Any ParkRunners here?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Johnno, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I've recently starting running every Saturday morning ay one of my local ParkRun events, and I wondered if any other MAPpers do the same.

For those not familiar with it, ParkRun organise 5k runs for people of all ages and abilities at parks all over the UK (and beyond) at 9 a.m. every saturday morning.

If you want to run regularly, and find it easier to stick to a regular routine when it's all laid on for you then I'd thoroughly recommend ParkRun.

2. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I did it once last year, but 9am on Saturdays is waaay too early for me, plus it's 4-5 mile cycle ride each way to the park. Maybe when it gets warmer I'll change my mind. I've 24:56 to beat, definately achieveable if I paced it right

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I get in relatively regular runs here in HK. My regular running partners leave a lot to be desired though (1 very tall diehard runner and 1 pro triathlete). We did a "short run" for Chinese New Year... it turned out to be 7K in 50 minutes and totaled out around 14.5k. Both asphalt and parts of the Hong Kong trail up and down Victoria peak to keep it interesting. Ugh... so much for short runs. Enjoyable though... there is something about running that is very meditative.

I'd say 5k runs are a good distance to get going. I think I enjoy the shorter runs of about that length with a very good clip. Especially if there is a place to stop and grab an espresso at the end of it and a bit of sunshine to sit in. Having others around while running can be good as well. :)

4. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I haven't run regularly for over three years, so I needed to ease myself back in gently!

I agree, 5k is a nice distance. The only drawback with the course I run is that it's extremely hilly, so it's reckoned to be a really tough one.

When the evenings start to get light again I'm going to start adding a midweek run as well. Probably somewhere a bit flatter.

5. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Yeah defo work up to it if you'e been off of it for a while. The moody 5k will be harder than the flat one for sure... nothing wrong with starting off flat and then working into it gently. It can be hard on the body if your recovery isn't managed right. I tend to hate downhills so I avoid them... I just can't see the advantage weighed against the wear and tear on my knees. I've not ever had any knee problems (touch wood) but at the same time I want to make sure I avoid anything that might lead to that. So deadlifts plus no downhill runs. :p