Any good suggestion exercise to improve the fight sense at home workout?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by tkbeaty, Aug 13, 2022.

1. tkbeaty

tkbeaty New Member

Hi guys.
    Because of the covid-19 lock down at my city, I cannot go the gym for a long time. Just set up the heavybag and weights and start home workout at the garage. Everything is fine, but sparring cannot be replaced. Any good suggestion exercise to improve the fight sense at home workout?
    Thx.
    P.S. I just made a boxing timer video for my home workout. Share with u guys.

12 rounds x 3 mins with music

12 rounds x 3 mins without music

2. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

grappling dummy
    shadow work
    speedball

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

The best thing you can do, and this goes for whatever art you study, is to create a mental / visual opponent.

It can be your instructor, Brock Lesner, one of the Gracie brothers, or even yourself.

A coach will often say, "Picture someone throwing a jab at you" and you sort of create an image of what that's like, but if you are really invested in the moment and picture a competition, the fight outside a club, or even just a good sparring session against your visual opponent you'll vastly improve.

Remember as you improve your visual opponent must improve.

In addition to the above ask yourself, "How would I beat me?"

This will tell you what areas you need to improve on. Maybe picture your imaginary opponent exploiting those weak areas.

You have a heavy bag, but do you treat it as such, or do you picture it as a live opponent. The heavy bag can make you lazy and slow you down. It's easy to plant yourself and throw the heavy bombs.

Picture the opponent and theme the rounds.

Round 1. Move in and out of range with the jab.

Round 2. As above, but let the rear cross go.

Round 3. Slip, or parry a shot before your attack.

Round 4. Add the lead or rear hook. Angle off on completion.

Round 5. Add elbows or kicks and so on.

There is much you can do, it just needs visualisation. It's a powerful tool.

cloudz, Dan93 and Mitch like this.
  4. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

good post, good point
    I treat/ approach my heavy bag these days as if I'm shadow boxing
    my motivation was primarily that it's a better use of the time.