Arnis Kali ....??????????

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Buddroux, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Diego_Vega

Diego_Vega Frustrated pacifist

I thought karate came from Okinawa?

2. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Nope, According to Karate's world champion the late Hollywood based historian and founder of historical films, the great O Sensie Jean Cluade Van Dam I am definitely sure he said it was from Belgium and he states "It was for many hundereds of years hidden in the secret dance form known to many as Ballet" "I have made it my life's work to show the general public the true meaning of Karate via the Hollywood film industry";)

3. Pat OMalley

He is now in the process of developing a new hybrid style combining FMA with Karate, this new style will from now on be known as Karanis, with it's sub division's Shotokali and eskrimakido.;)

4. shootodog

shootodog restless native

dakilang bayani! (great bayani!). well said bro! well said!

karate didn't start in okinawa! it started in japan when k-1.... :bang:

speaking of hybrid systems, there have been many filipinos who have developed hybrids with arnis/ escrima/ kali as the base to attract the karate/ tkd/ aikido set on the islands. first there was escrido, then there was arnis vee jitsu, then there was yaw- yan (which adpoted and created many kicks that were not found in the old kicking systems), and many many more. i remember a guy who asked if i wanted to learn his system which was a mix of arnis, judo, and boxing. he seemed like a nice well meaning guy.

as for the art being learned in backyards, in secret, in the cover of darkness, and without proper belting systems? that's the way it's been done for centuries. happy are those who learn in an organised manner with ranks and things! but here in this poor country, that hardly matters.

5. Diego_Vega

Diego_Vega Frustrated pacifist

I was gonna write something serious, but you guys got me distracted ... (ballet? Isn't that Russian MA? Systema?)

Will write something serious later. Maybe much later. Supertyphoon is about to hit us here and I have to get back to reality quickly. Hope to continue later.

6. krys

krys Valued Member

Seriously the cossack dances performed at the Bolchoi have their origin in martial arts.

I' watched spetsnaz troops perform workouts under a cossack dance master (see bearded short guy in the middle photo http://martial-arts-network.com/qa16.htm) , these were among the best exercises I've seen (complete warm up and stretch of the whole body done in less than 10") and martial applications were evident.

7. Pat OMalley

Just heard on the news about your super typhoon and that their is another on the way, hope all is well with you over there.

regards

Pat

8. shootodog

shootodog restless native

what blind luck! the typhoon swerves and misses the densly populated central luzon. it hits the forsets of the pacific coast.

9. Pat OMalley

we have been seeing it on the news for the past 3 days and more so today, seems to be a lot od damage and a lot of people lost. And a lot of it due to illegal logging.

regards to all

Pat