Are weapons based MA less forcefull on arm?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Maryreade1234, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

Hey so my bone has recovered. (broke it in a kickboxing fight in january.)

However doctor has told me I cannot go back to boxing as the plate could cause another fracture with heavy impact. Maybe I can have it removed but doubt uk will do that on nhs.

I was thinking trying kendo or fencing, so that I can keep fighting in some form and was thinking that cos its vibrations through a sword not direct it might be less than whacking the pad with a heavy left hook.

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

It's fine until you get hit with a stick. BJJ is fine though, just sayin' ;)

axelb, Dead_pool and Mangosteen like this.
  3. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

Ohh you think BJJ is ok with a plate in my arm?

4. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Anything you train in will require you listen to your body and not push it.

BJJ is easy to push too hard in without realising.
    But its also easy to adjust your training to stay low impact.

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  5. Botta Dritta

Botta Dritta Valued Member

I'm assuming its your dominant arm here thats the problem so here goes.

Er speaking for fencing ...I would check directly with a qualified sports medic, as there are far more stresses on the primary fencing arm that you may realise. zVn7ko1.png

If you think about doing it casually I think the disciplines of foil and possibly epee might be OK. As technically you only need to depress the sensor tip by 500g (foil) or 750g (epee) to register a hit. But if you intend to take it seriously the reality of the competition circuit is that it is often way in excess of this with the explosive weight of your whole body behind the steel to make up for the distance you have to travel to hit the opponent. What this would do for the plate in your forearm is the question, which is why I would check with a sports doctor first. That being said you can mitigate some of the stresses on the arm by learning to fence with an 'absence of blade' style with a focus on footwork and distance management rather than blade actions, which hardly sounds like fencing at all, but its where the modern game is actually at.

The one I worry about is the discipline of sabre - and to a lesser extent epee as they both have the arms as part of the target area. With Sabre again mere contact with the blade will set the machine off, but that's not always the reality on the strip, as competition drives up the speed which drives up the kinetic energy delivered. There have been some very rare injuries involving cracked and wrist and ribs in sabre from the percussive force of the weapon travelling. Again its rare but you need to take it into account.

While fencing injuries are predominately lower limbed particularly knees and ankles, the other form of injury is chronic overuse such as tennis elbow or forearm tendinitis. Again i don't know the nature of your injury. I think if its casual fencing you will be perfectly ok. If you think to do it competitively you will need to take this into account.

Lastly I'm totally assuming that this is your dominant arm that is the problem. If its not please be aware that when learning to fence you may have to learn to back pedal/ Break distance in a way that is very different to boxing or kickboxing. We had a cadet break his arm during a bout during training a couple of years back when he used his non weapon arm to break his fall when he lost his balance while back pedallingng.

I can't speak with any authority on Kendo, but I know that the foarearm is part of the target area. Even if the gauntlets (Kote?) protect this Kendoka are encouraged to hit with true intent and this may be a problem.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Mangosteen likes this.
  6. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

Its actually my left arm. What I use for jabs. My main hand is right handed.

Botta Dritta likes this.
  7. Maryreade1234

Maryreade1234 Member

Here is my healed arm

Attached Files:

8. Botta Dritta

Botta Dritta Valued Member

In fencing you fence primarily with your dominant hand so you should be ok. Just be aware about back peddling. Even if the strip is 1.5 metres wide angling off like in boxing or kick boxing has limited returns so it might take some getting used to. You can only use your rear hand to if you lose your balance. But otherwise give it a try.

9. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

You could save up and pay for it privately, if fighting is that important to you.

Private is wierdly cheap in the UK, as the NHS pays to train all the Doctors and surgeons that the private hospitals use.

axelb and Mangosteen like this.