Any Qi Gong people on here?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by RexKwonDo Jones, Jan 25, 2013.

1. RexKwonDo Jones

RexKwonDo Jones Valued Member

New to the site and was wondering how many of you guys practice meditation and energy cultivation? I know I mentioned Qi Gong specifically but that's just what I do. The all-permeating energy is inherit to many schools of thought ranging from the esoteric to the occult. Anyone know any good resources on this kinda stuff? Or just have any interesting meditational practices?

2. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

I practice various meditation methods, and qigong - but I don't subscribe to "all-permeating energy".

The best resource for learning about this area is personal practice.
    Books, videos, websites will all attack your brain with their own POV's - the idea is that you should be exploring this for yourself.

3. RexKwonDo Jones

A very valid stance indeed. So you practice Qi Gong but do not believe in Qi? Not trying to be snarky or anything, just seems a bit contradictory.

4. Dan Bian

I didn't say I don't believe in Chi, just that I don't subscribe to the idea of "all-permeating energy".

The issue with Chi is that there is no universally agreed upon defination of what "Chi" is.

Also, I don't know how the engine of my car works, but I know how to operate the vehicle for its purpose. The same can be said of qigong. I don't know what 'chi' is, or even if it exists, but I am aware of the benefits that I gain from my personal Qigong practice, and I'm happy with those benefits.

5. RexKwonDo Jones

Perhaps not universal, but I do believe that the majority of Qi Gong instructors and practitioners would agree that the most applicable and simplified definition of qi is "universal life energy". Something inherent in every molecule.

6. Dan Bian

But what is 'universal life energy' ??

These issues are why I stay away from the whole chi debate. Just practice, and come to your own conclusions. I've stated my opinions on Chi before on these forums, and that can be found by searching.

7. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I found a picture of chi:

[​IMG]

8. RexKwonDo Jones

Stay away if you wish, but I think it's a very noble debate :p Perhaps it's the last gift our dying creator left us? Left over creation energy? Cosmic radiation? DIVINE radiation? Wild speculation abounds! Ultimately though, I do agree with you that it all comes down to understanding on a personal level. Language is a limited tool not suited for conveying the metaphysical. Your experiences, and the way you perceive them as an individual, shape your view of reality.

9. Dan Bian

Yes, I think I will step away now.

10. RexKwonDo Jones

I was just trying to say goofy "deep" stuff about chi lol.

11. RexKwonDo Jones

HOWEVER, you should know that it is ultimately empty to practice qi gong without attempting to comprehend the base concept. You may achieve the physical benefits, but it is a way encompassing body, mind, and spirit. Perhaps meditation will eventually lead you to understand qi on a less physical level.

12. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

Good resources? Juice by Scott Meredith.Its about the best book on the subject.

13. Dan Bian

I bow to your superior knowledge...

:hail:

14. RexKwonDo Jones

I really did not mean to sound condescending. All I was saying is that meditation often "reveals" things, and that a deeper understanding of your body's energy can certainly come from it. From what you said it seemed that you would rather focus on the physical aspects instead of involving yourself in a debate without definite answers, but forgive me if I took that the wrong way. Personally I've only been studying energy and meditation for about a year now. I CERTAINLY do not possess extensive knowledge on the subject, most of what I know was passed down to me.

15. RexKwonDo Jones

While I'm blabbing, let me briefly re-examine your car metaphor

"Also, I don't know how the engine of my car works, but I know how to operate the vehicle for its purpose. The same can be said of qigong. I don't know what 'chi' is, or even if it exists, but I am aware of the benefits that I gain from my personal Qigong practice, and I'm happy with those benefits."

Yes, you can drive a car without knowledge of what an engine is or does. It will transport you physically, as a car should. But what about when you have problems with your engine? You simply pay somebody to fix it for you. Maybe buy a new car if it's really bad.

I believe the majority of us view our overall well being this way. Our body works, that's good enough. Got a problem? Pay a doctor, buy pills, get surgery even.

Now going back to cars and engines, say that one day you decided instead of buying new car parts, you were going to look WITHIN your car and really take a hard look at the engine, studying it, figuring out how it works. You may well gain the capability to perform the necessary adjustments and repairs yourself. You will have that car humming like new with nothing but your own two hands and a wrench. Your spiritual, emotional, and physical well being is that engine, and meditation is the wrench, and knowledge of chi is what you need to use that proverbial wrench.

Putting my poor metaphors aside, what I'm saying is that though you can use qi gong to grow strong, if you don't embrace the concept of intrinsic energy then you're only getting 1/3rd of the full package. If I told you it would allow you to control your body, you would tell me that you can already do that. But without really experiencing higher energy levels, I don't think you would really know what you're missing. It is QUITE easy to doubt something you haven't witnessed.

As for me being 21, lacking a formal instructional background, and having been taught the ways of Qi Gong by some guy you don't know, sorry if that puts you off. But a true philosopher must be open to knowledge from any direction :)

I have no doubt you know very well how to operate your body for its designated function: physical existence. You can maintain your own physical condition, because this is what you understand best. But ask yourself this, do you know why you have feelings? Why they are there? Do you believe you have a soul, and if so, do you wonder what it's doing in a meat bag?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  16. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

What are the remaining 2 thirds?

How do you know?

17. RexKwonDo Jones

With the 1/3 I was referencing being physical health, I would consider the other two to be emotional and spiritual health.

I DON'T know. I am not trying to pass off anything I say as the hard facts of qi gong. This is all my personal interpretation derived from my own experience, but all the same I hold strongly to my convictions. They resonate well for me. I think the notions that seem to come to you from nowhere are often the ones you need to listen to the closest.

18. Killa_Gorillas

What IS chi Gong and how does it directly relate to physical spiritual and emotional health?

How does this differ from physical exercise, self reflection/introspection, diet etc..?

19. RexKwonDo Jones

This is a GREAT article I read on here earlier that should answer those questions to a much better degree than I can.

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89736

But to me, Qi Gong is simply a way to live your life with a solid basis. It is not necessarily removed from things like exercise, introspection, and diet. Qi Gong can incorporate all of these things, or any of those individual things may incorporate elements of QG philosophy. Sounds like a cop-out I know, but I'm just trying to emphasize the varied applications it has to the much more varied concept of life as a whole, and how you choose to live yours. It even helped my bass playing :)

20. Killa_Gorillas

I play bass too! :) I'll give it a read tomorrow.