Arnis

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Tom O'Brien, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Tom O'Brien

Tom O'Brien Valued Member

Arnis (Filipino stick fighting) tonite! Beautiful night out on the lawn. Warm up with combos up & down the lawn. Banda y banda, figure 8, rompida, up & down, abaniko, redonda, sinawali, & the flow! Good work :cool:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2013
  2. shootodog

shootodog restless native

arnis is filipino stick fighting?

3. Simon D

Simon D New Member

Yes but its not quite as simple as that, there are many more elements too it, I am sure others with more experieince will be able to explain better than myself but we use the stick in order to be able to use knife, machete, empty hands as one translates to the other.

4. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

:eek:

5. Simon D

Simon D New Member

Bit harsh.

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Simon,

They're taking the mickey out of someone who feels the need to point out that arnis is Filipino stick fighting to a forum of arnis experts. More likely, the OP didn't write it for this audience at all and is using stock text to advertise a class. Which I'll be addressing next.

7. Simon D

Simon D New Member

Right I get it, cheers for the info.

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

No worries. It's all a tempest in a teapot anyway. Tom's a good poster. It was just clear that this wasn't really Tom talking to us. Just a cut and paste. That's all. No big deal.

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

That aside, Tom, judging by the terminology, it's a Modern Arnis class yes? I'm no expert in Modern Arnis, though I've trained with a couple of groups in the area. How did you work banda y banda, etc.? Partner drills?

10. MadMonk108

MadMonk108 JKD/Kali Instructor

It was that or :Alien:

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Perhaps this should be in the training logs section?

12. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

We'll see. I'd love to hear more about it first.

13. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

AP-
    Banda y Banda is a crossing action done in the front of the body aka almost like an abanico, but it uses full arm movement. In Modern arnis, the tapi tapi drills are usually two man along with the block and counter, stick grabbing as well as the disarms.. Kinda like Sumbrada in some regards

14. shootodog

shootodog restless native

To be fair to the OP, I was just teasing. Would like to hear more about what you guys did in further detail. I am glad that FMA is practiced in the open.

15. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Right. Sorry. I wasn't very clear. I was wondering what they DID with banda y banda. I've done the motions in the air, but not used them in, say, bisidario. People have attempted to teach me tapi tapi, but my brain declared guerrilla warfare on the information. Perhaps because my Doce Pares teachers used tapi tapi to describe something totally different. ;)

16. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

When I studied modern arnis in the Philippines, banda ya banda was said to be kind of a blast through application as the actions were used to cut through attackers. It was more of a suicidal (my instructor's thoughts) approach to get through the mass attack.

17. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Interesting. Thanks for that! Anyone else?

18. Citom

Citom Witless Wonder

All of the above are described in one of the first books that GM Remy Presas wrote, "Modern Arnis: Philippine Martial Art "Stick Fighting"" AKA "The Pink Book". I bought this book when I first started learning Arnis at the University of the Philippines. The version with Tagalog text had a green cover.

19. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

I have one of the first printings of the red book as identified by the above post.. It is marked not for export and is one of the best books I ever received on arnis

20. Citom

Citom Witless Wonder

[​IMG]
    The Pink Book