Are we in a new golden age of heavyweight boxing?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by qazaqwe, Jan 18, 2015.

1. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

Sorry i am at work and have to.edit allot. I edited that post

2. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Ah, i see, well, can you tell me why you think that these fighters would not be able to hold their own in say the early 70's?

3. raaeoh

I believe that I did. I will say agian they have an advantage from the start. Boxing from childhood with former less known pros= years of knowledge. Watching all the greats fights over and over again to.learn wha t worked. Modern weight training, nurtitionists making all your meals in short all the knowledge of the pros before you. Take all that away and start them with Ali. Who is your money on then ?

My answer is no.

4. raaeoh

An armature who has not been spoiled maybe.

5. Yatezy

Yatezy One bad mamba jamba

Only very recently has his skill improved. He is not a great boxer. Maybe he's knuckled down hence his step up in class.

Deontay Wilder had an unblemished record and became mandatory and there's no doubting he has a very padded record. He also falls over when punching.

6. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

No one but you is going to look back on this division and think it was a golden era. I just feel sorry for Klitschko - he's going to be remembered as a great fighter who never got the chance to show just how good he was. Just like that other guy...you know the one I mean...he had the shorts and the gloves...his name is right on the tip of my t - ooh look, something shiny.

7. raaeoh

Of course the greats would not make it today. Their skill sets are widely known and trained.

Unless of course they had all the same advanced training. Then of course the answer is obvious isn't it

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

No, I'm saying that everybody should train to be as good as good as him. He needs someone to really challenge him. There is no one out there. That's why it's not a golden era.

9. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

You're overlooking the fact that Ali rarely fought people bigger than himself, meaning the Klitschkos and Valuev would be the tallest people he ever fought, with some of the biggest reach advantages he'd ever faced, and if taken at current weights were much heavier than him, not to mention Vitali's power, Wlad's consistent and patient approach and Valuev being a walking talking advertisement for how height can make up for a lack of skill so they would get the nod from me in those circumstances, as for people like Chagaev and Povotkin, Ali did tend to struggle with good pressure fighters, which would probably make those fights rather competitive, as for Haye, he is probably the most similar to Ali in size, but he has the added advantage of power, and while Ali had an unfathomably good chin, i think Haye could cause him trouble early in the fight, although i do not see him winning, so i would actually bet against Ali in almost all of those fights.

10. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Yeah, buddy, watch that fight.

11. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

I see him being more remembered as a Larry Holmes type of figure, highly respected in hindsight, but derided by most people for fairly baseless reason, due to a previous era that was more action packed due to a much less focused work ethic.

12. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Except quite A lot of the greats would probably be fighting at Cruiserweight as they wouldn't be big enough to be Heavyweights, unless you are arguing that being born today would make them much more physically comparative, but that by definition is unable to be argued.

13. Yatezy

Yatezy One bad mamba jamba

The one from last night? I do intend to.

I like Wilder but I recognise the huge hype behind him. I like him for the same reason most people do, he knocks people out. But I can not see him beating Klitschko. Give him a punchers chance. I think he would demolish Fury.

14. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

I realize what you are saying, but as i said, most golden era's in your mind are made up of rather physically, and to some extent emotionally flawed people, who are made competitive through restriction, which i do not accept as a correct definition.

15. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

I don't see anyone beating Klitschko though, but the point is more, while i see flaws in wilder's skills, i honestly believe in previous eras he would have been more than a handful for people being argued as superiors, and as i have said previously, while he has been protected to some extent, there were people in his previous record with better records than people who fought for world championships in eras deemed much better than this current one.

16. raaeoh

Nope. Today they would just be fat

17. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Take a look at Ali and tell me he wasn't fat during his career.

18. puma

puma Valued Member

Yeah, I thought that. I mean, he isn't humongously obese, but he wasn't toned was he? How the hell did his body take such poundings, like against Foreman, with hardly any muscle at all? I always wondered if he used...

Good read this thread by the way.

19. puma

puma Valued Member

I know this is going back a few pages, but was this quote serious?

20. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Eh, i don't exactly know, but i tend not to think so cause he had such crazy good cardio, i just think he had one of the hardest chins going, granted, he paid dearly for relying on it so much, but such is the price of glory.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015