Are there any disabled martial artist here?

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by wayofthedragon, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Silentblade

Silentblade Silent Death

This is me.

http://www.manilapitbulls.com/bbcng/demo1.jpg

Lost my left hand when I was 4 years old. I got shot by my cousin accidentally with a shotgun.

My disability doesn't affect my training, really. I can't do sinawali and double knife of course. :D

Last edited: Feb 2, 2004
  2. antsonwheels

antsonwheels New Member

Hi everyone,
    I am new to the martial arts and to this forum. I am a paraplegic of almost 3 years and currently being taught Arnis(of course without the footwork :) ). I look forward to further discussions on this forum with all of you.

3. Tai-Do

Tai-Do Valued Member

Hello; are people still following this thread?
    I'm now 30 (ish I'm numerically disabled) and a few years ago I was diagnosed with an autistic spectrum disorder, and learning difficulties. However, there was a pleasant surprise in there as well, as I was also told I have an IQ in the top 1% of IQ's. So naturally, I started to up the game with my training; I study my own form of JKD, which incorporates Aikido and Dim-mak, and I also use neuroscience and anatomy to further my understanding of the circumstances of self-defence. When I was 15, I was very clumsy and not confident, but after I took up the martial arts I managed to overcome all the problems Autism can have affecting the body. I now have better co-ordination than most, and I'm extremely happy with that. It was all thanks to the martial arts ... anyone wants more info, please don't hesitate to ask.
    Regards, Tai-Do.

4. marinevet63031

marinevet63031 Hapkido/Koryo Gumdo/TKD

I follow this forum. I wish more disabled martial artists found this as well. I teach Hapkido to disabled people such as myself.

5. Tai-Do

Tai-Do Valued Member

I wish more disabled people found the martial arts ... That's another surprise for me; I would have thought that both TKD and Hapkido would've been too much for most disabled, but people are saying it's good.
    Live and learn ey ...

6. marinevet63031

marinevet63031 Hapkido/Koryo Gumdo/TKD

Thing is about Hapkido, you have to adapt it to the disability and limitations of the practitioner.

7. london boy

london boy New Member

Well I have just had both hips replaced but have been practising for the past 5 years with severe arthritis which was challenging to say the least! I had to work to my limitations but as I said to the class running is no longer an option! Just recovering now but looking forward to training again and my next challenge :)

8. Tai-Do

Tai-Do Valued Member

Yes, thought as much. Interesting, thanks.

Gosh! That sounds difficult, but I suppose there are good rewards, not just peace of mind from self-defence?

9. Fujian Animal

Fujian Animal Banned Banned

not disabled but was injured in car wreck and do have lower back and occasional neck problems not only from car wreck but also from many years of homelessness sleeping on hard surfaces i sometimes wake up early mornings with pain in these areas

am still looking for treatment and ways to help since this prevents me from too much bending over or high kicks and limits my training, but luckily i practice wing chun

10. BoroGrecian

BoroGrecian Valued Member

i'm technically disabled as I only have full vision in one eye which can make things interesting.

I do know someone who practices Aikido and Judo who has both of his legs amputated after an explosion in Afghanistan. He did them prior to being deployed and wasn't going to let himself be stopped by the loss of both legs. He's just received his Aikido black belt

11. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

I don't have a physical disability but I do have a psychiatric condition. It's fully controlled by medication and so far has only caused me to miss one training session. I've only been back training for about 2 months though.

12. Fujian Animal

Fujian Animal Banned Banned

it is with great joy that i announce to you my full recovery

i am was with an injured lower back from improper training and sleep, but through yoga exercise and proper resting i am now flexible and able to touch my forehead to my shins again, which is great news

ironic in my absence from the forums have a month ago gotten jumped by some mugsters in my neighborhood and have spent 3 weeks in recovery with busted eye partial blindness in left eye, four broken lower front teeth, and knee injury displacement, but have since recovered from trauma having had minor seizure but am now doing good, back in training, can see fine again in both eye and although am wearing knee brace, i am kicking and practicing back to normal again

good news for wing chun practitioners

13. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

I have a CNS disorder (central nervous system), and can't take head shots because of it. :/ I have dyscalculia too. I didn't know it was what caused my kata/form problems until I notice a previous poster in this thread. Good to know what the cause is at last. :) But, I'm fortunate to big tall, strong, flexible, and double jointed, so I fare well in MA overall. It's just the forms that bug me. I'm going to try dance next year to see if more intensive study of footwork and form helps me. :) (my shoulder pops out rather easily because of my double jointedness, but a thorough warmup and proper technique mostly fixed that for me)

In spite of all that, I have learned quite a bit of kajukembo and kung fu in the past, and am preparing for upcoming tests in karate, sword, and kobudo. Don't let being differently-abled stop you. :)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  14. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Yep, I have CRPS (Complex Regional Pain Syndrome Type 1) in my left leg. Its a neurological condition that causes severe inflammation (the best I can describe the feeling of CRPS is like intense pins and needles).

At the moment its not too bad (cold and hot flushes vary, thankfully the pain killers help), I can still hit the heavy bag and spar a little. I try to exercise as much as I can. I enjoy doing martial arts because it gives me a sense of independence.

I also have ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder), however, I take stimulants for the ADD which helps to me to stay focused in training.

15. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Have you tried ADD-care? It's a natural supplement that supposedly works for ADD symptoms. http://www.add-care.com/ I don't have any experience with it-just heard ads for it on the radio. May be worth a try, though.:eek:

16. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

I've tried different stuff over the years, but to be honest, I've found that a low dosage of doctor prescribed stimulants and lots of exercise has helped me the most.

17. comericus

comericus New Member

I have ADD also (yes Virginia, it doesn't go away at adulthood). Ditto on the stimulants. It would be nice to not need them, but I have to earn a living and stuff.

To make matters worse, I have a fairly bad "reverse curve" hearing loss. This means that I have lost mostly low tones as opposed to high tones. As a result, I have to wear hearing aids at work and in mixed company.

The major problem with this is the tendency for speech to become mangled sounding, and then the brain stops processing it properly, because it's simply not getting as much speech input. Believe it or not, if you take someone who has normal hearing, fix it so they can't talk to themselves, and the isolate them from all human noises, after a few years, they start to be unable to understand speech, even when they may still be able to process the written language. This is where the "I can hear you, but I can't understand you" phenomenon comes from when older people get hearing aids after having terrible hearing for years. Accents can throw me off really badly. Especially on the phone.

Anyway, so I have to wear hearing aids in class, which is nasty, having something in my ears when I get all sweaty and stuff. Even then, I have a hard time processing things like quickly spoken verbal commands (moving basics type stuff).

I take them out altogether for sparring, which isn't such a big deal because verbal communication gets a lot less nuanced at that point.

Apparently one of the black belt test level things is executing strings of techniques based on rapid-fire verbal instruction. This has been worrying me, as I'm not sure I will ever be able to process the verbal input fast enough (whereas I'm sure I can learn to act and react without thinking).

Not sure what a good option is. Flash cards?