Are we in a new golden age of heavyweight boxing?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by qazaqwe, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Indie12

Indie12 Valued Member

Yeah, fights back then were more scientific too!! I love watching the old fights, I rarely, if ever watch fights these days!! (Boxing)... Everytime I watch a boxing match it's usually punch for 30 seconds then clinch for 1 minute. Gets pretty boring real quick!

2. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

So, for this to be a golden era, Wlad needs to be less talented? That is insane, and further more very flawed, i mean if you were to look at the 90's for instance, that era could have been completely dominated by a couple of fighters but fell short due to a number of reasons.

Tyson had dismissed his old trainers who had been training him since boyhood and had a three year stint in prison as well as a two year suspension from boxing, had he the right trainers and right mindset, he could very well have remained the champion for decades. Holyfield was beset by health problems during the 90's, which were apparent in two of his biggest losses, Bowe 3 (where he was going through hepatitis related liver troubles) and Moorer 1 (where he had rather severe heart issues that forced a brief retirement), he also had a tendency to impatiently get in punching exchanges rather than boxing people where he real skill base laid. Even Bowe might have dominated had he the drive, the ability to control his eating and a better bill of mental health.

I can respect that you prefer amateur boxing, but by saying that an era is only interesting if the fighters exhibit flaws in close fights or losses seems to be rather short sighted, at the risk of perhaps giving the winner of the WBC championship fight away, i can't help but feel it meets all the criteria for transcending expectations of possibilities. An underdog fighter won a fight against an opponent he was supposedly less skilled than, in a way no one predicted, showcasing skills no one thought he had, and the first thing he does is try to make a unification of the titles his paramount goal, in any other era, that story is the making of legend.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  3. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

If you rarely watch modern fights how can you say they are all the same? And while there are examples of scientific fighters in history, i can't help but feel highly technical, albeit rather precaution focused tactics seem to be much more common in this day and age than ever before.

4. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

I love boxing.. I have not seen a pro fight in years, because they..... well you are right.

5. raaeoh

Don't have to watch them to know. The modern age of instant communication will clue me in if It is a good fight l. Like I said its been years. I don't watch much mma any more either.

Unless you count the highlights

6. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

In 100 years, when they are beaming tv shows directly into our brain, the '100 greatest boxing matches of all time' will not feature any heavyweight matches from the period 2004-2014. I guarantee it.

7. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Unless of course they take place in obscure weight classes or they are regional affairs involving people with hard to pronounce names, or even still they have no major titles at stake.

8. Yatezy

Yatezy One bad mamba jamba

The fact Tyson Fury is being classed as a world class fighter, to me, says a lot about the current crop of HWs.

Fury has improved a lot over the last couple of fights but let's not forget we are talking about a man who uppercutted himself in a fight.

9. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

To be honest, i highly doubt with another hundred years of boxing history any heavyweight fights up to this point would be included on such a list, although i can't help but feel that the reason this era is judged to be so poor, is not because of the quality of the fights, but the lack of a compelling narrative, once everyone forgets the story, the fight of the century will probably be seen as a drawn out bore fest with incredibly excessive clinching, by the same Holyfield-Tyson 1 would probably be seen as a terrible mismatch that led to a tired one sided fight, still, who knows how this era will look once Klitschko retires, perhaps his dominant performances will be celebrated once the nostalgia starts to brew.

10. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

How is that any different from the time Ali baited Henry Cooper to hit him and was flattened by a left hook?

11. Yatezy

Ali hit himself with a left hook?

12. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Because in round 5 Ali went on to take Cooper apart in a fight that is still being talked about today.

13. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Fury went on to win that fight though by a 4th round knockout in a fight you all seem to recall.

14. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

No, he made a mistake that any boxing trainer in the world would think was completely stupid and he made himself look foolish.

15. raaeoh

Are we talking Boxing or blood sport? Blold sport fights.I will watch.

16. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

When is the last time you watched an entertaining slugfest like Saman Sorjaturong vs Humberto Gonzalez?

17. raaeoh

I've hit myself with a hook. Dang it if I didn't look stupid. So it wasn't the hook but bringing my hand back up to bloc a counter when I hit myself for him. :) :(

18. Yatezy

Whilst I agree letting your ego get in the way sometimes can cause problems. I don't think I've ever seen Ali do this

http://youtu.be/u8VlkRxcIYA

This is one of the best fighters in the world in his division?

19. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I recall him hitting himself with an uppercut, but don't recall any more of the fight.

You could get a slugfest between two complete unknowns though and I'd argue these two guys aren't household names.

Tyson Fury may well go on to be heavyweight champion, but only because the division isn't what it once was.

20. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

In his fourth pro fight after less than 10 rounds of ring experience, besides, Ali was too busy letting other people hit him.