ARE KETTELBELLS OVER RATED?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by hardball, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

General S&C will help out with anything, but kettlebells have some distinct advantages in some areas. Specifically "long cycle" work where you use a fixed weight for high repetitions over a timed period. I did one competition myself a few months ago (double kettlebell clean and jerk) and it was the most gut-wrenching 10 minutes I have experienced in quite some time. Powerlifting is a different kind of animal than kettlebell sport, but again neither one is less tough or more tough, just a different approach.

Kettlebell long cycle for men (obviously not me though..... I'm much bigger and stronger and you all have to agree with me):

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIkBvfhx64Y"]40kg Kettlebell Long Cycle World Record - Ivan Denisov - YouTube[/ame]

2. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

that was painful just to watch!

3. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I actually did half his weight (a pair of 20kg kettlebells/44 pounds) and managed 60 in 10 minutes, and it was horrendous. The killer is not being able to put them down. Resting them in the rack position puts pressure on your chest and makes it harder to breathe too.

4. hardball

hardball Valued Member

That is exactly what I have come to realize thus I use both barbells and kettlebells in the same workout. Lot's of fun and the kettlebell swings get my heart rate up.

Good thread, good insights!

5. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

I tried kettlebells once. I didn't care for them. The only advantage they offer over dumbbells is easy 'round the body swinging. I use dumbbells for the vast majority of my workout. Barbells are only for variations of bicep curls, shrugs, and a few other things. I generally get more out of dumbbells because their "unbalanced" nature forces me to use more muscles at the same time (more challenging) and there are more exercises possible with them (more versatile). Added bonus-dumbbells are easy to store.

6. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

If you find yourself without kettlebells for cardio, there are a million other things to do. I personally do ball skips on a bosu ball, stepping exercises on a bench, etc.

7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Dumbbells are generally for isolation exercises, curls, presses, flyes etc.

Kettlebells are for a "whole body" workout. So it's horses for courses.

8. hardball

hardball Valued Member

Synergy

Because of this thread I went back to using kettlebells. I do both; weights and kettlebells plus dumbbells. I have a curl bar, bench bar, 4 kettlebells and several dumbbells I usually do them all together and I feel really satisfied after a workout. Good endorphin release.

9. Princess Haru

I more often use them in warmup and at the end of a session (when my form might be compromised by fatigue). Been working on the KB Snatch single and double. I think the big issue is like some barbell lifts you need to invest some time in learning the movement, more time than just about anything you'd do with a dumbbell. That's not to say dumbbells are great at fixing muscle imbalances and in many cases work the core too (this isn't just reserved for KB and BB). I mainly see big guys at the gym picking up ridiculously light KBs. Whereas I will use the heaviest I can just manage the movement with.

10. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

no sort of weight training IMO is overrated, it's simply how you use it. Right now i'm stuck with mostly bodyweight exercises which is ok, but I would definitely incorporate kettlebell training into my routine. Injuries don't allow me to do so at this time, but they will when I get it fixed.

11. icefield

icefield Valued Member

old thread i know tbut this isnt actually correct, dumbbells were originally used for whole body workouts, look at the old york courses and you will see dumbell clean and presses, dumbbell swings, dumbbell snatchs etc

kettlebells allow for some different exercises you cant do with DBs, whether those exercises are that useful is another matter

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  12. hardball

hardball Valued Member

Old Thread

What a coincidence that this thread got bumped. Last night I just went out a bought a new 45lb kettlebell to add to my collection. Now I have 10,15,20,35 and 45lb kettlebells. I love using them in conjunction with my barbells and dumbbells. I was kinda shocked that it cost 89.99 but bought it anyway.

13. Princess Haru

14. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

My mate Zane has a 64kg one. You should have seen the poor delivery guy trying to get the box of the van.

15. slickoneuk

slickoneuk Member Supporter

Found a 24kg at a garage sale for 10 bucks. I almost felt guilty

16. hardball

hardball Valued Member

Recently added a 55lb kb in the quest for the optimum workout. Still like barbells and dumbells too. Cost was 119.00. Ouch. Found out they charge by the weight.

17. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Keep eyeing up a 40kg bad boy, I always find home equipment doesn't get used as my strength work is done in a gym, with a crew though so I'm teeter tottering.

18. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

this.

i want a 32kg for swings, but i'm horrible about working out at home (or doing much of anything else productive at home, to be honest :p), so unless i donated it to the gym it'd probably not see a lot of frequent use.

19. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I'm training for the SFG instructor course here in the UK next month.

KBs are a tool, a very versitile tool, but that's it.

Pretty much all our lifts at certification will be examined with us using double 24kg bells. Nice! :)

I remember when I was terrified at the idea of snatching the 24, now I'll snatch two of them.

Looking at getting a 36 for presses and tgu's... :)

20. Princess Haru

Me too. The only bits of bought equipment I do use, but taking my own stuff along with me to the gym is my jump rope and resistance bands. I would swap my home KBs for more bands. Alas my gym only has KBs upto 20kg and I can press this.