anyone heard of that ... ?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Budoka, Aug 15, 2003.

1. Budoka

Budoka New Member

Has anyone of you ever heard of "Pananjakman"? I read it on a website, but the information provided on, was neither complete nor enough.

2. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Are you sure that wasn't Panantukan (sp?)-Filipino Boxing?

3. stump

stump Supersub

I believe pananjackman is filipino kicking.

I don't think it counts as a separate art but more of a generic term to describe the filipino style of kicking in general

4. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Is there anything unique, different or unusual about Filipino Kicking methods? Or are they relatively similar to most other Marts?

Anybody care to spill the beans?-I know very little about Filipino Arts

5. thiaboxr2

thiaboxr2 New Member

I do not claim to know all, but the only kicking method I am aware of is called Sikeran. It exists in many of the arts. I know Bakbaken kali students are taught it. Many other schools as well.

6. pesilat

pesilat Active Member

I've heard both pananjakman and sikaran used to describe Filipino kicking arts.

As far as differences between them and other kicking styles ... as usual, the primary difference with the FMA arts is the blades. Not all, but some Filipino arts use blades between their toes. This means that some of the kicks employed (without the blade) will seem unorthodox (though will often still be effective without the blade).

This isn't an across the board thing. Past that, though, I've not seen enough of Filipino kicking material to really give many details. Though, in what I've seen in my training, the kicking tends to be low line. Generally below the knee because bringing it higher starts getting it into a risky area if the other guy has a knife (which the FMA are pretty much always thinking about).

Mike

7. Bodhi

Bodhi New Member

Low Line

Pesilat is correct,

In our training, kicks are mainly delivered to the low line or knees, shins, Ankles & the top of the foot. We rarely engage an attack with kicks, we try to focus on delivering kicks while distracting the opponent up high. (mainly because we don't want to kick at them, if they are holding a weapon, stick, knife, etc..)
    If the opponent is empty-handed, then we may attack higher, towards the thigh or kick to the ribs or solor-plexus.

Hope this helps.

Peace

8. ratman

ratman Valued Member

I heard of some filopino kick boxing, Yan paw
    (something like that) . It says it had the most devestating back kick(to taekwondo people..dwi chagi)and high kicks.Most of the pictures looked old though. The website seemed incomplete. Believe it required the participants to do the full box split. Kinda like thai boxing , but not. I`ll try finding the website again.

9. ratman

ratman Valued Member

10. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

Hi Ratman,

I think you are referring to Yaw Yan - described as a cross between TKD and Thai-Boxing, with a uniquely Filipino flavour, i.e. more psychotic than either of the aforementioned arts!!!

Bill

11. littlebird

littlebird New Member

Pananjakman

Quite powerful and versatile. Adaptable to combat.

Kind of a Low reaching Savate with lots of possibility for variation.

See Vunak. I think he even has produced a video on it.

12. krys

krys Valued Member

Yaw yan is supposed to be an original filipino art.. they train in weapons too... I think there are at least two different yaw-yan styles.

13. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

there are two different style in yaw yan, the labuyo or the traditional yaw yan and hybrid yaw yan which also focuses on grappling. Yaw yan fighters have the speed and mobility of tkd fighter and the power and brutality of thai boxers