Anyone from Manila?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by juramentado, May 18, 2003.

1. officer_fujita

officer_fujita New Member

I guess it can be likened to what others have said before, like the best basketball coach doesn't necessarily have to be a basketball superstar like Michael Jordan... just someone who knows what he's doing and can bring out the best out of his team. :)

Juramentado:

No, I don't think bad of FMA, but a change in the attitude of some (not all) of the current FMA teachers here (Ph) would be welcome. And as I've said, I am still interested in learning a Filipino martial art in the future.

Hmn... should I take sikaran, or modern arnis? Lol, it's hard choosing a martial art.

I'll also try to look more into pekiti tirsia :)

2. juramentado

juramentado lean, mean eating machine

yes, I agree. Teaching a martial art requires a different set of skills altogether. Some people are just natural teachers and seem to know how best to motivate the students. Some are more suited to pushing the envelope of the style rather than disseminating the art.

I think there's a changing attitude among the local FMA teachers. Among the FMA people I know there is a growing awareness and even insistence on moving away from the negative attitudes that have help FMA in the shadows of the other martial arts.

You are most welcome to study Pekiti Tirsia, or any other FMA style. if you want to watch our class, just PM me for more details.

:)

3. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

That gives me real hope - it's attitudes like yours that are going to bring about positive changes :D

4. juramentado

You' be surprised how many of us think like this. There are high ranking FMA instructors in the US and Canada who are openly asking for change. And I think attitude changes will be the key to bringing interest in the FMA among Filipinos and even those learning it abroad.

Another reason for the lack of interest is that a lot of Filipinos got exposure to FMA at school, taught to them in a very sloppy manner by "teachers" who didn't know anything except to swing a stick. It's not the fault of the style of FMA taught but rather the quality of instruction. In the haste to teach it in schools, a lot of PE instructors were forced to do crash courses in FMA just to qualify to teach it.

The change therefore is not to create an army of mediocre teachers but rather to develop a sustainable corp of competent guros who really love what they teach and are very knowledgeable about their style. This will take time of course but if the decline of FMA among Filipinos in general is to be eliminated, then this is the best way to do it, IMHO.

:)

5. XxSweetFacadexX

XxSweetFacadexX New Member

manila here!

actually, yeah. i'm in manila. :)

6. krys

krys Valued Member

There will be a silat competition in Manila from August 11-18, it will be sport silat but if somebody's interested I'll ask for details....

7. alqhiqeurass

alqhiqeurass Valued Member

yo yo yo fellow FMA-ists! this is my first post!

Mabuhay Kayo! :D

8. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

glad to see some filipinos here as well. Its just sad that politics is so rampant in the FMA community and so much bashing like thi style of arnis is a superior form as to others etc etc

9. DeeTee

DeeTee Valued Member

Hi,
    I been reading this thread with some interest - especially what Juramentado had to say about certain FMA groups getting together in Manila for Picnics etc.
    I tried organising something like this a few years back and couldn't get anyone to meet up - nobody wanted to know. It may be because I'm not a name or belong to any group anymore, but if anyone wants to try and implement this kind of thing I'd definitely be up for it.

10. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

does anyone here know of the contacts of balintawak arnis in the phils? thanks

11. XxSweetFacadexX

contacts? umm.. i have a really good and awesome instructor that the people in the Martial Arts forum directed me to (and i am forever grateful!)

here:
    http://balintawak.s5.com/home.html

his other contact info is there.

12. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

do you train under balintawak?? where? what are the rates and training sked?

13. XxSweetFacadexX

yes. i train in balintawak. Bob Silver comes to my house and gives me personal lessons. it's 1000 pesos per lesson for an hour (it sometimes goes to 2 hours if we lose track of time). i forgot the class rates. i think it's on the website.

i'm in Quezon City, btw. where are you?

14. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

Im from paranaque city. What part in qc?

15. XxSweetFacadexX

West Triangle. i think Bob Silver is close to ortigas tho.

16. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

i sent guro bob an email. I'll probably check it out next week.

17. Em-em

Em-em I wanna go home!

I'm a Filipina and it's only now that I realized there are a LOT of FMA's. I only heard about Sikaran and Arnis because they were once featured in '5 and Up' (defunct kid friendly TV show of GMA7) and I'm not a TV bum.

Anyway, I'm studying at UPD.

18. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

hi em-em :) what art are you into?

19. juramentado

TheMachine, you do any FMA?

20. Em-em

Em-em I wanna go home!

I'm mostly into karate but I had a little experience on arnis. It was required during one of my High School Intramurals. :)