Archer check-in

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by LilBunnyRabbit, Nov 30, 2012.

1. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

So most martial arts on here have one of these threads going, and I just got wondering how many (and what type) of archers are here.

When you check in, just so everyone knows what it is that everyone else is doing, might be worth mentioning:

- what your bow is
    - target/field/both

I'm also curious how other people move from nock to full draw following an earlier discussion.

2. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

One of my guys is an archery instructor.
    We occasionally duck out of swords and get an afternoon's instruction.

We either use flat bows or hungarian hunting bows. It's all indoor target.

The Bear.

3. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

Shot with a recurve in high school and loved it. When I have more free time (i.e., when the kids are grown), I suspect I'll get back into it.

4. windtalker

windtalker Pleased to return to MAP

Love to bowhunt and target practice. Use a compound bow for the most part, yet getting better with a recurve. Took a nice doe this year with my bow.

5. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Sadly hunting with bows is illegal in the UK.

The Bear.

6. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

I know. This has been a source of great disappointment to me - especially since there's a group of woodsmen nearby who were very interested in butchering a deer if I could bring one down.

Having said that, France isn't too far: http://hunting-wildboar-france.com/summary.html

Anyone know where I can pick up some broadleaf heads?

7. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

I used to do some recreational archery with my buddies in the country. Mostly now I stick to slingshot at the cottage.

8. rottunpunk

rottunpunk Valued Member

I used to do english longbow, and make them too.

9. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I bought a cheap horse bow last summer after reading about the Mongols. I haven't had the chance to use it as much as I would like to though. I shoot paper targets at the cottage or at my girlfriend's folks place...they have a nice long back lawn thing.

My girlfriend wants me to hunt with it, but I think I would cry if i killed something.

10. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

I don't blame her, I'd love to do some actual hunting with it (for food, obviously). Looking into getting a group together to go hunting boar next year.

11. Bozza Bostik

I'm all for hunting - there's still a hunting culture in the Nordics, but I just couldn't do it myself...I don't wanna hurt lil bunny rabbits :)

She was appalled when I suggested she do it herself.

I think I need a license even for hunting rabbits. And I might need to show that I can use a bow. I think for shooting deer and elk / moose I need to use a compound bow or something. The bow definitely has to be of a certain 'power' or above for even small game.

12. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

But they're so tasty!

Possibly. I know that in France there's a course you need to attend pre-bow hunting. I don't know about any restrictions on bow power.

Of course, you could always just get yourself a nice heavy warbow - a 200lb pull should qualify. :)

13. Bozza Bostik

I'm sure there is probably rules in France about the draw weight...EU and all that as well. Don't get me wrong, it's quite light. I don't think 200 Ib is needed. :)

There's a couple of groups around town that are into primate archery / weaponry and one of the groups has an indoor place, much needed in the winter. I need to contact them. The guys who specialize in the primitive stuff mess around with throwing axes and all kinds of stuff...bolas etc But they dress up like Robin Hood and I find things like that a bit creepy. :)

14. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Done a bit of research and the average seems to be around a 45lb requirement, which means my 80lb longbow should be fine. :)

Men in tights?

15. Bozza Bostik

And kilts...And all a bit Errol Flynn, not a leper amongst them.

16. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

I've made myself a bow of ash (actually I've made several, but it's very hard to get them right, they break so easily if you do it only slightly wrong) The one that worked, allso broke eventually. Now, I've decided that making a proper bow is too hard, and when I get the money for it, I'll buy one. I've bought one for each of my children, and they find it quite interresting. One of them is interrested in archery from horseback (but he needs to learn to ride first, so he's only tried it when the horse is walking slowly 5 m from the target)

I'm into medieval stuff and re-enactment, so medieval crossbows and bows are of my primary interrest. I've done some shooting (when the one deacent bow still was intact), now, it's prioritized below studying of blossfechten/harnish-fechten(HEMA), a scandinavian re-enactment-system(Haerkamp) and riding.