Any info on Ferus Atrox?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by RexKwonDo Jones, Jan 25, 2013.

1. RexKwonDo Jones

RexKwonDo Jones Valued Member

Internet research into lethal forms of fighting led me to discover a style I've never heard of called "Ferus Atrox". Well, sorta. All I can find is three small web pages, all of which more or less paraphrase the same thing.

The deadliest form of fighting is considered to be "Ferus Atrox", which is Latin for

"Feral Terror" or "Wild Horror".
    The entire focus of Ferus Atrox (usually shortened to Ferrox) is rendering your assailant, or target's body completely useless.

This is achieved by either breaking or severing major nerves or arteries to the
    limbs, destroying the central nervous system, causing major bleeding, or
    restricting or completely denying the flow of air into and out of the body.

Ferrox includes clawing, limb breaking, gouging, ripping exposed flesh, biting of
    the throat and other significant areas of the body, and spinal severing.

Ferus Atrox is not taught as a practical art due to legal and moral issues.
    However, it is considered to be a part of human nature and present in the
    subconscious of the mind.

It sounds very brutal, and honestly my interest is more of an academic nature. I can't really see myself needing to bite someone's throat... Non the less, I am interested.

Does anyone on here know anything about this style? Where it originated? What "move set" it incorporates? Are there still living practicioners, or is it a dead style? ITS ALL SO MYSTERIOUS :confused:

I actually made a profile here specifically for the purpose of making this post, so any info whatsoever would be greatly appreciated!

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Seriously????? This is a worse pitch than "Comrhac Bas" being Roman Legionnaires!

3. Hannibal

In fact I will go one further - this is by far the biggest pile of steaming crap since "Aha-Set" ....even Ashida Kim would roll his eyes at this

Absolute tosh

4. RexKwonDo Jones

Hey, thanks for your help!!
    :topic::topic::topic::topic:

Seriously though, I see nothing funny. "Animal" fighting is common to many forms of martial arts throughout the world. It COULD be some nonsense from a video game for all I know, but if it has any historical context I'd like to be informed.

Please review the policy on masked profanity here at MAP. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2013
  5. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

I'm guessing you goggled "What is the deadliest form of fighting?" and found this link:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_deadliest_form_of_fighting

Forms, styles, methods don’t fight, its people that fight. No such thing as a deadliest form of fighting, unless you can include things like nuclear weapons. In human terms, or what you can do with your body, it all depends on the skill of the person fighting.

Just because some "form of fighting" seems brutal, it doesn’t not mean that whoever has learned it can use it, to use it you need to be skilled. Skill is attributes like timing, distance, perception, speed, strength etc. If you don’t have the right attributes/skills developed to a level appropriate to deal with your opponent, no amount of bighting or clawing or acting like any wild animal, consciously or subconsciously, will get you anywhere.

6. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Rex,

Assuming this is a genuine inquiry, there are several clues that "Ferrox" is nonsense. One, in this day and age, if you can only find three citations of it on the entire web, you've probably just found the three pages written by whomever invented it in the first place. Two, there is no "deadliest" martial art. Anyone claiming otherwise is trying to sell you theirs. Three, putting things on the web is easy. I'll be absolutely amazed if you manage to find any actual written, published information on Ferrox as a martial art.

At best, this is someone's pet project, to "design their own martial art." At worst, it's marketing designed to fuel the imagination of people looking for a secret weapon.

In either event, I don't think your academic interests will be served by Ferrox. Nor would any real martial interests, I'd guess.

7. Hannibal

It doesn't exist - it is made up garbage that doesn't even have a website up and running yet. Humanity has been feral fighting since we were hominids dragging our knuckles - there is no style that can teach what is instinctual.

This is just another example of the Internet being populated by idiots who make stuff up and then it takes on a life of its own.

Think about it logically - if it were secret, ancient and hidden then why would it be in Latin? Why would it not be sourced in any texts? Do you not think Suetonius may have got wind of it? Or Thucydides? Hell even Homer would suffice...but not one mention

It's a crock - stop wasting your time looking for it

8. RexKwonDo Jones

I was researching "lethal" styles in general. I realize that there is no vastly superior style. I did not type in "WHAT IS THE DEADLIEST FORM OF FIGHTING", I am not 14. I have practiced fighting my whole life, reading up on styles is something I enjoy doing in my spare time. This is just something I stumbled across, which piqued my interest. Not because I plan on acting like a feral animal in a fight, simply because the development of such a style intrigues me.

9. Hannibal

IT
    DOES
    NOT
    EXIST

Sorry to seem like I am banging on at you but you could only find three references on the web...that alone should be a clue

10. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Or perhaps the practitioners of Ferus Atrox are so deadly and stealthy that they go as far as misinforming the general public in order to keep it secret.... :yeleyes:

First rule of Ferus Atrox is don’t talk about.... :p

11. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Have to agree with what others have posted. It doesn't sound like anything real at all.

In addition it would be a death sentence to use an art like this on Zombies. Biting their necks?! You might as well give them a big french kiss. :) (Mod Notification... this is humor not an attack on the OP)

12. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

I'm not sure 'death sentence' is the correct term, there is still life after zombiehood, just not really the same... however by the sound of it, Ferus Atrox practitioners would make great zombies :)

13. RexKwonDo Jones

Hannibal, am I to understand that you have read every piece of latin literature in the world?
    You have made your stance on the matter sufficiently clear, further input is not required or requested.

Simply because something has a name in a certain language does not necessarily mean it was produced by said culture. Who even knows how old it is, again assuming the possibility of it being real. I do see the possibility of this being a poor attempt at advertisement, but regardless, the concepts outlined could very well be practical, if practiced in formal manner. Many forms of medieval European wrestling included limb ruining. If Ferrox itself is fictional, it certainly could be drawing inspiration from any number of real, practiced styles which are similar in nature.

14. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

Lol, thought this was going to be about some pre-workout drink like assault or something.
    :)

15. Hannibal

Ill input all i want to - your wishes on this are irrelevant.

Have i read all of them? Of course not - but I have read pretty much every Ancient Roman and Greek history from the above listed to Plutarch to every other one. You are also (conveniently) missing the entire point. Even taking into account impersonally haven't read them all, others have - and nowhere is there a record

Nothing in Celtic literature, Indian, African or anything else either. No heroes using this style in myth - and they will use magic for flips sake!

You seem unwilling or unable to grasp the fact that there is no such art or style

Occam's razor is your friend - use it

16. RexKwonDo Jones

You're killing me. AS I SAID, I definitely see the DISTINCT possibility of this being a FALSEHOOD. Most likely so, even. It merely interested me. I didn't mean to get in a back and forth with you, but your own overtly aggressive, unhelpful insistence on the matter is not warranted. This is my first post on the website for crying out loud!!

Might I suggest that in the future you use your clearly very extensive knowledge of historical fighting styles to simply redirect one such as myself to something similar? As in "Hey, I don't know about (that stuff), but if you're interested in such concepts try looking into (these things)".

17. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

RexKwonDo,

Hannibal is free to contribute as much as he wishes to this thread, provided he stays within the terms of service. You have opened the question up for public consumption. That's the way a discussion forum operates.

You seem very resistant to the idea that this style is made up. Can I ask why? It seems the most obvious explanation. And, your interest being academic, I'd have anticipated that you'd see it as such. But you seem somewhat determined to believe it's real. That's more investment than I'd expect from just general curiosity.

EDIT: Nevermind. You posted again while I was typing.

18. RexKwonDo Jones

And if this ultimately just a waste of space, then my sincere apologies.

19. Hannibal

Try "kina mutai" - I am trained in that and it more than fits the bill

20. RexKwonDo Jones

Oweyn,

I am not resistant to the idea of it being fake. However, I am interested in the general concepts, fictional or otherwise. I had hoped to provoke thoughtful discussion, but it seems that is not to be found.