Arnis? woman ko's ex-boxing world champ

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Diego_Vega, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Diego_Vega

Diego_Vega Frustrated pacifist

This is actually more of a pitiable story about the sad state of former world boxing champion Rolando Navarette, who's literally fallen on really hard times. I have know idea if that woman knew arnis at all, but ... its pretty obvious that an armed woman can match up with an ex-world boxing champ.

Ex-world boxing champ knocked out in GenSan
    Posted 03:23am (Mla time) Mar 21, 2005
    By Aquiles Zonio
    Inquirer News Service
    Editor's Note: Published on page A1 of the Mar. 21, 2005 issue of the Philippine Daily Inquirer
    GENERAL SANTOS CITY, South Cotabato, Philippines -- On the eve of Manny Pacquiao's match with Mexican fighter Erik Morales in Las Vegas, another boxer from this city went down in shame.
    Rolando Navarrete, a former World Boxing Council junior lightweight champion, lost to a woman, who took just a single shot to knock him out.
    On Saturday, at past 9 a.m., Navarrete engaged his neighbor, Jennifer Abellanosa, in an argument over a trivial matter in Laray Bagsakan, a drop-off point for farm goods.
    As tempers flared, Navarrete, nicknamed the "Bad Boy from Dadiangas (the former name of this city)," allegedly pushed Abellanosa, who landed flat on the ground.
    Not contented, the former boxing champ tried to deliver a punch, but Abellanosa managed to grab a steel pipe and, with all her strength, hit him in the head.
    Navarrete staggered before falling to the ground. He tried to get up, but his knees wobbled. He dropped unconscious.
    Onlookers rushed him to a nearby hospital where he was treated.
    Abellanosa was brought to the Bula police station. There, the woman claimed she was just defending herself. She showed the police her clothes, which, she said, were soiled after Navarrete pushed her.
    She said she had no regrets in knocking down Navarrete, who, she said, had become a pain in the neck in their neighborhood in Llido Subdivision.
    The case was amicably resolved. A few hours after Navarrete arrived at the police station, he forgave the woman.
    The former boxing champ just asked for P500 as settlement for his injury. Police released Abellanosa after she paid the amount.

2. shotokanwarrior

shotokanwarrior I am the One

Good for her. He is a sad piece of crap.

3. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Hehehe, dont you just love it when that happens:D

4. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Sounds like he asked for it.

5. Jayevan79

Jayevan79 New Member

Maybe it does serve him right. I just hope we all learn a lesson from this guy who was so revered back then but had to end up like he is now simply because he can't handle success and failure well enough...

6. shootodog

shootodog restless native

quick thinking saves the day!

7. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

It seems that this case has the elements of a legitimate self-defense. The guy was a former boxing champ (Ability to do damage), he started the violence by pushing her (malicous intent), she (presumably) could not get away. I think Navarette should have been the one to pay her for damages, bodily harm, mental anguish, etc. etc

8. Tank Gurl

Tank Gurl A Thorny Rose

I agree

9. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

I'm just dying to know what this "trivial matter" was that set her off like that ;)

... perhaps as trivial as Navarret's own mind ... I mean in his own mind ;)