Anyone know about this story about Bruce Lee?

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by taiji48, Feb 14, 2014.

1. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Didn't happen man! You think PETA would have stood for it? :p

2. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

Lies! All lies! Just lies spread by the UFC to discredit the true martial arts! Your chi is weak, I can feel it from here.

I love traditional martial arts, but as Mel brooks said you have to be able to make fun of what you love :)

3. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Yeah that excuse doesn't fly in a relationship.

:D

4. Kew-Do

Kew-Do Valued Member

Hi Folks long time ...no see...

Sifu Weygandt

5. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Welcome back.

Demon Hunter Dean.

6. shootodog

That's not my chi ;)

7. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

My cat just ran away because I burst out laughing!

8. taiji48

taiji48 Valued Member

I couldn't recall any more details from the article. It just implied that Bruce didn't see them as being able to fight his way. (Let's be very clear that I am not trying to put down Bruce's disciples, I am just sharing with you what I read, without my own opinion.)

It is actually a more general question to all innovators of martial arts - Bruce Lee just happened to be the person who was asked that question.

It describes a situation where a great martial artist has outgrown his original art and developed a new system that works better for him. But he may not realize the reason that the new system works so well for him is it takes advantage of the skills he developed through his original art, although the original art itself (Wing Chun, Fencing, Cha-Cha,or whatever) is no longer visible in the new system.

It is a conversation more about developing new martial arts systems that are transferable to others than telling Bruce "hey, you owe Wing Chun big time!"

I hope this clarifies.

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It's apocryphal at best and probably complete bollocks at worst

Every person takes something of their beginnings with them...I still have flashes of Shukokai but not on any account would you say I looked like a karateka

10. shootodog

TapOut tapOut Tapout

11. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

So it must have it's roots in ninjutsu:vanish:.

12. Fujian Animal

Fujian Animal Banned Banned

doesn't really matter what any wing chun master has to say about jeet kune do, granted these two schools go hand-in-hand like mother and father, but regardless of what any wing chun master says, be it wong shun leung, or william cheung, or anyone else who trained in wing chun with bruce lee, there is a world of difference between yip man's wing chun, and bruce lee's jeet kune do, so when someone is desiring to learn more about jeet kune do, they should only pay close attention to what bruce lee says about jeet kune do

13. DrunkenMasterBE

DrunkenMasterBE Valued Member

Actually alot of famous Wing chun teachers respect bruce lee and even use his philosophie one of them is Samuel Kwok in some of his videos he talks about Bruce Lee also My wing chun teacher says that the system gives you 50% and the other 50% is all about how it works for you he also said if you train in something and it is not working stop training it

14. Fujian Animal

Fujian Animal Banned Banned

i am a disciple of samuel kwok's wing chun lineage and what you say is true