Arnis

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Melanie, May 2, 2002.

1. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I'd also like to take this time to announce my retirement from full contact stickfighting with my unbeaten record. No sarcastic comments from Adam please!

:D

Its a good point by Stump, instead of telling us who hasn't beaten you, tell us who you've beat! ;)

2. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Stump.

What's "indefeated" mean?

3. stump

stump Supersub

<<<Stump.

What's "indefeated" mean?>>>

You tell me Andy....you said it first!!!! :D

4. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I think we're all wondering the same thing :)

5. Andy Murray

Ah, you got me with an Arco Typo you devil you!

Next to each other on the keyboard so what can I say.

I arrogantly refuse to use spellcheckers, so that's what happens.

Call me an SOB (again).

Nah, Call me Adam!

6. Cain

Cain New Member

How about Saddam ;)

Sorry, could'nt resist :D

|Cain|

7. Andy Murray

Hey Cain, check my sig! :D

8. Cain

Cain New Member

Nice sig Andy, seems to fit the description ;)

wild guess on my part but pretty accurate :D

ps - that's Hussaine

[j/k]

|Cain|

Last edited: Mar 27, 2003
  9. Andy Murray

Cain,

I denounce you.

We make allowances for you being from Bombay India, but I suspect you are in fact a Scouser from Liverpool hiding your diction with the odd grammatical error.

I further add that you are a Troll of the lowest denominator, and your posts shall be struck off as a matter of due procedure, in light of your incessant ability to stick to the point.

What happened to this thread?

Damn, accidentally destroyed it.

What a shame.

:D

Last edited: Mar 27, 2003
  10. moromoro

moromoro New Member

goodbye arnis thread, this is the last page

if you look at it, it starts out rather dull, the middle is excellent and it ends rather dull also....

11. Andy Murray

Well that's a matter of perspective surely?

12. Gryphon Hall

Gryphon Hall Feeling Scholler

Really Cheap but Combat Ready Sticks

Actually, it is now illegal to do any challenging anywhere, but your point is very, very, very, very good, if not the truth. Actually, I find it more comforting when some old, obviously good fighter you train with says something like "Look, kid. I am not unbeatable. Look see, I got injured here and here 'coz I made this and that mistake during the match. So when your opponent does this and that, which did me in, do this instead." Fortunately, I've met people like that and they don't go around teaching invincible arnis. Just ordinary blokes.

By the way, to keep on track, what me and my friends usually do is go to a furniture shop and buy rattan or kamagong from them with the thickness we want and have them cut it down into different lengths. It's dirt cheap but because they are furniture grade, they last reasonably long even under, er, "heavy stress". And even if it finally deteriorates, we just go back and buy some more. Really cost effective; pretty too, since it can already have designs etched or printed on it (sometimes for free), and is already primed for shellac or varnish.

What do you think? Hope it works in your locales.:D
    :woo: moromoro, kung pinoy ka man, nakakahiya ka. buti't pina-alis ka na dito. kung di ka pinoy, umuwi ka na lang sa kung saan ka nanggaling at magtanim ng kamote.

13. juramentado

juramentado lean, mean eating machine

I'd like to translate this for the non-tagalog speaking FMAers here but so much "flavor" would be lost in translation. Suffice to say that no four letter words in our language were used in this statement :D

14. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

I'd also like to add that is if I see anything else that isn't in English I'll delete it.

Gryphon Hall: This is an English speaking forum. Post in English please.

15. DeeTee

DeeTee Valued Member

"Moromoro, if this is the case how come there are so many "undefeated" masters walking around the Phillipines???? Methinks some of the,m weren't doing as much challenging as they aught to"

Stump, I think this a quite a sizeable generalisation. How do you know how many people are walking around claiming to be undefeated masters? The Philippines covers a very large area. It's not like the channel Isles. When I went to Manila, my in-laws were talking about taking the new super ferry down to Cebu as it was a lot faster now. I assumed it was like taking the catamaran from the Dover to Calais. When I asked how long the journey would take they told me 18 hours! Add this to the fact that there's over 7000 islands that make up the Philippines then it's quite probable there will be a number of people claiming to be undefeated - possibly in their own or neighbouring province.

The other point is that just because someone claims they've never been beaten, it doesn't necessarily mean that all those encounters have been in death matches etc. There are forms of play that many people in the west aren't aware. Have you heard of Muestracion or Palatsanay? In Paete, Laguna, there's an Eskrima tournament every year where they fight with no armour and the rules are more or less made up on the spot by the two contestants before they fight. For example it could be close quarter only, the first one to get the disarm, the first one to get the head shot (or the clear indication of the head shot i.e. pulled) etc. So under these circumstances I imagine that it is quite possible for individuals to claim being undefeated in 10's, sometimes 100's of fights. I recall my previous Instructor telling me about a conversation he had with Intin Karin. He asked him how it was possible for someone to be undefeated in over 200 fights? Karin said that most of the fights were very short and most had rules involved (such as above). We naturally make the assumption that it must have been in the ring (or it's equivalent) because the closest we've all seen to an all out stickfight is the Dog Brothers. If you look at them as an example, I know they say "No winners" etc, but Marc Denny has had over 250 fights - I think, Eric Knause must have had a similar number and have had the upper hand in the vast majority.

16. Gryphon Hall

Gryphon Hall Feeling Scholler

I am very sorry, I got carried away; I wanted to PM but as he was banned, I didn't think it was possible. I'm sorry. It won't happen again; everyone, please accept my apologies.

But please excuse me from translating that blurb (or at least, Master Yoda, I shall just PM the translation to you, if you want it). It's really nothing. Rather shallow of me, actually.

17. valetudo74

valetudo74 Master of Ching Ching POW

How odd, my studies in Arnis were under Rick Clark. It could be coincidence that my instructor shares the same name as another Rick Clark. Is the Rick Clark you're speaking of from North Carolina, or England? The Rick Clark I trained under in North Carolina teaches directly from Remy Presas' lineage as well. He is also a 5th Degree Black Belt and has his own style called Jop Kune Kenpo. All of my tactical weapons training and street survival training are based upon this system.

18. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Hi,

This is Ricks website - check it out and see if its the same one. :)

http://www.ao-denkou-kai.org/

19. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

I don't have time to read the other posts so here's my tip on choosing sticks.

1. The cheapest sticks are rattan or yantok. The more expensive ones are kamagong. These are preferred since the type of wood is hard and tough enough so that after repeated bashing, the wood curves instead of just splintering.

2. For rattan sticks, choose nodes that are close together. The closer the better.

3. The black spiraling marks usualy seen on rattan sticks are mostly for aesthetic purposes. Sticks are dried to achieve the necessary toughness and to keep up with demand, these are usually done using blow torches. Sun dried is better but takes too long. Go for (2).

20. aml01_ph

aml01_ph Urrgggh...

Okay. I found the time to read the other posts. Too bad I missed the debate.
    :(

Damn Bandwidth :yeleyes: