Arnis

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Melanie, May 2, 2002.

1. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

I finally made it back to self defence last night!

What an enjoyable evening it was too. After going through the usual warm up, syllabus, practicing break falls, locks and holds, the Sensei produced several light coloured sticks and asked if we wanted to learn how to use them. He gave us all 15 mins with two arnis sticks and asked at the end of the session if we would be interested in getting some of our own and either doing a little training on this during this SD class or if there was enough interest, to start up another class during the week. I have to admit, the idea of weapons appeals to my dark side :D

Just a couple of questions if I may though. Are these just called Arnis sticks? Is there anywhere we can buy them that doesn't charge £15.00 for a pair, plus postage and packaging?

2. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Wow, thats actually quite cheap (depending on the quality), Arnis sticks are usually made out of Rattan or Tiger cane, you could probably get them made quite cheap.

Thanx

3. Melanie

It seems that Blitz have altered their prices to be even cheaper! Just had confirmation that they are now £4.50 per stick plus p&p!

I'm happy now...

4. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

They're most commonly referred to (in catalogs and such) as "Eskrima Sticks" but may also be listed as "Arnis Sticks" or "Kali Sticks."

However, the British/European suppliers may use the term "Arnis Sticks" more commonly ... I don't know.

The words: Arnis, Kali, Eskrima (or sometimes Escrima) are pretty much interchangable ... especially in the very broad and general sense of looking for sticks.

Mike

5. Melanie

Thanks Mike,

I was told you'd be the best person to talk to ;)

6. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

LOL ...

Glad I could help :)

Mike

7. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Hi Melanie

Don't get the Blitz sticks. If you're training anything like properly they'll last you about a month (if you're lucky). Look for unshelled rattan - you may have to pay a little more but they will last a lot longer.

Is your Sensei qualified to teach the Filipino arts or has he just been on a couple of seminars? If he is then what style?

YODA

8. Melanie

Hi Yoda,

From what I have gleaned from my Sensei, he was trained by Rick Clark, who was directly trained by Remy Presas. He attended a seminar with Remy just before he died and has continued his training with Rick Clark. I'm afraid I'm not sure what style he is outside of the information above - but will ask him when I see him on Monday. I'll make some enquiries re: unshelled rattan sticks over the weekend and hopefully offer some alternatives to Blitz come Monday. Thanks. (Rather pay more now, than pay little, often!) ;)

9. YODA

Sounds like Modern Arnis - a good complement to your Karate. Rick Clark has a good reputation too :D

10. Melanie

Oh thanks Yoda. :)

You've heard of Rick Clark? He's over here this month doing a tour on pressurepoints. We see him here on the 22nd May for a Seminar. Do you use pressurepoints much yourself?

11. YODA

12. hongkongfuey

hongkongfuey Kung Fu Geek

It's not the length that matters Yoda - it's what you do with it.

Sorry - could'nt resist!

13. YODA

Hey HKF

That's what they tell ALL the "Shorties" LOL!

Don't believe it pal :D

14. Krysdaggr

Krysdaggr New Member

It definetley determines how a woman works it. The Escrima stick you nasty boys!!! lol bad linde bad girl go to your room

15. YODA

No no....

Bad linde bad girl go to my room :D

16. Krysdaggr

Krysdaggr New Member

lol cute!

17. Kendo_Cougar

Kendo_Cougar New Member

Cool, but i never heard of any Filipino Karate around here.
    That sounds cool though!

:yeleyes:

18. Acekicken

Acekicken Submission Fighter

Warriors Den Has Good Sticks

19. moromoro

moromoro New Member

YOUR ALL SPENDING TOO MUCH ON LOW QUALITY STICKS
    I HAVE JUST COME BACK FROM TRAINING IN THE PHILIPPINES, I PICKED UP A PAIR OF 1.5 INCH DIAMETER KAMAGONG STICKS FOR 260 PESOS FOR THE PAIR...

I ALSO BROUGHT HOME A NUMBER OF OTHER STICKS INCLUDING RATTAN AND AN ANTIQUE BAHI STICK 50YRS OLD WAS GIVEN TO ME BY MY TEACHER GM ANDY ABRIAN HE IS IN MARK WILEY'S BOOK (2000) ?? FILIPINO FIGHTING ARTS THOERY AND PRACTICE.. IT WAS TRULY AN HONOUR TO RECIEVE THIS....IT IS NOW UP ON MY WALL I WILL POST PHOTOS WHEN MY SCANNER IS RUNNING ..

THANKS

TERRY

20. Melanie

Welcome :)

Nice to hear from a fellow stick basher and to come with good tidings on cheaper sticks too :D

Just as a suggestion, please would you type your posts in lower case as CAPS normally is used for "EMPHASIS" and/or "SHOUTING" - Just a bit of 'net-ettiquette' for you ;)

Look forward to hearing more whispers from you...