Arnis

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Melanie, May 2, 2002.

1. moromoro

moromoro New Member

hi

thaks colin

yes you are repeating but thatts all right it is a public forum and there are rules!!

"Unfortunately the internet martial arts boards are peppered with people who only want to talk tough and look for verbal fights. We're not interested in those type of people here...those who talk tough online are usually more mouth than skill."

Youre exactly right on this point, But i guess i will probably see more of this type of examples.....

as i said before i hope to have a website up later this year i will keep you guys posted, we have plans for the future also which include seminars i will keep you guys posted on that too.....
    then we will see which people can really speak up or shut up. hahaha

thanks

terry

2. johndoch

johndoch upurs

quote moro - "let this forum be for filipino martial arts practitioners"

Hi moro

The forums are for all they are set up to teach and enlighten all artists on the boards whether they have something to teach or something to ask. Dont fall into the trap of assuming the "my styles better than yours" attitude.

By the way if you check other forums on TKD, Thai, JKD etc you will not find anyone saying "this is for our style only f off".

You should try looking at other styles to increase your knowledge. As they say knowledge is power.

3. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Speaking of Seminars, here's a link to the Photo Gallery, with a photo of the MAP Charity Eskrima Seminar;

Group Mug Shot

I'm in black on the far right. Yoda in the centre. Other Mappers include Liz, Greyghost, Tintin, Silver, Spike, Freeform, Fluffydoc, Elhiggito. Can't remember who else was there now.

Just reinforcing what John has just said. Folks here like to crosstrain and keep an open mind.

4. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

How did I miss this interesting debate :D

The two pair of sticks I got cost £16 a pair, and there not good. Cracks soon started appearing length ways. And thats without a real stick bashing! :eek:

How can you tell if there unshelled?

I'm not sure what style we do, its just done as an add on to the Kung fu stuff. Do they have arnis type stuff in Kung Fu?

5. moromoro

moromoro New Member

johndoch
    Dont fall into the trap of assuming the "my styles better than yours" attitude.
    if you have a look at my other post i do not have this attitude about the FMA.. iam a true practitioner of FMA

My only complaint is that there are also some awesome grandmasters in the philippines and elsewhere who are non commercial, some of which are better that some of the most commercial schools, and they have the past fighting victories to prove it....(these GM deserve true respect)
    and also many people dont train regularly enough and some have only trained with thier systems grandmasters in seminars once a year or once every two years this is not good enough.. But even worse are those video tape practitioners,,,, The majority of practitioners in the FMA today have not experienced a real stick fight not with rattan mind you, never had a situation where a knife was involved and most have not even had a real fight...

but yet you sometimes see these people claiming that they are real masters...(bulls**t go to cebu, zamboanga or basilan and try to do this and if you survive then you got respect)
    i know that GM epping atillo in cebu is trying to organise a fullcontact no protection tournament in the near future i wll keep this forum posted on this...

all i can say is dont have the attitude that your style is best because it is a commercial school, because if you really look in to its history half what your master tells you about his fighting experience and victories is bullsh*t)

thanks

and this is not a politically motivated post.

iam expecting a barrage of replys

6. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

But your the only one that keeps bringing up the debate on whats best. Many of us take what we can from different styles, so the best style debate becomes irelevant ;) What do you mean by commercial school exactly? I know motives can change once an instructor is trying to make money, but a good teacher is a good teacher regardless of where they teach and if they charge.

I'd rate my skill as average with the sticks, only practicing once or twice a week, but I wasn't planning on entering a contest!

7. moromoro

moromoro New Member

I know motives can change once an instructor is trying to make money, but a good teacher is a good teacher regardless of where they teach and if they charge.

location is not an issue, it is the quality of the teacher that is, also many FMA in recent years have added a grading structure which is modelled on the japanese dan system, this is not traditional the masters who have implemented this have done so because they have opened their systems to the public and are teaching a large number of students, what would usually only take the student 3-10 years to master now takes 10-15-30years the teachers with this japanese style structure have implemented this to keep students for a longer period of time and also to keep certain techniques and teachings away from the students....
    commercial schools are schools opened to the general public....
    and i know that many of the people have not had the pleasure to train in the philippines (the home of eskrima) so it may be hard for you to understand where iam comming from but the quality is very different you must experience this at least once if you are a true practitioner of the FMA
    also todays teaching generation are the last to have had true fighting experience many of these grandmasters are getting old now and some may not last much longer (GM ben lema passed away this jan rip) so it is important that more people study with these other grandmasters and learn as much as they can....

all iam saying and this will be the last time on this thread, is that while we still have the chance we should practice with these Grandmasters while we have the opportunity.....because they are our last link to the past...

8. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I agree with what you say moromoro. Its really important a good lineage is kept from these GM's so FMA's can continure to be taught properly. Its a lot like the JKD people on this thread, they wouldn't consider anyone a true JKD practitioner unless they have a good traceable lineage back to Bruce Lee and his original students. Sounds like your doing your bit to keep the art alive! ;)

9. stump

stump Supersub

i've always wondered about the amount of undefeted GMs in the FMA. It seems a bit suspicious to me.

Either they're telling porkies (some are, though not all I'll bet)

I'd imagine some have picked their fights very carefully

We need Don King in Manila to sort this out immediately :)

10. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

What you tryin to say stumpy ;)

My GM 'LL Ave any or your GM's any time of the week! :D

11. stump

stump Supersub

Nothin,

I was just makin a point....not trying to stir it, honest guv :D

12. moromoro

moromoro New Member

thanks pgm316..

yes lineage is very important especially these days.

Sounds like your doing your bit to keep the art alive!
    yes im trying, hopefully my website will be up this year, this will help alot..

stump, i've always wondered about the amount of undefeted GMs in the FMA. It seems a bit suspicious to me.

well i dont know but i can almost guarantee that many overexagerate the truth, most of the confrontations where contest to see who had the best skill (an exchange of skill) although they used hard wood sticks there was no way a death would have occured, another misconception of death matches where those which where organised with the city council and the police permission, in these fights both participants agreed beforehand on the type of weapon used (size, material) in these matches there where also plenty of bystanders and followers and a official, there was no way that death could have occured in these matches as well.....

thanks guys
    gee this thread is bloody long now....

terry

13. stump

stump Supersub

I know the "patayan" is usually a death match in name only. but many of these guys are claiming to be undefeated not survivors!! In my opinion they chose the fights they had pretty carefully which degrades the term "undefeated" as it suggests they are undefeated against anyone who challenged them. If they've been avoiding certain people then that doesn't bode well for their records.

14. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

Who can blame them, how often would you want to risk fighting another top fighter and also the risk of injury whether you win of not. It'd be a brutal fight between two top stick fighters. I always train with the thought in mind that my opponent won't be an expert ;)

From what I can tell, its often because of students that stories are created and exagerated, then these myths and legends are created.

15. stump

stump Supersub

Well I can tell people that I'm undefeated in the UFC and that's the truth, but it would be wrong to open a vale tudo gym and use this fact on my marketing literature!!!!!!!!

And it's the marketing that's the point here imo....or maybe i'm just off on a pointless rant again :)

16. moromoro

moromoro New Member

both good points,
    but also you had to expect any challenges and sometimes people came to find you.. which made it almost impossible to turn down if a guy knocks on your door asking for a "fight" this is why you had to be ready at all times...and you have to train as if you will be fighting an expert because of this very real danger...

17. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

You could always arrange the fight then pull out the day before with a bad splinter injury! :D

I'm impressed Stump, I didn't know you was unbeaten in UFC, it’s the stuff legends are made of! :)

18. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

That wouldn't be because you never entered a UFC Colin would it???

In which case I'm indefeated too!

19. officer_fujita

officer_fujita New Member

Maybe because practitioners nowadays don't have as much time to practice their art as their masters did? usually, practitioners nowadays are also busy with work, school, etc. So, most of the time, their training is limited to a few hours a week.

:)

20. stump

stump Supersub

<<<but also you had to expect any challenges and sometimes people came to find you.. which made it almost impossible to turn down if a guy knocks on your door asking for a "fight" this is why you had to be ready at all times...and you have to train as if you will be fighting an expert because of this very real danger...>>>

Moromoro, if this is the case how come there are so many "undefeated" masters walking around the Phillipines???? Methinks some of the,m weren't doing as much challenging as they aught to :)

Andy , that's my point and there's a difference between being undefeated (ie Me and pgm) and indefeated (ie you) :p
    Sorry couldn't resist........but my point is these guys saying they're undefeated is not telling the full story, and exploiting people's assumptions. Some of these grandmasters will be legit and some will be bullshitting wannabees....how do we tell the difference?