Are Atheist braver than the religious ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Xanth, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

When it comes to situations that are life and death, such as war or even something like the active shooter situation, would you consider atheist who make the choice to risk their life braver than their religious counterparts ?
    The atheist stands to loose everything, should they be killed. They don't believe in an afterlife, so they are giving up everything by choosing to put their lives at risk. The religious, for the most part, have a theory of some life after this one and so, when risking their life here, have something to fall back on. Does this make the atheist braver, having more to loose in the same situation a religious person does ?

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

3. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I've always thought of "brave" as meaning "you're scared but you do it anyway." In that sense of the word -- no, he's not braver. He is, though, perhaps more noble, and perhaps showing more love for his neighbor, because he sacrificed more and he did it willingly.

4. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Why is the choice between atheists and religious folks?
    Rather the question should regard theists and non theists.

Religion implies community and tribal allegiance which greatly skews what and who you'll fight for.

In either case, people don fight in wars dependent on an afterlife, they fight for something that's in their lives.

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Greater love hath no man......

6. HairoNoSora

HairoNoSora Valued Member

This. Also, I've noticed some of the more oldschool religious types being *very* scared of death, as that is when all the judging and being sinfull and cast into hell for all eternity yada yada happens.

I don't think spiritual beliefs (or lack of) change anything heroic into non-heroic or vice-versa.

7. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

I heard a story in highschool from my Gov Teacher (Vietnam Veteran) about his own father who was a WW2 veteran, storming the beaches of Normandy. While not Roman Catholic at the time, his father noted that many of the Catholics had this steely determination and peace after receiving absolution from the priests on board. Reason being, according to my teacher's father, "You'd have to try really hard to commit a mortal sin on the short boat ride to the beaches."

I personally think bravery is a reflection of how much you care about what you're doing and those around you.

8. Dialectitian

Dialectitian Banned Banned

Though organized religion is more organized, and thus are more prepared for their fights. I am glad that we are diverse, many coloured, many different languages, because then we can "cover" more of the earth. And leave nothing undone.

Atheists are braver than religious folks because they feel more compassion (although this can be reduced due to strain) whereas religious are usually more "independent". They are like small Christian Jesuses (I apologize if I offend someone) whom carries the sins of others. And generally, Atheists are closer to Christendom than my Islam. Becaues we muslims are like ... uniform. Organized uniformity.