Anyone here workout day before MA?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Pkhamidar2com, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Pkhamidar2com

Pkhamidar2com Panda Member

Hey, i usually go swimming on Wednesdays, because its the day i have the most free time so i can spend it doing cardio.

But is it a bad idea to do a lot of cardio the day before MA's? I do Judo now, and i do that one thursdays at around 8 PM. I do swimming on wednesdays around 1 - 2 PM.

Does anyone else workout intensely the day before? Would you say its a bad idea?

Thank You

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  2. OwlMAtt

OwlMAtt Armed and Scrupulous

I do cardio every day I don't train. I wouldn't work out the same afternoon, just for fear of wearing myself out, but there's no harm in cardio the day before.

3. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

I lifted the day before kung fu last week. The main problem is soreness. Usually, for reasons I forget, it's a good idea to do cardio after strength training. Doing a lot of cardio the day before an MA class might be a mistake as you might not have any energy for the class. Otherwise, it's fine. I think.

4. Pkhamidar2com

I will probably be doing it for about 45 minutes, 15 min warm up, and 10 min cool down, then about 35 min of swimming, then need another 5 - 10 min to get changed, and go back to school

(they give you certain hours that you are allowed out of school, really sucks)

So its not going to be very long, like 1 hour. Probs about 35 - 40 min.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  5. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Yes, if that's what's on my schedule. You just need to plan your recovery well - sleeping, eating and drinking. You're young and fit, so training the day before MA shouldn't be a problem for you.

6. Pkhamidar2com

yesss! I was worried I would have to stop swimming cause it might cause overtraining. then again I know people who train in rowing my age 6 times a week 3 hours a day and they are beastly!

can't wait :D going to do swimming sprint's very explosively for anaerobic workout! something I have never done :)

thanks for the replies. I'm very happy now!

7. hardball

hardball Valued Member

Depends on how much ukemi you will be doing. Swimming works the shoulders and breakfalls/ukemi are rough on the shoulders. You may want to make a mental note of your shoulder soreness and adjust your swimming accordingly.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  8. Metal_Kitty

Metal_Kitty Valued Member

Last week I had to reschedule my crossfit session, and the only other time available was right before my MA training. I wouldn't do it again.....it was exhausting.

9. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

As long are you are taking your recovery as serious as your training you should be fine. So that means:

1) diet - enough protein and carbs to handle the training load

2) sleep - enough sleep to allow recovery - 99% of people need 8 hours

3) massage/MSR - probably one of the fastest ways to improve your training and performance is to get to grips with foam rolling for Myofascial Self Release... you not only have to worry about your muscles themselves but also the fascia... that surrounds not only each individual muscle fiber... but also whole muscles as well. Massage is very similar - on top of feeling great it does good things for relieving muscle soreness and mental state.

10. Pkhamidar2com

yeah I need help with sleep. it takes me a while to get to sleep. :/

and also for SMR I found some pvc pipes lying around in the garden amd found a very big roll.of foam.

ilk be using that. tennis balls work but they keep breaking / splitting in half.

11. Teflon

Teflon Valued Member

It depends on your current levels of fitness too, as well as the things already mentioned like diet and rest/recovery time. If you're sleeping enough, eating well, and keeping well hydrated you should be able to build yourself up to any kind of level. Personally it took me about 8 weeks to go from 4 lessons a week to 6 + 3 circuits + 3 runs, building everything up gradually until its all at a good level. You can work out twice in a day without adverse affects (3x if you consider running a workout), just remember to eat, hydrate and sleep!!

12. John R. Gambit

John R. Gambit The 'Rona Wrangler

I had to check out what you meant by this, and God I love our modern lives.

http://www.betterfitnessproducts.com/rumbleroller.html

I need to get me one of these. Preferably the woman to go with it.

13. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Get a hockey ball or cricket ball! :)

14. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

No you don't. I gave you a meditation exercise which you confirmed had worked for you. Now you just need to discipline yourself and do it regularly.

Remember it takes 7-21 days to become entrained to a new sleep pattern; so it is no good going to bed early one day, then going to bed late and wondering why you can't sleep.

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93777

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93727

15. Pkhamidar2com

Yeah true that, i have been keeping an inconsistent sleeping pattern. Usually because friday and weekends...

So would you say to slowly decrease... e.g. if i want to go to bed an hour or so earlier... should i go to bed every day for a month an hour early, or should i decrease the time you go to bed by 5 min every day or something?

Your technique works! it does.... but mind keeps wondering off, and i then end up looking at the clock...

I do do it every night btw ;) But it still takes more than 30 min, possible 45 min.

16. Grizwald

Grizwald Valued Member

Is this posted in the forum anywhere? It often takes me a while to get to sleep and I've been looking at various options like this.

Currently I have a couple of free iPhone apps that play various sounds (wildlife, waves on the beach, storms etc) but when my mind is really racing at night these don't work.

17. Pkhamidar2com

i dont knwo how to link to someones post directly but here, its on this page by simonS

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105306&page=14

imo it should be stickied.

18. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

19. Raton

Raton New Member

Absolutely no problem. Cardio is also very, very light stress for your body, depending on your intensity levels though. I do a heavy workout where I push myself to the limits on Thursday morning and then have Capoeira training for hour and half in the evening, and people who have trained Capoeira know it is one of the most upper body strength demanding MAs out there. And been doing this for a long time now, haven't experienced much problems except that sometimes it is pain to push yourself up from the tatami ;)

The thing is, don't worry about this stuff. If you don't feel overtrained in a long run there is absolutely no point to hold yourself back. You are most likely to undertrain than overtrain.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  20. Pkhamidar2com

haha hey raton!! thanks man!!