apFit

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by ap Oweyn, Jul 9, 2013.

1. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Yeah, I was pleased. Very unexpected, though I do feel better than I'm used to feeling.

2. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Nice one!

(I've put on about 6 pounds in about 2 weeks...so much for cutting weight for climbing!)

3. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Glad to hear this, ap! Wishing you continued and improving health! Oh, and sleep--when you can get it!

4. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Trying, my friend. Trying. :)

Graeme woke up twice last night for feedings. Then we got up for good at about 6am. Getting more used to the early mornings than I'd ever have believed I would as a younger man. None of which is to say I'm not greatly looking forward to a time when he sleeps more. :D

5. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Great news ap! :)

6. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

Or maybe you just fit right in. :D

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

There's that possibility too. :D

8. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Run Bike Swim and Box your way to a better you!

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

You need to do those as separate activities, yes? When I do them together, my boxing gloves get water-logged and then the weight of the bike pulls me straight under. :)

10. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Patience, ap! With time you'll be able to do all four at once.;)

11. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Went down to the college gym on my break today. Decided I really needed to re-commit to the basics, as long as it's been since I've been truly active. So today was an exercise in patience and stretching. Spent most of my break stretching. Also spent some time doing the following:

1) Slow-motion side kicks to practice balance, flexibility, and leg strength
    2) Some targeting practice on a crash pad leaned against the bleachers (see what I'm working with here?!)
    3) A bit of shadowboxing focusing on punching and chambering for kicks

That last one has always been interesting to me. I was taught to do shadowboxing rounds with punching and just the chambers for kicks by a coach down in Richmond, VA (Hanshi Dan Wilson). It was really invaluable in improving my ability to move from busy hands to a kick straight back into punching combinations.

12. shootodog

Bring some kamagong bastons and do some slowmo carenzas.

13. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

In the same boat myself. Need to sort myself out now. Just given up class A drugs (recreationally but too often) and I'm cutting right back on the booze. I've actually none in the house and I went shopping today :)
    Just need to start eating again so I can exercise
    It's going to be a tough few weeks!
    Start my own thread when I deserve it

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

That's next. The kamagong bastons live in the trunk of my car, actually. As soon as the weather begins to cool off a bit here (yeah, I'm whining about the heat to a Filipino ;) ), I'll take that practice to the largely useless field behind our college gym.

For anyone who's curious, kamagong is a type of hardwood that sometimes gets used to make FMA training weapons. The other one usually being a hardwood called bahi. Fair bit heavier than standard rattan.

15. shootodog

They are also used for the "real deal" fight for your life. Rattan is painful but bahi and kamagong break bones. Even the big ones.

16. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Not a whole lot to report, I'm afraid. But I've been trying to be more diligent on the medical front. Had a doctor's appointment on Friday. Blood pressure looks pretty good, for a change. I've managed to get into a better routine about taking my meds. Major accomplishment for me. Let's hope that the horse hasn't already gotten through the barn door. (More on that another time.)

I'm also holding steady around the 200-lb. mark. When I was weighed at the doctor's office, it was 198 lbs. Pretty good for me. I haven't been very virtuous in my eating habits, except to exercise a small bit of portion control.

I feel like I try one measure at a time and have yet to incorporate them all into a proper approach. I'll cut out soda for a time, or have a good run of going to the gym at lunch time, or order a few salads in a given week. But they're like scouting missions, versus a full-on offensive on my unfitness.

17. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

All the good advice has already been given by better people, so I'll just wish you luck and ask you to keep us updated. :)

18. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I'm going to try, my friend. I'm in the process of vying for a new job at the moment. If I get it, it'll mean a long commute for a time (until we move). That won't be good for the effort. But I plan to use it as a fresh start and begin incorporating workouts into my work day. The campus I'd be working on if I get the job has a much smaller "gym" than my current campus. But it's got (literally) about 12 soccer fields out back and sits in some highly bikeable real estate.

Ironically, there's also a "UFC Gym" across the parking lot. But that looks like LA Boxing for people who regard themselves as too 'ard to be seen walking into an LA Boxing gym.

As always, I could be mistaken.

19. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Nice going Ap :)

What are your goals (other than "get fit", or "get healthy")?
    Do you have a target weight with % body fat? Or blood pressure/resting heart rate? Are there some old clothes that you want to fit into again?
    What stuff are you doing when you visit the gym?

The reason I ask is that "get fit" is a great ultimate goal, but the others allow tangible, quantitative (and, most importantly, achievable) intermediate goals to aim for.

Like you say, if you've been sending out several scouting parties then you might be getting an idea as to what's the path of least resistance down which to take your first steps (if you enjoy going to the gym, or love the taste of salad etc). As long as it leads towards your ultimate goals, then great :)
    Importantly, it allows you to practice controlled habit formation, which makes the paths which were initially hard to walk down (no soda at all) easy, because now you eat salad for lunch every day (and it has become part of who you are), soda just doesn't go with it. Or if you're really looking forward to your gym session, you know that the tasty soda, after the initial boost, will give you an energy crash half way through your gym session, meaning you won't beat your last 800m time, or make that last rep or finish that last heavy bag round strongly or whatever.

Sorry, I'm sure you already know all of this, so: good luck and keep on it!

20. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Is that like French boxing or is it Savate? :hat:

Seriously - What is LA boxing? Is it a chain or franchise?