Any horsemen out there?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Stolenbjorn, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

Hello, just wondering; my wife have decided to buy a horse, and we take riding-lessons with instructor and everything:hat:

As a WMA'er and medieval wrestler, I find it fassinating how you can manipulate an animal 10 times your strength into doing things, it's all hip-movement and subtle thingies, and it's very interresting as an instructor to see how the instructor can stand 10 meters away in the dusk, telling me excactly why the horse took one step to the left -even when I don't understand it myself!

-So anybody else out there that does both "Horse" and "MA"?

(I have a little dream of beeing able to do jousting eventually, but I think that's at least 2 years ahead:) )

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

no but i'd like to, in the future (i've ridden a little a fair few years ago while visiting family at a semi-rural area, and while i never figured out how to control the horse, it was certainly interesting).

btw get your ass (er, horse) to oslo so i can knock you off it with a flying side kick :p

3. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Yep!

Although it was a long time ago that I did it on a regular basis, I rode for almost ten years.

I do get the chance to get back in the saddle every now and then.

Edit: What you looking at getting?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  4. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Did it when I was younger a couple times and always found it a pretty beautiful thing to watch actually when you really look a what it is. Like you said you're manipulating an animal and a lovely one at that.

5. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I rode a lot as a teenager but then it got too expensive and I had to quit. I look after a friend's Irish Draught mare occasionally. I fully intend on getting back to riding as soon as money allows and would love to combine it with MA. There is a place that does jousting weekends (for fun) that I've promised to treat myself to at some point.

6. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

"Dangerous at both ends and uncomfortable in the middle."

7. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

If you go-a-joustin', there WILL need to be some YouTube video (the armor should conceal your identity quite handily). :cool:

8. Frodocious

I'll do my best to provide visual evidence if it happens! :)

9. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

Yes, I rode every summer for about ten years too. Last time i rode was on my birthday this year. :)

Ahem. I'm a horse woman. :)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  10. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

And yet you couldn't talk your wife out of buying a horse. :bang:

Bwahhahahah! Yea I know!

Anyway like others I road a little as a youth, I know a couple of Kuk Sool Won Masters who ride a lot and actually sword spar and do archery on horse back. I had a lengthy conversation with them on the finer points of using weapons on horse back, the trick is to get the animal use to the weapons. They did this by holding the horses and using the weapons near them first. Good Luck! :cool:

11. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

[​IMG]

:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle:

12. Frodocious

You have to get them use to seeing the weapons swinging out of the sides of their eyes and around their faces in particular, otherwise they'll spook - it's an inbuilt reaction to a possible predator creeping up behind them.

13. Stolenbjorn

Well, it's my wife's descition, and we're buying an iceland-horse, 5 years old, that likes swords, lances and things like that. I know it's not the warhorse from medieval movies, but then again the shire, friser and other big horses aren't either.

Do you think horseriding have done anything to your ma-performance, like balance, etc?

Here's the goal: (jump to 55 sec, if you want to skip the svada) [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqFON2tfq6k"]Merlin, A Fantastic Horse - YouTube[/ame] -not the killing a bull-bit but the level of control... It's when you see riders like this, you understand how myths conserning super-hero-knights-ruling the battlefield emerges; I believe that the portugeese bullfighting on horseback is a sport that have preserved the best of knight-cavallery-skills. Acording to people that have read more about knights and riding than I, the riding-skill-level on a knight-warrior could vary greatly, there are mentionings of battles where knights haven't been able to get their horse in to battle at all, and then you have battles-like Hastings where horsemanship must have been rather good.

14. Stolenbjorn

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0Kf7a1GFEo&feature=related"]Frilansene på OMF 2009 - YouTube[/ame]

(just show up at the ruins in oslo east in around st.hans in late june, and we'll talk :cool: )

15. Stolenbjorn

Well, I got to buy a tent :rolleyes:

Yep, I'm a member of "Frilansene", a group that does jousting both for sport and for show, and they generally sais that it's easier to search out the horses that enjoys fighting, than trying to train a horse to not be jumpy around armor and weapons.

Yesterday, I had an interresting session, learning to ride slalom between buckets, and doing 90* turns :D

16. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Well that will come in handy when the horse eats you out of house and home.:p

That slalom must be a bit exciting at first, yes? I'd be a bit nervous. :cool:

17. Frodocious

It showed me how not to land on my head when falling from height! :)

18. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

My wife and I have gone horseback riding several times throughout the years. We live in the city so it's a bit hard for us to own our own horse, but it's something we really enjoy. I always feel "something" when I ride, as if I'm closer to my roots. Though I'm a mutt, a lot of my European relatives are excellent riders and have their own horses. Lots of fun in my book, and something I definitely wish I could do more of.

19. Stolenbjorn

It certainly gives you fast response on wether you master the use of stirrups, reins and bottom correctly :jester: