Anyone good at EXCEL?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by |MT|omar, May 7, 2006.

1. |MT|omar

|MT|omar Thai Boxer

Hey guys just got a couple of questions reguarding Microsoft Excel... (version 2002)

i just need to know, how do i go about making a function that displays info from one cell, onto another cell. eg
    Cell A1 has a value written on it, i want this value to be displayed on Cell C10

and....

is it possible to make an 'otherwise' function
    eg. If A1 >10<20, TRUE, "otherwise" >20<30
    in other words:
    if cell A1 is greater than 10 and less than 20 the value is true, 'otherwise' check if it's greater than 20 and less than 30

I've looked on the net, i've asked my mates, none of them could help so i decided to turn to the good people at MAP for a hand :D
    by the way, if anyone has any links that are fairly easy to understand they would be greatly appreciated.

-Thanks

2. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

To display the value of another cell click on the cell then the equal sign on the formula bar and either click the cell(s) or enter the value e.g. =E2 would give the same value as cell E2. For the other part you will need to use the IF function. In the same formula bar the default action is set to SUM (add stuff) just change it to IF and it will ask for the criteria something like this
    IF(condition, action if true, action if false) There is also a SUMIF function.

3. |MT|omar

|MT|omar Thai Boxer

The 1st part worked fine, but i can't get this to work at all, no matter what i tried it just comes up as FALSE

=IF(A5>6000<21600,C4,"FALSE")
    If A5 is greater than 6000, less than 21600, then display the value on cell C4, otherwise say 'FALSE'

The prob is, even when i type a value that is in between those 2 points, it doesn't want to display the value, rather it just says FALSE.

Is there any other way to say 'in between' in excel without having to use > or <?

4. Declan

Declan Valued Member

Type your test value into cell A5, as you said.

Type your other value into cell C4, as you said.

Pick a cell where you want to function to display the result, let's say A1.

Type the following formula into A1:

=IF(AND(6000<A5, A5<21600),C4,FALSE)

Alternatively, you can type 6000 into cell A6 and 21600 into cell A7 and use the following forumula in cell A1:

=IF(AND(A6<A5, A5<A7),C4,FALSE)

I recommend the second approach. That way you can change your test values without having to change the formula.

Regards,

Declan

5. bcullen

bcullen They are all perfect.

Ah ok a nested IF statement. Try:

=IF(A5>6000,IF(A5<21600,A5,"FALSE"))

6. |MT|omar

|MT|omar Thai Boxer

AWESOME! works perfect, thanks heaps for that :D