Arnis Escrima Kali FMA?(no not again, don't worry!)

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by soon, Jul 27, 2005.

?

Arnis, Escrima, Kali, FMA?

1. Eskrima

13 vote(s)
    31.7%
  2. Arnis

9 vote(s)
    22.0%
  3. Kali

10 vote(s)
    24.4%
  4. FMA

9 vote(s)
    22.0%
  1. soon

soon New Member

Arnis Escrima Kali?(no not again, don't worry!)

Just for the sake of seeing what the most popular terms are, what do you call what you do? Arnis, Escrima or Kali?

I expect Kali will come out on top but it will be interesting to see the proportions.

Not wanting to get into a debate about what each means (done to death!!!!!).

One word answers if you can guys :D

Cheers

Last edited: Jul 28, 2005
  2. soon

soon New Member

Escrima

3. Diego_Vega

Diego_Vega Frustrated pacifist

Can you add a new option? A lot of us here in the Philippines just use "Filipino Martial Arts" now, FMA for short.

4. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Valued Member

actually, most of the people here i get to talk to doesn't even know what "Filipino Martial Arts" is or ever knew it exist... but would definitely give you the nod when you say "Arnis".

5. Diego_Vega

Diego_Vega Frustrated pacifist

Please allow me to correct myself, most of us here -- who do Filipino Martial ARts -- prefer to use the term FMA as a generic term for what we do (as opposed to proper style or system names) instead of the others because:

Kali - as a generic 1) people don't know what it is, 2) seems more like an imported term that overseas fma'ers are imposing on us

Arnis - misunderstood and misinformed connotation as "only stickfighting," a tanod (village security guards) art.

Erkrima - see above for arnis

6. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Valued Member

i totally agree with all of the above!

most people i get to talk to would go, "FMA? what is it? is there such? do you mean Arnis?", so its like they always correlate FMA to Arnis when its not the only FMA around. seems to be that the term "Arnis" is a more popular term than "FMA" when Arnis is supposed to be just another branch under FMA.

7. BatongBuhay

BatongBuhay Valued Member

all of d above

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I've had three FMA teachers.

Two arnises (one of which used the term eskrima later). One kali.

Doce Pares Arnis (aka Doce Pares Eskrima)
    Inosanto Kali
    Modern Arnis

9. Brunstick

Brunstick (^_^) I need a girlfriend

our system is called Kali. :D hmmm, now what are the differences between kali, arnis, and escrima? :rolleyes: and why do i feel like i'm opening a can of worms? :p

-nico-

10. shootodog

shootodog restless native

i'd go with fma.

the big difference is that you can charge your students more if you call it kali. as the entrance song of "ramapge" jackson goes: "it's all about the money. it's all about the money."

p.s. to hig: hey pretty mod! can you add an "FMA" to the poll options?

11. Raymund Suba

Raymund Suba Valued Member

In my club we use the term Arnis the same way you guys use the term FMA. In other words, for us, Arnis means everythign from weapons to empty hands.

I agree with littlebadboy, tell someone you do FMA and they'll ask if you're in a dance group, say Arnis and they know what you mean (or at least part of what you mean)

12. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

Soon as I work out how :eek:

13. Bayani

Bayani Valued Member

I'm sticking with Kali because it's in the name of the systems I teach and it's what my instructors PREFFER me to use. Good enough for me. FMA is cool but to make things more complicated "combat" and "Filipino fighting arts" seem to be terms thrown around in my circles from a military and LEO Special tactics point of view as they want to distance themselves with "Martial Arts". It's just words and it's all good. kali- arnis - eskrima, it's what you are able to do that counts.

14. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

I use all three terms, depending on who I am talking to. It makes good business sense.

15. Ferdie

Ferdie New Member

I use all four terms (including FMA) when speaking w/ different people. The terms are not different from each other (except FMA, w/c technically covers everything else like yaw-yan, dumog, etc.). What is different from each other are the actual systems themselves: Atienza Kali, Balintawak, Ilustrisimo, etc.

16. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

I use the terms Arnis and / or Eskrima in the same way, I also use FMA, I don't use Kali as I too found that most outside the PI who know very little about what FMA is all about see Kali as FMA, but the majority that practice FMA otherthan within the JKD fraternity tend to use Arnis / Eskrima, and the majority of the of the people in the PI have no idea what Kali is.

Also I generally found that the term Kali outside the PI is normally associated with in the public eye as being part of the JKD Concept teaching methods and what I teach is not hence I use Arnis / Eskrima (Eskrima with a 'K' by the way)

So FMA seems to be the more favoured amoungst most so as not to upset anyone. So I think that FMA needs to be added to the poll as well as all of the above and others such as Kali / Escrima, Arnis / Eskrima and Filipino Combat Arts.

Luckely the Dannino Tribe From Santo are out hunting the Sabre Tooth Hippopotumus at the moment so this one may well slip past them.

Best regards

Pat

17. soon

soon New Member

Hey, thanks for your input guys.... I wouldn't say I'm that new to FMA but it certainly requires a lot more research on my part (in the ongoing personal battle to be less ignorant!!). Some interesting points made, and certainly food for thought!

**I'm afraid I haven't got the Leet forum demigod skills required to add FMA to the poll!**

Pat: Actually, mines Eskrima with a k too, doh! If I was to say I do Blind Princess Eskrima and DP you would probably know exactly which wee Geordie bloke would be upset with me about this! Lol! :D

18. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

You wait till I tell him, he is going to slap you on the wrist for that hehehe. Mind you if you move fast enough he may get out of breath trying to catch you eh! My has he placed a few pounds on lately.

Best regards

Pat

19. soon

soon New Member

Snigger..... Even with the extra luggage he scares me!

20. Scotty Dog

Scotty Dog www.myspace.com/elhig

poll

Well I've edited the poll options but managed to zeroise them at the same time:(

Guess I'm not the moderating God I always thought I was :p