Anyone lift twice a day?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Starsky, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Starsky

Starsky Valued Member

I am currently following the stronglifts programme. However, I would like to get some work in on muscle groups not specifically targeted by the stronglifts system, such as biceps and triceps.

I do my stronglifts three days per week before work but was thinking of adding targeted sessions in the evening.

Anyone lifting twice daily?

2. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

my brother's a competitive powerlifter and gym instructor, I could ask him since he's qualified to train others in that way as well if you like? :)

I used to lift twice a day but it started messing with me a bit and leaving me quite exhausted.

3. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Lifting twice a day depends on your experience and workload

If your new/doing strong lifts then just add curls and stuff at the end of a session.

You'll get a prolonged anabolic response training just three time a week.

4. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Hello
    Generally things like 'lifting twice a day' tend to be the remit of the most committed (some would say deluded) bodybuilders.

As Zaad said you could just add a few 'tri/bi's' exercises at the end of your x 3 per week training.

Or you could do a short and specific 'tri\bi's' sesh once a week at the weekend if you really feel you need it.

Good Luck

5. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

if you bench and ohp you don't need any extra triceps work (but you can certainly add it if you want). biceps stuff you can do right at the end as well, no need for another session.

i do two-a-days occasionally, but it's usually a spur of the moment decision. if you do have the time, though, and will only do accessory work, it MIGHT be worth adding the extra session regularly, as long as you eat and sleep enough (ideally at least 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep, calories above maintenance, protein aiming for 1g/lb of bodyweight)

6. Starsky

Starsky Valued Member

Thanks to all. I've been weight training on and off for about 27 years and he shorter 5X5 sessions do feel like I'm not pushing myself hard or long enough.

7. Fish Of Doom

well, they're not supposed to :). the idea is that they build you up gradually on the long term so that when you do hit your (now improved) limits, your body is well-adapted enough to heavy training that you can go do more hardcore stuff without trouble.

8. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

Start adding one more session a per two weeks for a few weeks and see how you feel

9. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

I only lift once per day but it is all day. What bro, do you even lift?

10. afhuss

afhuss Valued Member

I do a modified Stronglift program. I would say do accessory lifts on your off days...just don't do burnouts too often so as not to take away from your major compound lifts on your actual Stronglift days. I also do some accessories on my strong lift days. For example, if its a deadlift day, I will do back extensions or seated cable rows to help prevent my back from being sore...kind of stretches it out. I also do abs when I do heavy pull days.

I rarely do an arm 'blowout' day - maybe once a month - but I often will hit up some 21's or curls before leaving the gym. I definitely stay away from any pervasive bodybuilding parameters, though.

Stronglift will definitely get you strong triceps, but I still hit up trip cep accessories - mostly band or cable, some dumbbell, every once in awhile.

As far as a 5x5 not seeming to be enough for you... you should really have to exert yourself to get through even the first set. 5x5 is actually kind of on the mid-high rep range. I modify the Stronglift program with WestSide Barbell technique (lots of chains, bands, etc). So instead of doing, say, 5x5 DL, I'll do a 6x2 speed work DL, or 6x2 rack pull, etc. Or I'll replace bench with bamboo and free hanging weight on bands, etc...

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  11. Starsky

Starsky Valued Member

Could you extend the session using 5X5? eg adding 5X5 bicep curls or dumbell kickbacks and perform 5 exercises or does that defeat the purpose?

12. afhuss

afhuss Valued Member

Yeah, the Stronglift 5x5 program is only compound exercises...its three exercises a session, every other day, comprising of five total exercise types. So basically:
    Mon: (A-Day) 5x5 Squat, 5x5 Bench, 5x5 BO Row

Wed: (B-Day) 5x5 Squat, 5x5 OH Press, 5x5 Dead Lift

Fri: (A-Day)

etc...

I just add accessories like curls, or whatever, after my 5x5 is done...when I feel like it. Also I sometimes modify variations of those compound lifts in congruent with WestSide techniques, or other things (i.e. band squats, front squats, instead of only doing back squats).

