Anyone Hearing Impaired?

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by Dragoon72, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Dragoon72

Dragoon72 New Member

Just wondering if any of you are because I'm HI and I'd like to talk to anyone who is also HI.

2. ember

ember Valued Member

I'm not, but I train with someone who is.

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Yep - me.

I wear hearing aids in both ears.

4. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

I am selectively deaf (according to my parents).

Does that count? :D

5. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Yup, wear one hearing aid...

6. Dragoon72

Dragoon72 New Member

Anyone who's selectively deaf's does count ^-^
    I'm a Cochlear Implantee because I'm completely deaf. I've never met any deaf martial artist but I know a local boy who does Karate (though I've never met him).

(A guy next to me said he does Karate but I don't really believe him, unless he got a pic of himself and he says he's a blue belt *raises an eyebrow* Bet he's pulling my leg though (he always does))

7. BoredNow

BoredNow Valued Member

Have some hearing loss, though it's not bad enough to require me to wear hearing aid. Just means I had to take time to 'tune in' to the instructors voice and learn to lip read Korean commands! :)

8. The Decay of Meaning

The Decay of Meaning Valued Member

I'm not deaf, but I sometimes have problem hearing when I am tired. Sometimes I lose concentration and everything become just a soup of noise. Not pretty.

9. Dragoon72

Dragoon72 New Member

Hmm... I didn't know some people could like... get hearing problem when they get tired.
    I'd probably have to learn to lip read Japanese commands but the good thing is, I'm learning Japanese next year! :) (Heh, now I have confidence that I WILL do Taekido because I just found out last night my friend didn't quit! Yay! :D )

10. Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior New Member

Hey there! Another hard of hearing guy reporting in. I wear two hearing aids, lip read, and sign (ASL and SEE sign).

So I see some of you are deaf/hard of hearing/selective of hearing ;)... but do any of you know sign language?

11. Keikai

Keikai Banned Banned

What? :D

12. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Speak up Greg - didn't quite catch that :p

13. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

Can't do BSL or ASL but I'm ok at Makaton (getting rusty though as I don't need to use it as much now)....not quite the same I know. If I had a bit more time probably would go and do BSL.

Slight thread drift......Anyone got experience with teaching MA to people who suffer with sensory overload i.e. everything's louder & brighter than it should be???

14. Dragoon72

Dragoon72 New Member

I do Auslan and English sign language but I'd doubt I'd ever learn Japanese sign language to REALLY understand what the instructors are saying or I'd say "What's that, Instructor?" or "Can you say that again?" That's a little embarrassing and timewasting for me because later on I'll forget what he/she had said!

15. Holy Knight

Holy Knight New Member

I am, since birth. I have about 30% of normal hearing, but it took me until I was 12 years old to start wearing ONE hearing aid, another 5 to wear a second one. Now 18, and and still stubbornly stating that I need no help to understand something :D

Also, back in primary and high school, for some unknown reason, I was always top of each class :D ( less so now, college is a toughie )

16. UGFighter

UGFighter Valued Member

profound hearing loss in my right ear, moderate-severe in my left.

17. TwIsT

TwIsT Son Of Odin!

Completely Deaf in my right ear, with a tendency to ignore anything coming in my left ear :)

18. Shantari

Shantari Valued Member

I've got tinnitus, dunno if that counts

19. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Women tell me I turn death when they start talking about emotions... does that count :D

20. ralphylad

ralphylad New Member

What was that......here in pairs???

Only because I've been smashed in the ear at training and perforated my ear drum, common problem.