apFit

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by ap Oweyn, Jul 9, 2013.

1. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

2. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Dogs plus new babies plus full-time work, not so much. :)

Besides, we have a lot of allergies, including my mother in law who has very low lung capacity. I suspect she could never visit again.

And before the jokes begin, I really like my MiL. :)

3. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Not much new to report yet. I'm completely knackered. But I did eat a banana for breakfast and walk the quarter mile to the McDonald's for a decaf coffee (since I'm trying to shake caffeine as well). I know decaf isn't completely caffeine free. But it's incremental.

Haven't had a soda since Tuesday. That's only two days. And yet, for me, noteworthy. EDIT: Also, remembered to take my meds this morning. Sadly, also noteworthy for me.

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Boris the blade and myself are both part way through a "Couch to 5K" plan (I'm doing the NHS one).
    I can recommend it. It's set out for you and easy to follow. It builds over the weeks.
    From no running a few months back I did 28 minutes this morning.
    For me setting side some time is the important (and hardest thing). But you can do a lot in half an hour 3 times a week.

5. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Giving up caffeine is rough. I reduced my caffeine intake a few months back, bit of a nightmare. I need to reduce it further though. It's all coffee, rarely drink fizzy pops!!

Trying to reduce milk at the moment (edit: not the hardest thing to do, i know) and mess around with alternatives. I love the stuff, my stomach doesn't feel the same way though.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Giving up caffeine is tough, yeah. Mind you, I'm already completely knackered and irritable. I have an unshakeable headache. And I fall asleep on a moment's notice. So, in some odd way, it seems the perfect time.

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

That's a good idea actually. I actually ran a 5K with my daughter and her elementary school recently. "Couch to 5K in 20 minutes." Not the ideal way to do it. But I did enjoy the running more than I thought I would.

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

The only thing with kiddies is that I have to slot it in early or late while people are asleep.
    Not so bad in the summer when it's light enough to run at 9:30 at night but hardly sustainable in the winter.

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I sure as hell ain't starting in Northern Virginia right now. I know that the low 90s aren't "Death Valley" hot. But I'm not running in that.

10. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Chia seeds in water and a sqeeze of lemon! Coconut water! Trust me man! Research on chia freska and pinole. Wll be well worth it.

11. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Don't try to just cut stuff out right away with dietary habits. The headaches and discomfort wears on the majority of people to the point where they relapse so many times they quit with something like caffeine. If you drink 6 cups of coffee normally, try to just drink 5 for a week, then 4 for a week, and then steadily down until you get to none. Do a bonus day during the week where you drink 1 or 2 less then your supposed to. Same thing if you eat a lot of something or drink a lot of soda. Just keep diminishing the volume in a measurable way each week and before you know it you'll have quit the habit.

No need to make yourself suffer : P.

12. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

So far, progress has been marked in terms of what I haven't done, rather than have.

Haven't had a soda since Tuesday (which is a big deal for me)
    Haven't had a caffeinated coffee between Tuesday and Friday (though I had coffee today and yesterday, since I couldn't leave the house for decaf)
    Haven't forgotten to take my meds

We went for a family hike at Sky Meadow yesterday, out near Paris, Virginia (for the locals). Just over a mile, but not bad with three kids in near-90-degree weather.

13. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

If you like hiking, Billy Goat Trail at the Potomac on the MD side is a great couple hours and has some very mild climbing involved. Good 30 min to get to it, good hour or two (depending on if you like to look around or not) to hike the trail. Not a young child friendly trail though and can be dangerous if you like taking risks. Lots of walking on giant boulders. Ton of other trails and a museum there too that would be child friendly as well.

Good job with the caffeine. It took a mild TBI for me to stop using it :p

14. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Nice, well done on the caffeine front, it's a tricky beast to crack, especially the (almost) cold turkey approach!

15. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Today was rough. Had an iced tea. Some are decaf. This wasn't. Ah well. I'm still on the right trend anyway. Thanks man!

16. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Haven't done the Billy Goat in years. But we take the kids to Great Falls a lot. To see the waterfalls from the bridge generally. It's an easy walk for the kids along the canal. Locks on one side. Waterfalls on the other. Picturesque, and about the right challenge level for the wee ones. Good call, my friend.

Mind you, we went there in the winter a couple of years ago. Walking on sheer ice with baby in one of those hiking backpacks (this is my middle son now). Harrying stuff. Especially that close to the water. Came close to falling once, nowhere near the water happily.

17. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Had a follow-up appointment with the physician's office today.

Verdict: Good! Blood pressure is down to 100/80. A little too low now. So they're modifying my meds down instead of the anticipated up. Also managed to drop 3 lbs. since my last appointment a fortnight ago. So I'm below 200 lbs. (198) for the first time in well over a decade.

Celebrated with a stick of salted caffeine butter.

I made that up. I hope. Dear God, tell me no such thing exists.

18. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

19. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

20. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

This is excellent news.