Are young athletes being taken advantage of?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by rivend, Mar 31, 2011.

1. rivend

rivend Valued Member

Are young athletes being ripped off by using their almost assured stardom to get them in debt or using them as a commercial commodity by greedy handlers, friends, and family?

Or should the young athletes be wise enough to avoid this trap and weather all the onslaughts by unscrupulous people trying to get their money. Or the athletes personal overindulgence monetarily on expensive items. Should they be expected to have self control at such a young age?

I personally think even if they are considered adults age wise the correct guidance is lacking in many cases and the greed and lust for monetary gain is taking precedence over what is good for the young fellow.

From stories I have read this was a major issue in the old school boxing world where as the fighter was left almost penniless after their career in a huge amount of cases.

2. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

Some are. For example I think young Sidney Crosby is being used to market the NHL and even though there are players just as talented as he is, unlike them, he is Canadian, speaks English fluently, and is better looking ( have seen on the net the girls freak out over him, he don't do anything for me though) I think its disgusting. Hockey is a TEAM sport not a one person show where you mostly focus on one star.

3. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

4. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Not since they banned me from the swimming baths :)

5. rivend

rivend Valued Member

lololololol

6. Taff

Taff The Inevitable Hulk

I don't see too much of a big deal fawning over athletes in their late teens or early twenties. People their age have shown in history that it's possible to be resilient at that age.
    It gets more dodgy when you have kids aged say, 8-14 being hyped up. Obviously I'm talking about football here. There's always some dodginess involved, and some of the behaviour from clubs is quite poor. eg the likes of Freddy Adu, John Obi Mikel, and recently Paul Pogba.