Are you a Goodie or a Baddie?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by jkzorya, Apr 15, 2007.

?

Which of these 3 lists of personality traits sounds best to you?

1. prudence, temperance, bravery, justice, faith, hope, love

43 vote(s)
    63.2%
  2. recklessness, self-indulgence, cowardice, injustice, mistrust, despondency, hate

6 vote(s)
    8.8%
  3. pride, covetousness, lust, anger, gluttony, envy, sloth

19 vote(s)
    27.9%
  1. jkzorya

jkzorya Moved on by request

Poll - Are you a Goodie or a Baddie?

Which of the following personality traits sound best to you? Pick which list you most agree with, and explain your choices below as you wish.

List A - 4 Greek cardinal virtues + 3 theological virtues
    prudence
    temperance / self-control
    bravery
    justice / fairness
    faith / trust
    hope
    love / compassion

List B - literal opposites of List A
    recklessness
    self-indulgence / gluttony or greed
    cowardice
    injustice / unfairness
    mistrust
    despondency / pessimism
    hate / cruelty

List C - the 7 deadly sins
    pride
    covetousness
    lust
    anger
    gluttony
    envy
    sloth

The point of this poll is simply to decide in these times of moral relativism whether there are still some common values which can be considered virtues and others which can be considered vices. If you picked mostly from list A you are a Goodie and if mostly from list B or C you are either a Baddie or not answering honestly, which also makes you a Baddie.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  2. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

I don't know........ I'm kind of a mix of A and B.

Does that make me human?

3. flashlock

flashlock Banned Banned

But the terms themselves are relative and have no real meaning (Derrida). So, I did not vote.

4. jujitsuka07

jujitsuka07 Body by Pizza Hut!

I wish I had every attribute in List A, but that is not so, unfortunately. I don't have very much courage and I have alot of mistrust. These two things go hand-in-hand with me because my trust has been betrayed and misused so many times in my young life, so I tend to not trust people, and to be tentative in order to guard myself. It's sad, I know :bang: . Self-control, justice, and love are things that I practice constantly though, although I don't always succeed, lol. :eek:

As for List C - WOW! Those are not good! :eek: I should hope through out my life that I keep those to a bare minimum.

BTW, me likey the Bible verse in your sig, jkzorya!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  5. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Ummm, is it only me? I don't think pride and anger are necessarily 'sins'...

6. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

I'm all the bad stuff. Must be the baller in me... :D

7. Lily

Lily Valued Member

I'M WITH YOU CHIMP!!!! Bet everyone will want to join the gang :p

8. 2E0WHN

2E0WHN Valued Member

All 3. For we are not all good.

9. jkzorya

Hi folks,
    Well I think we probably all fall short of list A, but I was trying to assess whether people think they sound good traits to aspire towards having - what we could consider commonality of purpose. I suspect that people actually have way more in common than they think they do most of the time - it's just that we put things differently and then shout at each other "no it's not like that at all!" especially if we know someone is from a generalised group we don't like (e.g. Christians, Buddhists, whatever). We don't really hear what they are saying with an open mind. We don't take what they're saying at face value - that is mistrust I suppose. We sometimes doubt a person's motives and that makes us inclined to doubt whatever they say.

Now then pride and anger. From a Christian perspective, pride is often considered the first and worst of sins - the flaw that gets everything else rolling. When we are proud we refuse to listen to others and we put our own desires or percieved needs above others. To put yourself second is an ideal goal of many faiths. To surrender to the will of God / Allah or to surrender to the Dao or the totality of all means that you are prepared to accept what life throws at you - you're not going to start getting all indignant and yelling - oh it's all so unfair, why is this happening to ME?!
    It doesn't mean you can't recognise and fight against injustice, but it is important to see how small you are individually within the bigger picture. Thinking "it's them or me" is not really a fair balance - that elevates you singly to a position of equality with the whole of everyone or everything else.

Avoiding anger doesn't mean you can't fight either. It just means you should keep your actions fair and proportional if you do. Christianity and Islam both have the idea if not striking someone in anger - hence, turning the other cheek means (to many theologians) not lashing out in venegeance. There is also a Muslim story of a soldier who was spat at by an enemy and he refused to kill him until his anger had subsided as otherwise he'd be killing the enemy for his own sake and not for the sake of Allah. The other soldier was so impressed that he converted to Islam and became an ally. The idea of "an eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth" in Judaism is also about harm limitation. If someone chops off your arm, don't go and slaughter their entire family in anger, instead, respond with self-control.

I think while we are probably all subject to feelings of pride and anger, they do often cause a lot of trouble for ourselves and others, no?

Thank you, I'm glad you like it :)

10. tom pain

tom pain I want Chewbacc for good

Actually, mostly A for me. :)

11. Chimpcheng

Get back to your 36" plush Winnie the Pooh from the Disney Store you! :D

12. tom pain

Your just jealous :p

Of both my personality and my Winnie the Pooh ;)

13. Chimpcheng

Nonsense young Thomas. I have a 42" widescreen HD-ready LCD Winnie the Pooh with 4 SCART sockets, HDMI and Dolby 8.1 with DTS. :D

14. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I'm obviously all of option A!!! :Angel:

Actually, no scrap that, a combination of the other 2. :eek: :(

I have no Winnie the Pooh!

15. tom pain

Oh really? I have a Winnie the Pooh that runs at 4GHz with an Intel Quad-core Extreme, has 4GB of RAM with a 1GB graphics card, 1 terbayte of memory, a 24" TFT monitor and a 16x DVD re-writer :D

16. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

I'm too good to be true :D

Well actually - that may be the problem ;)

17. Chimpcheng

Is that a fact? My Winnie the Pooh comes with 17" bespoke alloys, 350 brake horsepower, 1.8L engine with sensodrive allowing you to choose between manual and automatic gear changes. Optional air con with built in CD/MP3 player as standard. Adjustable steering column and electric wing mirrors and windows.

Anyway, back on topic. I am a bad man, a very bad man... :yeleyes:

18. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

We knew that already though Chimp :D

19. jkzorya

Come on folks, read the original post - what traits do you ASPIRE to have? It isn't about what you ARE, but what you hope, try or want to be like. I'd say if you sincerely strive to adopt the traits in list A then that probably makes you a Goodie in a fairly universal sense, that is in many value systems. The point is to ascertain the values we share.

Regarding the Winnie the Pooh thing, there is actually a commandment that prohibits coveting thy neighbours stuff. :)

20. brabus

brabus Banned Banned

Don't forget, we could all be Jeckyll and Hyde. On one hand we aspire to be nice, caring, etc. but maybe we all are the exact opposite. We just don't know it because nobody tells us. ;) :D