Anyone Box?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by YODA, Jun 10, 2002.

1. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Hi all

The lead hook to the head - do you favour a palm down fist or a thumb on top fist?

Why?

2. waya

waya Valued Member

I have two neighbors that were amatuer boxers that I spar with. Gives a new outlook on fighting lol

3. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Palm Down.

From Orthodox stance;

I would use lead hook as a surprise technique, which would pop up over my opponents right shoulder (usually with a forwards 45 degree movement), and bypass his guard. The hook would have to take a more or less straight and horizontal path through his chin to acheive the desired effect. therefor the technique requires that I extend the elbow to make impact, rather than turn the hips, or draw in the shoulder and chest.

The thumb up hook would work against an opponent with no guard, or with an opposing lead, but is cruder, relying on unstoppable power, rather than boxing skill.

Palm down to hit the chin and spin the brain!

Thumb up to make a resounding impact and 'move' your opponent!

?

4. mmafiter

mmafiter New Member

I prefer the palm down method, particularly when in close.

The palm down method or "amateur hook" as we call it teaches you to keep your elbow up which can be used should you miss with the fist. Also, with your elbow up, this means your shoulder is up and hiding your chin, making it more difficult for your opponent to counterpunch and knock me out.

Finally, the "amateur hook", enables me to use a quick short movement from guard and hit my opponent's jaw with the index finger knuckle, very "heavy" and very painful.:)

Good question, I'm interested to see everyone's response.:cool:

5. Acekicken

Acekicken Submission Fighter

I've done some Boxing

It's a tuff sport.
    Great for coditioning.

But it's hard to hold back the Use of the
    Other tools.

6. YODA

Strange - I've never found it a problem. Just like I never confused English & Maths and tried to add the words up during English class at school.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2002
  7. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

What other tools? Did u use an arm lock!?

Why are few martial arts style blocks used in boxing? :D

8. Acekicken

No When I Box i box other tool
    Such as kicks Elbow & knees

I'm also 1-0 in MMA
    I pre fer this cause I can use all my tools
    Submissons are my best techniques as
    well so i prefer to take the fight to the floor

But i can & have done stand up fighting.

9. Acekicken

Blocking is hard when U have Gloves on

Also Since boxers train with multipal shots (combos)
    bobing & weaving are employed more.

10. Ayane

Ayane New Member

I think that blocking with gloves is acually easier for me. my gloves cover more of my face... i guess it also has to do with the size and weight of the gloves u use. i use 16 oz gloves when i train.

and i prefer the palm down hook, i honestly haven't learned any other way and feel awkward trying a hook with your thumb out. but that 's just me.

11. binski20

binski20 Valued Member

I box. To answer the question about why so few martial arts style blocks are employed, they are and they aren't. Boxers do block some shots. These blocks are not done in the same style as martial arts though. They are a slight hand or arm block done with as little movement as possible.
    The reason for this is the way boxers fight. Anyone who has boxed, against another real boxer, will know that through the sweet science, a block where one would fully extend or move the arm would leave you very vulnerable to a counterattack or combination. Boxing is a sport where openings are a rare commodity, and anything to create on is foolish. Even if the block was sucessful, it would not leave you in a great position to launch an attack before the opponenet could recover.

Just my 2 cents.

Keep training!

12. Cain

Cain New Member

I kinda experimented on this and found that I prefer the thumb on top instead.....gives me better body feel
    |Cain|

Last edited: Nov 12, 2002
  13. YODA

For some bizare reason unknown at this time I throw lead hooks thumb up from right lead & palm down on left lead hooks.

I fight right lead maybe 80% of the time.

14. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Its not your hook I'm worried about Yoda, its your jab :D

I prefer to throw a lead hook palm down, just 'feels' more solid. In saying that vertical fist feels like a faster, more compressive motion.

Colin

15. Cain

Cain New Member

Umm....Freeform remember fluidity and speed overcomes rigidness 'feels more solid' is rigidness but a vertical fist gives you a better body feel.......but then again it may not be the same in your case.......but then maybe......just my thoughts.......
    |Cain|

16. binski20

binski20 Valued Member

I've been boxing a little over a year and a half, and as far as I have been trained, and practiced, the vertical fist and horizontal fist both have different purposes.
    I was trainedto use a vertical fist for a hook with a little longer distance, and the horizontal for shorter distance. That's how I was trained and it feels comfortable.
    May or may not be right, but it feels right.

17. YODA

Yeah - that makes sense. If I'm in close enough for a tight hook I prefer to elbow - unless we're straight boxing of course :Angel:

18. Cain

Cain New Member

Hmm....Yoda, did you consider a crossed fist? like not vertical or horizontal but kind of like in between......a slanted fist if you know what I mean.
    |Cain|

19. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

cain did ya mean somthing like hook from high to down like slashing??
    -TkdWarrior-

20. YODA

Hi Cain

No - not for the hook.

I use this type of fist for the shovel hook though - and also for my straight lead punch (not a jab - a straight lead power shot)