The point is to focus on strength building vice body building parameters...thus only doing compound lifts. I'll come in on my off days, or after 5x5 lifts and do some accessory isolation stuff. I see nothing wrong with lifting twice a day, but I run every day as well, and I like the rest from my AM run to my PM lift. Then I train at the dojo three or four times a week, late PM...or on a non-lift day like Sat morning.

13. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

If you want a programme with a bit more variety in the lifts used, look into the various options you have with Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 programme.

14. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

5 x 5 is a beginner's system. Designed for Direct Progressive Resistance.

It depends on how hefty you're lifting to really feel that you're 'really pushing yourself'.

It's difficult to make continuing progress with the Stronglifts 5 x 5 system. Particularly when you're also a Martial Artist (and/ or doing other resistance type work).

Once you hit a plateau with 5 x 5, you - generally - need to extend your training frequency beyond 3 times a week (i.e 3 times in 9 days and beyond). Or do something else.

This happens for most folks at between 9 months to 1 year. Or when you get to lifting 1 x, 1.5 x, 2 x bodyweight on the bar.

Because of the cumulative continuing volume of the Stronglifts 5 x 5 - You're doing approximately 24 sets of Squats (3 warmup, 5 work sets) it tends to lead (for a lot of people) Stagnation (or injury).

You'd be better off doing the Parks/ Grimek/ Rippetoe version of 5 x 5 - Which is - ISTR - 5 total sets (2 warmup at 25% 45%, 1 intermediate 55% to 65%, 2 work sets at 80% 85% or 85%, 90%) 2 to 3 times a week.

Most folks find that when they start lifting heftier the lesser volume of the Grimek etc 5 x 5 is more doable.

You can of course rotate your types of squats etc. Or substitute 1 of the Squat-Orientated sessions for another Deadlift one. Or a 'power' sessions (Cleans, Jump Squats, High Pulls etc) - And alternate weekly.

You can also make more continuing Direct Progressive Resistance - Strength wise - by training Less not More (the horror!).

Then you'd get Strength Benefits. And you could use the extra time to do a couple of modern 'Bodybuilding' type sessions if you must.

Good Luck

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
  15. afhuss

afhuss Valued Member

Well said. I definitely second.

16. Starsky

Starsky Valued Member

I couldn't have asked for better responses. Thanks to all.

17. Timmy Boy

Timmy Boy Man on a Mission

I think the simplest solution would be to just add chin ups after deadlifts rather than add a load of extra workouts. You get strong by recovering from workouts, not from the workouts themselves.

18. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

THIS!!! Very good advice. Actually OP you should be focused on getting more sleep. That is when growth from workouts occurs. Can you workout twice? Sure you can, but you risk more injury and if you aren't worn out enough from the first, then you need to up your intensity IMO of course.

19. yorukage

yorukage Valued Member

If you want a program that will build strength and give you nice looking muscles (I assume that is why you want to focus on the biceps and triceps more than what you current program does, to get nice looking guns) you can look at Kriss Gethin's 12 week transformation program. It's geared more to body builders (it's found at bodybuilding.com and is a free program) but incorporates some powerlifter exercises. You can probably ignore the cardio portions and meals, etc. in the program if body building transformation isn't you goal. I've enjoyed doing his program with my own modifications.

Also, Rich Piana highly recommends doing arms often if it's done in the high repetition range so the focus is on stimulating blood flow to the muscles to get a good pump and get the cells to swell and doing this gets them to grow without having to tear them down with heavy lifts. They will look nice, and won't hamper your current program too much if at all, I'd think. Rich says he feels like the increased blood flow from doing high repetition lifts that focus on one muscle group flushes them with nutrient rich blood and cleanses them of waste etc. I'm not an expert, so I'm only repeating what his theory is. Look at pictures and videos of him, and you can decide if he knows what he's talking about. FYI, he does admit to having taken steroids in his earlier days to get an advantage over his competition, so that can certainly impact things as well. Hope I've helped in some way.

20. Fish Of Doom

the crux of the matter is that to make something grow, it's generally a good idea to focus on it and work it often. methods for how to go about it are a dime a dozen, so you just have to choose one and see if it does the trick.