arnis/kali training Diary

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by pinoy, Nov 12, 2004.

1. pinoy

pinoy Valued Member

Hi guys! dunno if this will interest you, but I would lilke to log/post my experiences, questions during my FMA training. Would try to do this religiously so I can track my development & also get (hope so :eek: ) from you guys inputs :love: .

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

It'd interest me.

3. pinoy

pinoy Valued Member

1st day - introduced arnis art :)
    teached the strikes - 13 strikes
    wow simple, or so i thought :eek: .
    then the methods.
    2nd-5th day - 12 methods, w/ footwork - gosh i dunno if im heavy or my feet is. strikes w/ doblete :bang: - how many times i have hit my head. my doblete did'nt look that good, like my GM's.
    tersia - this is nice, but lo; wait when my GM asked me to make it faster & he'll hit me anytime he wants & executing this tersia...
    bigay hataw :love: - this one i really enjoy, even its really hard at first, but it gives me the real feeling of the art.. aarrgghh... :eek: ... my hand was hit :cry:
    repetitions of the lessons from day 1-5, sometimes i got, but can't still give executions perfectly, i mean sometime, given strike is not the strike (execution) am supposed to do :D .

GM intro a some disarming technique, 1-5, I guess thats why they called it disarming, I think my arm is dislocated from my body :cry:

pardon if im not that good in expressing the things i want to express in this board, hope you guys enjoy, understand what im saying & try to give me a boost a7 tips :p .

till my next session next monday!! :bang:

4. pinoy

pinoy Valued Member

thanks ;) , pls feel free to laugh at my post :D :D

5. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

No laughing. It's good stuff. :)

Thirteen strikes, eh? I think most systems usually do 12.

Could you describe the methods? Doblete, tersia, and bigay hataw. I'm not familiar with the terms. (I could look them up, but you did want questions after all.)

Stuart

6. pinoy

pinoy Valued Member

if im not mistaken, pls correct me guys if im wrong, in modern arnis style, they have 12 strikes, GM is teaching me first, I dunno, he said Lightning Scientific is not a technique but a club/group, thus, he is teaching me first.. oh gosh i forgot teh term :confused: , its w/ a word ...serradda.
    doblete as in "double", one swing-two strike (am i right :confused: )

hey guys who are masters here help meee :p
    hey am just guessing, tersia, i think, in english is three, three strikes??

:cry: its just my idea, :D , we will ask them :p . hey guys help us on the terms LSAI is using...

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Serrada is "closed." It can refer to a range (close range as in the overall system "Eskrima Serrada") or a stick position from which you throw backhands readily. It's the opposite of "abierta."

Don't worry about the language. You're doing fine. And it's interesting to hear someone's experience. Keep it up.

"Doblete" and "tersia" make sense. Cheers!

Stuart

8. pinoy

pinoy Valued Member

wuushhh... :rolleyes: .. i thought am not making any sense here in the board :cry: :cry: ..

tnx stuart :D :D

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

No worries man.

10. silentwarrior

silentwarrior Valued Member

Are you talking about pekiti tersia? cause i believe i was told that if you go to the phillipines and ask someone they will say it is the art of scratching and biting. Serrada is a close quarters style developed by Angel Cabbales. I think it is a cool style because it uses your empty hand (or i think sometimes called live hand) alot more. unfortunatly i am far from being a Master.

11. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Pinoy,

Training journals are extremely useful. However the discussion forum might not be the best place to post it. Have you checked out MAP's Journal feature?

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/journal.php

You can start your own journal there which people can read and comment on it!

- Matt

12. pinoy

pinoy Valued Member

:eek: :eek:

thanks matt :)

guess have to see you guys there :eek:

13. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

No need for :eek: my friend! And make sure you post a link to the journal. Hey and if you get yours going, you'll shame me into getting caught up with my journal.

- Matt

14. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Hahahahahahahahaha.
    :D :D :D Well you did say laugh.:D

No really, I think what your doing is a good idea, maybe you should back it up with a hard copy, I.e. write a real diary for yourself and in 15 to 20 years time you can look back at your notes and think, jeez that comment was stupid, and oh look at that comment what a good idea, I should have picked up on that 15 years ago.

You will be amazed in years to come what will jog your memory.

Best regards

Pat

15. ryangruhn

ryangruhn Valued Member

Thats a great idea. I actually have somthing going like that on my site too. I have each thread dedicated to certian techniques and moves then I go from there.

Gruhn

16. pinoy

pinoy Valued Member

GREAT idea!! :eek: :D , however, am lazy in writing notes ei :cry: , when i was in college, i ask my friend that after our lessons, ill just photocopy his :p