Any other MA's without gradings?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Rakim, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Rakim

Rakim Valued Member

Just wondering ppl, outside of Wing Chun, which other martial arts have no gradings? I'm interested in any that aint based around a weapon (no kendo etc). Thanks........

2. fugepilot

fugepilot New Member

Tai Chi Ch'uan, as far as I know.

3. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

There are gradings in WC, and Kendo :p

4. sliver

sliver Work In Progress

Lung Ying, Mok Gar, and most other kung fu styles that are taught in a more or less traditional manner. The whole belt thing is a recent invention.

5. Rakim

Rakim Valued Member

There are no gradings at my dojo, and I was using Kendo as an example of a weapon-based art, not an art without gradings, soz if I wasnt clear.

6. KSprenk

KSprenk be

In the Bujinkan there are belts but most places dont have formal gradings.

7. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

^^

What he says. In most kung-fu classes, students are told that they go by their own pace but of coure must be able to demonstrate some proficiency.

If we had belts in Pak Mei class I'll probably be the longest wearer of a White belt ever :D:D

8. notquitedead

notquitedead used to be Pankration90

Boxing, muay thai, freestyle wrestling, folkstyle wrestling, greco-roman wrestling, sombo (I read that in Russia they don't use belts, but many people in the US do), mma, etc...

9. Topher

Topher allo!

I dont think you can say for sure whether a whole styles belts or not. It may be different between country or even clubs. I hear there are belts in some kickboxing which is apparently quite unusual.

10. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

In Sumo... :D

11. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Several Filipino and Indonesian traditions. Persian martial arts if memory serves.

12. sliver

sliver Work In Progress

Intersting. I've never heard of persian MA. Do you happen to have any links to information on these? I'd love to see if there's much simularity to muslim CMA.

13. sliver

sliver Work In Progress

Some how I doubt that 'shroomie. :)

14. slamdunc

slamdunc Valued Member

Wing Chun gradings are not Dan ranks, they are Levels of Comprehension = Degrees. Sash colors are used, to denote class rank; F.Y.I.

15. Freeform

I was pointing out that your 2 specimen arts actually did have grading structures. The only 2 MA I can think of that don't have a ranking structure are Boxing and Wrestling.

16. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Muay Thai doesn't have a ranking system. Unless you count your fight record as such. :D

Word has it that there are some Muay Thai clubs that have started to add gradings of some sort. But this is more of a 'teaching' thing by the club rather than anything recognized by the Muay Thai community as whole.

If you studied at a club and then showed up at a comp or what not... they wouldn't know and wouldn't care what your grading was... purples belt, yellow sash... whatever... leave all that at the door and step into the ring. :D

17. Freeform

Nope, there exists a MT grading system too I'm afraid :( There's about 14 levels before being awarded Arjan. But like most WC schools ( :eek: did he just mention MT and WC in the same post! :eek: ) most people ignore it ;)

18. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Could you point me to a link where you got this info?

Out of all the gyms I've been to and the fighters I've trained with I never met one who had any kind of ranking other than there accomplishments in the ring.

Can you point out just what these 14 levels are and who is supposed to hand them out?

Are they in fact historically part of the art or are these 'rankings' something put in place by a particular sanctioning body?

What purpose do they serve in the sport? I've yet to ever see any match even mention rankings the likes of which you mention.

19. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Systema yet. I'm pretty sure there's no grading system in that.

20. Paul Genge

Paul Genge Banned Banned

You are correct we have no gradings. Vlad sometimes runs a certification test for new instructors, but the only belts we have hold up our trousers.

Paul Genge