are black people stronger than white people

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by gracie22555, Jun 11, 2006.

1. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

nope im at work. will read it later

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

LOL! :D

Raizen - you can post at length on racial/genetic issues but you can't read a link you posted that is one something as tame as the BBC?!?!

3. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

from the link

Is there any concrete evidence to support the suggestion that Black athletes have more fast twitch muscles than white people? Is there a higher proportion of black people in athletics than in any other sport because of a lack of role models and success stories of black athletes in other sports?

Kurt Barling replies: Scientific evidence has been forward to support the hypothesis that black athletes have more fast twitch muscles. This science is testable and that is as far as anyone can go. Jon Entine's book "Taboo" has a very good stab at all the literature on this subject and the notes to each chapter list countless medical and scientific journals should you want to follow this up.

this has been said be a few people, myself included, in this thead

Some may see this as a racist debate, but it is important to understand the physiological differences between racial groups. However, before we talk about "genetic advantages," I would ask how many world-class Kenyan sprinters are there, and similarly how many world-class West African long-distance runners are there? It is also interesting to note that the decade's best two DECATHLETES, often considered the most complete athletes, have been of mixed race.

Kurt Barling replies: I think part of the problem with this debate is the fact that the term race confuses us. Race is a confusing term politically and sociologically. It is also meaningless according to mainstream biology and genetics. If we were to use the term "population groups" which are much more narrowly defined we would find it easier to deal with human diversity. The key here is that West Africans and East Africans are very different, yet they are defined as belonging to the same race. Remove race from the question and it's a much easier conundrum to deal with.

i have also pointed out the difference between west and east africans and sporting performance. i have already specified that i am referring to people of west africans when talking about sprinting.

Is it the case that athletes excel at sports for which they have access to necessary facilities? Therefore athletes in Africa will not be as interested in cycling, rowing, etc?

Kurt Barling replies: That's probably true. What can also be said is that in societies where the opportunities are limited and there are areas where there are perceived to be an opportunity for success, people will gravitate towards that. That's irrespective of skin colour. It just so happens that black people, black youngsters, have seen success in sport, throughout the United States, throughout Britain, and therefore they aspire to it.

this is pretty mcuh the thrust of your argument. fair enough, but it doesnt discount the fact the alot of white youngsters aspire to compete in the same events. its just that less are visible at the top level

p.s. slip i just re-read your posts. i retract my statement about you calling me stupid :p you just said that what i said was.

4. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

/\ /\ /\

iamraisen,

I think that puts the whole argument pretty neatly to bed, doesn't it?

Thanks for posting that - and well done for bowing out with such good grace.
    It's an example which a lot of people would do well to follow (think 'gay rights' thread here.)

It's aways a pleasure to debate with a civilised debater such as yourself. :Angel:

5. pablo147

pablo147 Valued Member

how is this thread still going?

6. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

It's still going pretty badly, actually. Haven't you been following it? :confused:

7. bigev

bigev New Member

I understand were the assumption stemmed from, that certain black people are physically superior than other people of different races, but as mentioned before the lifestyles and dispostions of the generations before us varied greatly from family to family, amongst every race, though in most communities people of the same culture did endure the same hardships. But to say one race is physically superior to another would be far from true.

8. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

if this has already been said i apologise but i have'nt been online for awhile.
    during slavery, were'nt slaves forced to breed, meaning the "owners" took the biggest and strongest both male and female put them together and they produced a strong and strudy offspring. through 365 some odd yrs, they developed bigger and stronger slaves. so genetics does have a part in it. i have black friends that i have grown up with and went to school with that never lifted a weight, done any type of physical training and they were and are extremely strong and built like very strong houses.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2007
  9. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I spent a year in therapy trying to forget this thread, and you had to come along and resurrect it! :cry:

10. wild_pitch

wild_pitch Melt The Guns!

I am so not getting drawn back into this thread! Die thread Die!

11. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

There are several holes in that theory.

For a start, slave women were raped by the slave ships' crews as a matter of policy, because they would fetch a higher price (at least in the America - I'm not sure about elsewhere) if they had a good chance of being pregnant, and mixed-race slaves fetched a high price as 'house slaves'. Add to that they were then frequently raped by plantation owners and overseers etc, and you see that the whole 'genetics' argument is off to a very shaky start.

Then you have to consider the fact that the average life of a plantation slave was pretty short. Which is why there was such a demand for new slaves to be brought from Africa. The slave owners decided pretty early on that it was more cost-effective to keep buying new slaves than to try to prolong the life expectancy of the slaves in their possession. So the idea that they were selectively breeding some kind of 'super-slaves' just doesn't hold water.

And as far as your anecdotal evidence goes, I have a number of black friends who are NOT built like brick outhouses. :p

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2007
  12. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Wow, another thread that earns a
    [​IMG]

Someone's been necromancing like a mofo today

13. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

And of all the threads to ressurect.

14. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

Isn't Threadomancy a :ban: offense? If it's not, can we mutiny and make it so?

15. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Yes

We should be able to start threads about people, without them seeing it (like a reverse ignore), where we can vote on whether or not to ban them! :p :D

16. prowla

prowla Valued Member

The problem is that people are always trying to see things as black and white, but it isn't that simple!

17. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

In 50 years time...the British Asians and Black British will dominate sport in the UK, all the top sports stars from here will be black or Asian...all the whites are too focused on getting ****ed after training so our standards that were unsurpassed are now been smashed by a superior culture of prayer and reverence which in turn develops inner spirit and devotion.

18. Verx

Verx "Darkness Approaches"

19. Verx

Verx "Darkness Approaches"

Wise words from the guy that thinks he can look like megatron. :D

20. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

Indeed :rolleyes: :D