empty hand style has techniques for both Sports and Combat...but Yaw-Yan Arnis as I find it I(and this is just my personal observation) does not have the techniques or at least the method of teaching to teach it to someone who wants to use it in sports.

One can teach you how to properly shoot a ball into a hoop...and thats Basketball already for someone who just want to learn how to shoot that ball. But for one who wants to compete, he needs more techniques like dribbling, passing, plays etc.

Yaw-Yan Arnis is a style I respect and the fact that most of us know nothing exactly about that style, it most probably has a few things up its sleeve.

Again...let me just set it straight that I dont think Yaw-Yan Arnis is my best tool to join sports Arnis and thats basically it.

More power to you Silent Blade and Id be happy to check out the thread you posted about...however, I might not be in a position to post any remarks re that topic...

I was doing badminton this morning with my wife in a gym near my place...when we were done,I started doing the sinawali with two badminton rackets...i learned that along long time ago from Arjuken of Master Presas...thats basically what I know about Arnis...and now you know why I cant comment in that thread :)

Thanks

8. Silentblade

Silentblade Silent Death

Glad to see everything's settled.

By the way, if you want to know more about FMA you can join us in our monthly FMA Gathering at UP Diliman. Every month, Masters, Guros and Instructors from various styles present a demonstration.Check out this thread. January 2006 FMA Gathering

9. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

Hello Wanlu,
    I'd gladly show you some arnis if I could but I am nursing an injury which will take a few months to heal. I am not a master and am still learning myself. I don't even have a fixed club, only a regular group of friends I practise with. The way I teach, I start with warm-ups which is light swinging of the sticks with both hands, some footwork, squat variations and some push-ups, preferably plyometrics. My warm-ups do not resemble calisthenics. My warm-ups are already the basic techniques done from a light manner to faster and stronger. I do this to save time for all of us. You can also do this on your own.

After the warm-up done en masse, the class practise drills selected for the individual's level. Some drills are done solo, but most are interactive. I tell my partners that we meet to train with one another so "let's not waste time". Solo drills must be done at home as homework. A lazy guy who obviously doesn't do his/her homework doesn't last long with the group. I don't kick them out, I just basically ignore them in class. I want doers, not talkers. After class, we all can go out and eat if they want.

An important part of class is the controlled sparring. Against a beginner, we never go all out, unlike in many kickboxing clubs who beat up their new members under the wrong idea that a pecking order has to be established and the newbie must learn to overcome his fear. That is bul*****. I takes different strokes. A bully is cut down to size (they never come back actually). A scared student is enticed; I have allowed myself to be hit (ouch!) just to do this. Others need to be "played with' to make them appreciate the finer points of arnis and discourage them from relying on brute force. 'Intellectuals' are shown that brute force can overcome finesse under certain conditions. A good club is one that allows a student to grow. I strongly discourage cultism, or blind obedience. But right now, I cannot teach.

This is where the selection of an arnis school comes in. Observe how sparring is taught, and you will know if you have a good class or not. Ask the ARPI guys where you can learn arnis. They will help you. The Crame gym, I think, will accomodate you. They train in the morning.

Silentblade has also offered an excelllent suggestion. Attend one of the monthly FMA gatherings held at UP Diliman. We have been very careful to keep the gathering friendly, and mind you, we have never had anyone show off his art while putting down another. We will be quick to put down an unfriendly participant, and many of us are capable of enforcing that unwritten rule.

We had outstanding people join us like Rommel Tortal and his Pekiti-Tirsia group, Yuli Romo and his Bahad Zubu (Ilustrisimo) group, Robert Morales, the ARPI national team, Abon Baet of Garimot, Vic Sanchez of Lightning Scientific Arnis-Sibko Teros and many others. These experts have openly shared their art for FREE. The only payment is to be open and non-critical. We want to keep the gathering open, friendly and accessible even to those who don't have money. Leave ego and politics behind and you are free to join us.

10. wanlu99

Thanks very much RedBagani for your posts...your team sounds really interesting but I will only disappoint you if I join your training now cos Im a slow learner. God willing, after a few months when Im ready for light sparring as in light sparring...maybe I can join you Sir and wont disppoint you as much as I will disppoint you if I join you now. :)

Thanks SilentBlade for the info about the FMA gathering, thats a prestigous gathering and I will have to pass for now. Id like to learn basic first so I wont look stupid when Im with the big names in Arnis...Im quite optimistic that at least 6 months of training is good enough to learn a few things about Arnis...

Im starting this week...wish me luck.

FYI Yaw-Yan Senior Brother Boy Garcia apparently is also into Arnis lately...

more power to all of you.

BTW, I invited Sir Diego Vega to join us and watch the Yaw-Yan fight night in Yaw-Yan Makati this Sat at 7pm...pls PM me if you genltlemen can join us. It promises to be agood fight night since it will feature Yaw-Yan and the MuayThai National Team...with BullHanded,TatKunTou,Elements and some URCC and Fearless fighters...

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 9, 2006
  11. Silentblade

Silentblade Silent Death

Trust me, you don't need to have anything to be in the monthly FMA gathering. Your presence and an open mind is only the requirement.

12. oosh

oosh Valued Member

Yeh Wanlu you should definitely go, I always look forward to the videos that are kindly recorded. Hopefully I'll be able to attend one during my visit in the summer :D

13. wanlu99

oh I definitely wont miss it...but Id like to learn a few things about Arnis first before I go...Id like to be able to learn the language first so to speak.

I start tomorrow :love:

Wish me luck

14. Amok

Amok Valued Member

Maybe ,maybe not.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2006
  15. Amok

Amok Valued Member

You didn't show up Wanlu. I was hoping to see you. Instead I met Diego Vega.

16. wanlu99

Amok

So sorry Bro...had a gig that day and had a super early gig the ff day...

Your painting is ready for pick up...

Openning of Yaw-Yan Bulacan on Sunday 3pm...I hope you can make it so you can get it na...it looked great.

youre all invited to join us.

Thanks

Wanlu

17. Amok

Amok Valued Member

Haha! Got the painting. Won't be able to make it because had to leave all of a sudden. Please give apologies to Master.

18. Diego_Vega

Diego_Vega Frustrated pacifist

I apologize for that Amok. Hope I didn't ruin your evening. ;-)

19. burungkol

burungkol Team Yaw-Yan

It was an honor to see you at the tourney don diego. :D Thanks for dropping by :)

20. Amok

Amok Valued Member

You did. There was this really hot chick I was checking out and you had to cover my view. At least with wanlu I could've looked over his shoulder even if I was seated and he was standing in front of me..... :woo:

JK Wanlu.... :)