Any pro fighters on here? I have a few questions.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by AndrewTheAndroid, Apr 26, 2018.

1. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

When did you decide to make the jump from amateur to pro? What was your record like? How did you fund your training?

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Depends on what pros you ask. Loads of guys go to Thailand and fight and train without an amateur career. It's crazy but awesome.

For boxers, if you're serious, you'll fight amateur and win titlesome locally and if you're good, regional or maybe Olympics.

For MMA, you cry yourself to sleep in frustration every night until you eventually give up cause it's just too hard.

AndrewTheAndroid likes this.
  3. AndrewTheAndroid

hmmm Thailand isn't an option and I'm not a boxer. I just want to do mma so I guess I'll just bang my head against the wall?

I'm seriously considering streaming my fitness training and possibly any fights I may have as a way to fund this crazy dream of mine.

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

If you don't have the experience at amateur, you'll be found wanting in pro.

5. AndrewTheAndroid

True, I'm just curious about how much experience the typical pro fighter has before they get paid to fight.

6. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

I'd be interested in seeing how you train.

Travess likes this.
  7. AndrewTheAndroid

I mostly do cardio and body weight exercises with a few free weights to round things out. Nothing special just working hard.

Jaydub likes this.
  8. Pretty In Pink

In MMA anywhere between 1 to 20 fights. Amateurs get paid or ticket deals at least. Don't know about other countries though

Dead_pool likes this.
  9. Pretty In Pink

If you're not serious about it then just go pro. You can find someone of similar experience pretty easy. It's not like boxing where you might take a contender straight away.

10. Dead_pool

In the UK its normally ticket deals, and its not normally that much, per hour, if you want money your better off getting a part time job.

11. AndrewTheAndroid

I talked with my trainer about that. Canadians don’t get anything other than exposure and glory for fighting amateur in Canada.

12. Dead_pool

So what's stopping you competing for just that?

13. Jaydub

Jaydub Valued Member

Sounds like a great way to spend a Saturday night.

Dead_pool likes this.
  14. Pretty In Pink

Man amateur money is crazy and pro money is hardly any better. At amateur it wouldn't even cover the celebration drinks. Pro can vary from sort of £250 to £1000 here on small shows. Not a lot tbh

AndrewTheAndroid likes this.
  15. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Just train and follow your coaches guidance. I would ask your coach if they think you should take at fight, at what level and when; then don't even bother thinking seriously about anything beyond that first fight. It's just wasted mental energy at best and fantasy at worst.

If you are grafting then trust your coaches judgement and follow the course.

Pretty In Pink and Dead_pool like this.
  16. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

If you're not fighting for this very reason then there's little point fighting at any level. The fight game isn't a big money sport unless you put 150% effort into becoming a professional fighter, marketing yourself, and fighting internationally on recognised shows. And to do that you just need to love and breath fighting.

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  17. icefield

icefield Valued Member

And even then they still have to do seminars, train other fighters, work as sparring partners to get buy. Only very very few get to actually make serious money, and then trainers cost, agents cost and so on

axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  18. Pretty In Pink

This. Unless you're really young and talented options are limited. Personally I'm just fighting so that when I open a gym people will know I have put it into practice.

axelb and Unreal Combat like this.
  19. Anwolf

Anwolf Valued Member

Not 100 pushups, 100 situps, 100 squats, and a 10km run every day? :D

axelb and AndrewTheAndroid like this.
  20. AndrewTheAndroid

Lol

Nothing. I'm not really concerned about the money, I'm just curious about it. I realize that I'll have to have a regular job to fund this. In Canada many of our Olympic athletes have to work 9 to 5s just to support themselves. Not that I'm expecting to become an Olympian.