Anyone from Manila?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by juramentado, May 18, 2003.

1. homero

homero New Member

hi. i'm new here. i wonder if any of you guys know an aikido dojo around manila.

2. krys

krys Valued Member

Don't forget sexy dancers...... hehehehe :D

Sorry couldn't resist......

Last edited: Oct 13, 2003
  3. shootodog

shootodog restless native

anyone from the pinoymma.com forum?

4. saikyou

saikyou New Member

try to contact the guys from PCAF. (Philippine Combat Aikido Federation) ask them if they have a list of dojos near your place.
    PCAF website

5. juramentado

juramentado lean, mean eating machine

although this is an FMA forum, allow me to provide some info:

Aikido Philippines

6. shootodog

shootodog restless native

toby reyes wants to have a sparring session. any manilans want in?

7. Enjoy

Enjoy New Member

Born in Cebu, but lived in America my whole life... just starting martial arts.

8. saikyou

saikyou New Member

welcome to the forum! what kind of m.a.?

9. Enjoy

Enjoy New Member

Thanks. I'm starting tae kwon do.

10. juramentado

hey, why don't we organize a Manila EB? :)

11. Gravity

Gravity New Member

Politics in FMA, Aaargh!

Yeah, politics in FMA made me drop out. I used to train under Grandmaster Cacoy Canete between 1989 and 1990. We used to get up at dawn and hike in the Capitol Hills bringing along our olisis. It was a sad day for me when GM Cacoy went to the US for a long time.

After Cacoy, I tried to learn the La Punti style but the stigma of being affiliated with the Canete brothers somehow made me an outcast there.

Then I tried to learn the art again under GM Dionisio Canete - only to find out later that Diony and Cacoy are "serious enemies". Hahaha. Talk about being caught in between!

Finally, in 1994, I dropped FMA altoghether from my list and learned Aikido, Aikijutsu and a little Kenjutsu instead. Nowadays, I still practice the Aiki arts but incorporate some FMA (arnis, kali and eskrido) into my weapons techniques.

But, there are times when I reminisce my FMA days and wished that I had continued in it.

12. surgingshark

surgingshark Valued Member

Paranaque City here...used to live there, now I'm in Long Beach, CA

ANG LAMIG DITO!!!!!!!!!

13. Gryphon Hall

Gryphon Hall Feeling Scholler

Just moved to Novaliches a few months ago.

I am not formally trained.

I want to be formally trained, pero masyadong mahal.

I learned by relying on freebies, i.e. I watched my Dad workout, I sparred with my brother for as long as I can remember, and then spar with guys who have been formally trained and try to beat them (siyempre, hindi nga ako formally trained, so that doesn't happen very often).

I am very interested in free (as in, libreng) sparring with anyone who wants to, but don't expect much.

Must be my Ilocano blood. :D

14. shoto-kali

shoto-kali The Chosen One

luneta at ibpa

shoto-kali here, born and raised in paco, manila and now trying to make a living here in las vegas.

for gryphon hall, if you want to learn FMA (even traditional karate) for free/cheap fee why not trying go on the weekends sa Luneta or sa QC circle. They have a bunch of good (and not so good) MA instructor there who will be willing to teach you FMA for free/cheap fee (even a balut vendor can afford). I just remember 3-5yrs ago, TFC-ABS/CBN has a segment in their show about this matro-aide cleaner in Luneta who is consider one of the best arnisador in there, alot of foreigner/westener trying to convience the old man to go with them (Australia/USA/Europe) to teach Arnis, for what ever reason the old man always turn them down, he said heenjoy what he'sdoing in Luneta and teaching his style to those who want to learn from him.

15. juramentado

Here's a list of FMA schools in Metro Manila

http://www.soapbox101.com/fmalist

It's not complete but has enough there for you to choose from.

Guys, let's plan a Manila MAP meeting. I already know some guys here and I'd like to meet the rest of the Manila FMA MAP crowd.

sound off if you're open to the idea...

16. xLJx

xLJx New Member

dude, sounds great! let us have an EB in Manila... we can have some chicharon or sisig together... but I don't drink anything with alcohol in it...

17. Gryphon Hall

Gryphon Hall Feeling Scholler

Many Thanks

Maraming Salamat, juramentado. Even if I don't get to join any of them, it is nice to know that there are still a lot of them out there, not just Lightning Arnis.

Maraming Salamat, shoto-kali. I have heard about that one, and I may screw up the courage to go there one time. A friend of a friend actually goes there already; but I have heard that challenges are still issued around there, especially if there is some pikunan.

I am basically a weapons guy, and my empty-hand techniques are kinda rusty. Pero thanks. I hope you do well over there.