ARE KETTELBELLS OVER RATED?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by hardball, Oct 5, 2012.

1. hardball

hardball Valued Member

For those of you who lift traditional barbells, do you think kettlebells are overrated? Do you lift both kettlebells and barbells? Kettlebells only? Barbells only?

2. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

As a former strength athlete, I now do most of my S&C work with kettlebells. Not because they're necessarily better (like anything else, they're just a tool in the toolbox) but because I really enjoy training with them. I still like my occasional barbell work, but for my current purposes kettlebells fit the bill perfectly as my main S&C tool.

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

what kuma said.

adjustable barbells are more efficient for pure strength work, but kettlebells can be used for things that barbells can't, as well as being insanely fun to use.

overHYPED, though? certainly, which is why they're so expensive and have so many fanatic adherents, like any other heavily marketed fitness method.

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Mine turn up in a week or so, so they'd better be good or I'm going to be pretty peeved I can tell you! I'm doing a barbell based workout now but looking forward to using them in between.

Mitch

5. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

6. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

If you have a limited selection, I think they're less beneficial than if you have a variety. I have the benefit of having access to kettlebells ranging from a mere 4kg/8.8 pounds all the way up to 48kg/105.8 pounds so there's obvious benefits there to me. If you only have a 16kg eventually it's going to get too light and your strength gains will diminish.

Though dumbbells can be used for most lifts, I think the ballistic lifts in particular end up being more effective with a kettlebell (e.g. swing, clean, snatch). The slower "grind" exercises can easily be done with a dumbbell or barbell (e.g. military press, Turkish get-up, windmill).

7. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I would say the thing is not to let it be the only thing.... but currently I'm gymless, have no space at home for any proper weights so my small collection of Kettlebells are invaluable for some resistance training. When I was doing barbell lifts KBs were still useful as assistance for glute/hamstrings, and like for just about any woman, KB presses really helped with my progress on bench/press. They're quite versatile, but then so are barbells, its just access, space, cost as well. Use what you can use.

8. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

personally, i've found kettlebells much easier to stabilize overhead (and therefore also easier to press) than dumbbells are, presumably because the weight falls entirely to one side (the back of the forearm). i would also venture that pressing/jerking kettlebells overhead is also more effective for deltoid building due to this (which may account at least in part for steve cotter's inhumanly huge delts).

9. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

KB is good but bag filled with BB is better. It futher develops your finger strength that KB won't help you much there. The steel balls bag can help you to train everything that KB can help you but much more. If you want to develop a pair of "monster grip", KB is not good enough.

I'll say:

steel balls bag > KB > barbells

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  10. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

I'd really like to learn how to use KB properly. I have no idea about how to use them so I've avoided them so far.

They are supposed to be insanely good for speed work as well as "hip popping" (KB swings) form an efficient conditioning routine to assist barbell work

11. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Good for posterior chain and metabolic conditioning.
    But As the scramble link says there not the be all to end all.

12. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I've just started to use them...Good or not? I don't know...but they are a lot of fun!!

I personally don't think it's worth buying any though. It seems a lot of money for something that you'll eventually find too light and be used for a very big door stopper.

13. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Yes and no.

Yes, they are overrated by many who look to have a niche as a 'Kettlebell Guy'.

No, as a single piece of kit they really are probably the most versitile (though I sure as hell ain't giving up my barbell!)

They are a tool, like the barbell, dumbell, TRX, bosu, slosh pipe, chin bar, med ball, etc.

Initially cheaper than having a home barbell set which is probably why they are so popular (though for a 'real' trainer I think you'll find a bar plus weights is cheaper than a decent set of double k-bells).

With regards to shoulder stability of DB v KB. I used to think that the KB was easier to stabilise in the overhead position, but then I learned to allow the bell to 'pull back' rather than have it balanced over the centre of the shoulder.

14. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Vadim kolganov does a class in Glasgow.

The Bear.

15. hardball

hardball Valued Member

Most kettlebells come with an illustrated booklet and some even come with an instructional dvd.

16. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

If you're buying from a brand name and direct from KB suppliers as a set maybe, but not the case in the UK for individual KBs from S&C suppliers.

The best thing would be to go to a class with a KB instuctor. Failing that plenty of quality instruction on the internet. Get the swing to a point when it looks and feels right, then add in other things like High Pulls, Snatchs, Cleans and Press. TGU is a bit different in the only lifting part is the first press laying on the floor. Anyone can do that, the tricky bit is getting up and back down.

Dan John cuts through the usual BS ;)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVEReOq5Jgs"]dan john perfecting the kettlebell swing - YouTube[/ame]

17. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

*looks at KB propping open door*

awwww. now i am sad.

18. wazzabi

wazzabi sushi eater

Great addition that have their place. Not a replacement for barbells or dumbells.

19. afhuss

afhuss Valued Member

Since I've started doing the StongLift 5x5 I have become a strong advocate of strength training. I don't stick to it religiously, but, since focusing on all-body compound exercises such as squats, dead lift, rows, bench, and standing overhead press I have noticed significant weight loss, muscle definition, increased flexibility, and increased power. In my off days I train with my buddy (former lightweight amateur powerlifter) doing different form-related drills such as band workouts and speed bench, or I will smoke myself with bands, ropes, chain, TRX, kettle bells, etc...plus some solo jujitsu drills along with the occasional isolation exercise if I feel my body is asking for it.

20. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

Glasgow Club do introductory KB sessions too, as well as the cardio Kettlecise classes.