Anybody study their own techniques....

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by energyboost, Oct 31, 2002.

1. energyboost

energyboost New Member

Anybody study their own techniques and look at what they could be doing faster, or stronger and if you do would you share them?

I'll start, I noticed that when I kick, in general I can achieve more speed and power by sinking my weight, this is done by slightly bending the knee while i'm launching a kick, not only does it lower your center of gravity but it adds more balance. Also in case someone grabs your leg you can use your lower center of gravity to your advantage by grabbing the other person's kneck, and falling with them. So either the person let's go or they have a very sore neck.

If anyone else has some feedback I'd love to hear it, including any disadvantages you might find in my way, or little tips on being faster, and producing more power.

2. johndoch

johndoch upurs

when lowering your centre of gravity as you say just remember to minimise your movements in preparation so as not to telegraph your strike.

3. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I can't say thats something I do. I prefer to keep my centre of gravity higher, I feel it keeps me more mobile than a deeper stance. Doesn't lowering yourself while kicking reduce the power of the kick by moving you weight against the direction of the kick? (if that makes any sense). And as Doc says, body movement before a kick telegraphs the move!

With most of my kicking I try and keep my body very still, while flicking the kick out. Maybe less power but harder to spot. Apart from a hard roundhouse kick when i turn my body as much as possible to generate power.

4. energyboost

energyboost New Member

The trick is not to bend your knee too much but to KEEP it slightly bent. There's less strain on the muscles this way so it's faster..less strain = less resistance, more speed = more power

kinetic energy = mass * velocity^2

meaning as you double speed the power quadruples

Last edited: Oct 31, 2002
  5. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

There is a slight bend in my knee when I kick, the same as my normal stance. I don't think anybody kicks with the other leg striaght[?]

But, how is there less strain on the muscles? And what about the other problems mentioned, that arise from lowering your centre of gravity as you kick?

6. johndoch

johndoch upurs

nobody kicks with there joints locked thats true but i do believe that transfering power through a strike is not so much about the maths of kinetic energy etc. but more to do with accuracy and timing. Accuracy and timing are king over power.

7. fistsoffury

fistsoffury New Member

When performing a roundhouse kick is your kicking leg fully extented or bent?
    Also, are mid-air round houses good or generally frowned upon?
    If they are good, could someone describe proper execution of this move?

8. Acekicken

Acekicken Submission Fighter

My Training Partners & i Video Tape
    Sparring sessions & Fights
    So we can go over what we've done
    What we could have done
    What we should have done
    What we did Right What we did Wrong.