Anyone know about this story about Bruce Lee?

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by taiji48, Feb 14, 2014.

1. taiji48

taiji48 Valued Member

I forget where I read this, and I apologize in advance if it is already discussed by someone. But here is the gist of the story:

Bruce Lee visited HK and met one of his training partners / fellow students under Wing Chun grandmaster Ip Man. They had a good chat, and the guy asked Bruce whether he had trained any good martial artist under his JKD approach and could live up to his expectations.

Bruce couldn't answer that question.

Then the guy told Bruce that he was lucky to get trained by Ip Man and had a foundation in Wing Chun first, before he could develop JKD. Therefore, he could take a lot of things for granted in JKD, but his students, who had no prior training in Wing Chun, may never reach his level, because they didn't get that foundation. If that is the case, JKD should not be considered a complete system that can be teachable. It is Bruce Lee's personal style that can not be replicated in his students. It is said that Bruce felt he learned a lot from this conversation.

The main point of this guy is, if a system cannot produce great artists, then it should not be called a system or style.

Before anyone attacks me, please note that I am a huge admirer of Bruce Lee and studied JKD when I was young. Bruce is one of the few people that continues to inspire me. I have a huge collection of his quotes.

I just feel this guy had a good point, and it is really a philosophical question on whether "using no way as way" can lead to under-developing a system and not giving students the necessary tools to succeed.

Look forward to a thoughtful discussion.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It's sounds like another one of those myths WC people out out to try and justify Bruce Lee - arguably the reason the art is actually popular in the first place - left it behind and grew beyond it

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

didn't bruce actually train several world-renowned martial artists in JKD, anyway?

4. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

There is a false assumption here that JKD has never produced any good martial artists. I think this is a false assumption.
    What about Mr. Inosanto or Mr. Vunak? From the videos I've seen of Hannibals teacher Mr. Singh he is no strip mall karateka either!

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

You've missed me and Hannibal off that list. :D

6. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I think Bruce Lee was a successful martial artist in spite of his Wing Chun background, not because of it.

7. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

I do love a good 'chun story! :happy:
    What about the one where Bruce learned a somewhat watered down system and didn't complete his training? Because if he learned the real deal, and stuck with it he would have never created JKD, cause the 'chun is perfect. :rolleyes:
    Told to me with a straight face by a chunner I know. :eek:

8. Da Lurker

Da Lurker Valued Member

true.

JKD: bruce himself, inosanto, vunak, etc.

karate: oyama, motobu, machida, etc.

muay thai: buakaw, ... AAAAAAAARRRRRGH, too many!!!

wing chun: ip man......................................???????

*tumbleweed

hello? HELLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOO????!!! :rolleyes:

9. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

You must be joking. The number of accomplished martial artists who can trace their training back to Bruce Lee (often through Dan Inosanto) is immense.

10. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Let's pick this apart shall we?

If I were in his shoes, I wouldn't answer the question myself. First of all, good martial artist could mean good in wingchun or good in a chinese art. Dan Inosanto was already a fairly accomplished student of FMA before he came under Bruce, so Bruce would definitely not claim to make Maestro Dan "great". But Bruce influenced Guro Dan and he did teach and train him.

JKD is not Wing Chun. So yes it is "incomplete" as a Wing Chun system but it is a system.

I could make up a system synthesizing everything I've learned so far and call it "Flying Cockroach Fist" and if I could get it to work for myself and a few others, then it is a system.

If he did, he would have preached it. That's how Bruce is. If it made such a splash with Bruce, he would have mentioned the person by name.

OR

He learned that the other guy is full of it and should be avoided again.

Great in what way? Great fighters? What kind of fighters? Great teachers? The term 'artist' is vague. Heck, I do not call myself a martial artist. I do not wish anyone to call me a martial artist. It's so full of itself.

This story is full of holes, man. Urban myth and all that jazz. It's easy to dump on Bruce because he's dead.

I am not a student of JKD. I am not a big fan of Bruce Lee, the legend.

I will, however, give due credit that Bruce Lee was a good teacher and he came up with a system that worked for many people.

So, before we slander a dead man any further, please check your sources. Also, think about it. If you pick it apart, you'll see the holes.

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

THIS....just so much this!!!!!

Bravo sir!

12. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

You mean somebody made up a story using Bruce lee as a character to glorify their own system? I don't buy it :)

13. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Bruce had to develop JKD because he was too worried about killing people with wing chun...

:whistle:

14. shootodog

Hard to believe, but the proof is there.

15. shootodog

Then you should study my Flying Cockroach Fist! I have no qualms of killing all sorts of vermin.

It'll survive a Nuke!

16. Dean Winchester

You know at first glance I didn't see roach...

17. shootodog

The FCRF is not suppose to be seen. It is suppose to be felt. ;)

18. Dean Winchester

I use that excuse with the wife.

19. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

Impossible! Next you'll tell me people make up stories about martial arts masters doing amazing feats! And that mas Oyama couldn't actually beat up an angry bull!

20. shootodog

It's Valentine's day!:evil: