Any Hunters?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Ranzan, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

Have never really seen anything on the forums regarding hunting, soo decided to ask if anyone is an avid hunter? This month I am going spear hunting for wild boar, should be an interesting trip. No dogs, just three guys with spears.

2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Sounds kinda cool. Never done it myself but its something I'd like to do one day for the experiance

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I don't think I'd do well in hunting since I always root for the animal. I find hoping for a bloody death to be in conflict with my survival instincts.

4. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

I can see how that would cause a problem.

5. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I personally don't believe in hunting anything that can't fight back (like hunting bear with a knife) but up here in Wisconsin they are a sick bunch. They hunt anything that moves, they practically shut down for deer season. In one week last year they took over 135,000 white tailed deer....They shoot wolves, deer, doves, in one county you can shoot stray cats for sport, critters of all kinds.....

6. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

I like Hunting, not sitting in a tree with a salt lick, or with bear bait that is boring and stupid. Spear hunt is best hunting, nice up close and personal with big animals.

7. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

And boars are extremely invasive species around here cause a lot of havoc in fields especially is Louisiana. They tear rice fields up.

8. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Boars with spears?Well,that's not quite hunting bear with a knife but it's closer than I want to get to that experience.Boars can be downright hazardous to one's health.

You Tennesseeans!

Own any big hounds? Always had a penchant for Redbones,myself.

9. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

I do, my giant German shepherd, but i'm not bringing him. He has yet to go boar hunting and I don't want to put him at that much of a risk just yet he is still young and growing at 90lbs.

10. liokault

liokault Banned Banned

Are we talking imported European boars?

11. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I've hunted a few times, wouldn't call myself avid but I did enjoy it. Still a beginner in that area. Just deer and turkey so far.

I've also "hunted" with my father in law whose idea of hunting is sitting on his back porch with a .30-06 and a case of beer in front of him. When your nearest neighbors are miles down the road, you can hunt 365 days a year.

12. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

Yea Mixed breed of the Eastern European boar and the typical american wild boar. All over the place now.

13. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

The guys that I know that hunt wild pig/boar don't use anything like a german shepard to run them down. The dogs are more like bull terriers and the breeds like that. Stout build with blunt faces that can bite and hang on. Low squat builds with strong necks.

What is your strategy for running the boars down? As a human... lol... forget about trying to run anything like that down on foot. Far to fast and agile for humans to run down. I can't imagine you're going to want to move in on a ****ed off or hurt boar with just a spear and no dog as an anchor point.

Will be interested to see how this goes. :p

14. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

Another reason I am not using shepherd. Only used dogs couple times boar hunting and it bores me. Pits and rodeshian (spelling?) Ridgebacks are great boar dogs.

General plan, during day time in wooded areas just look for boars, once spotted slowly make your way to them throw smaller spear at one follow injured boar use the larger heavier spear to finish em off. Good old fashion way, has worked in the past pretty well. Boar charges you, stab and pin.
    During the night in rice fields make pig noises and follow them until you get close enough to spear and pin. I always have side arm on me just in case things get harry, never had to use it though.

15. Aloysius

Aloysius Valued Member

Can't quite get my head around this statement. I've never hunted bear, never would. But the idea of hunting a bear, with a knife sounds slightly stupid. Surely the bear would be extremely able to fight back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sankebetsu_brown_bear_incident

16. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

I think that's the point.Final score= Bear-1 Hunter-0

17. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Hunting bear with a knife is like trying to wrestle bison... never going to work out that well is it? :p

18. lord-humungous

lord-humungous Valued Member

You guys are crazy. I like to hunt Canada Geese (mmm tasty free range organic meat - very lean too). I just inherited a property in Northern Ontario and hope to get an adult moose tag up there eventually. I may tag along on a deer hunt this fall locally, the white tail population is out of control here. Black Bear is out of control in Ontario too, we cancelled the spring bear hunt a number of years ago and the population has exploded.

For any anti hunters that read this, please realize that hunters are largely responsible for wildlife conservation (this is what permit fees are used for). Also, harversting an animal that has lived a free life in the wild is much more humane than eating steriod meat from a chicken farm. Also, real hunters don't waste anything, they honour the animal harvested by eating it's meat and even sometimes keeping it's hide.

19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I think Fedor and Aleks do/have done bear hunting with a knife. You need a big forked stick to wedge under the bear's chin as he ponces and then you stab him in the chest.
    That's the theory anyway.

Personally I can't understand the mentality that finds it enjoyable to kill something for any reason other than necessity or food.
    That's just alien to me.

20. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Hah...re-read that...and there's an amusing typo. I've left it in for posterity.
    Who knows what bears get up to in the woods eh?