any good martial arts in Glasgow Scotland uk?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by syfer, Nov 2, 2015.

1. syfer

syfer New Member

Hi everyone i want to find any good martial arts in Glasgow Scotland uk?
    I did kuk sool won for 3 years then left but the school i was at shut down i am thinking of trying another martial arts so does any one know of any good martial arts schools in Glasgow that good?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

The Griphouse is some of the best in Scotland.

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

There used to be Dog Brothers in Edingorough, though I don't know if that still runs?

Mitch

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Definitely the griphouse.

Muay Thai, Wrestling Jujitsu and MMA, all with proven experts.

5. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

Mitch likes this.
  6. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

I think it stills run but in the grip house

The grip house is probably the best bet for anything.

7. Auchie

Auchie New Member

Hi,

This is my first post, and I thought I'd resurrect this old thread rather than create a new one. I am a 40 year old man looking for something a little more traditional as a hobby, fitness and self-defence. I have little martial art's experience besides aikido, which I didn't take to. I am limited to Glasgow.

I have found a kickboxing school which is derived from Lau Gar, and also a traditional karate school (Kyokushin) which looks like it might be a bit much for me, as it consists of knuckle push-ups and breaking boards.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

axelb and Pretty In Pink like this.
  8. Pretty In Pink

Welcome man! You're totally within your rights to make a new thread if you like!

Firstly help us define what you think of as "traditional". Secondly, regardless of the martial art, there will be aspects of it that are difficult, sore and tiring. Comes with the territory. I do understand though that you want to build up to that stuff and any instructor worth there salt will do so appropriately.

Auchie likes this.
  9. Mitch

Like PiP says, dont worry about things like knuckle push ups, any good instructor will build you up to anything they do in class. Kyokoshin is a great art with lots of the characteristics people think of as traditional.

There is a lot of good quality Taekwondo round Glasgow too, you can check a map with contact details at www.tagb.biz. TKD might give you the "traditional" aspects you want too. The Scottish Instructors I know are top notch and running quality clubs.

Auchie likes this.
  10. Dead_pool

Brazilian Jiu-jitsu at the grip house would be right up your street, you wear a Gi, and it's older then most of the TMA taught in the UK.

As someone from a Japanese TMA background, a lot of BJJ is very familiar!

Auchie likes this.
  11. Auchie

Auchie New Member

Thanks for the welcome!

Now you've asked me, I'm finding it difficult to define what I mean by traditional. I suppose an art that includes kata/forms, that is graded to mark progress and has a particular etiquette. I quite like the idea of obtaining the coveted black belt, which I suppose sounds childish, but it's an achievement.

I did think about Taekwondo, actually. However my research led me to believe it's ninety percent kicking, and perhaps not something I could do aged 60. Likewise, Kyokushin also looks like something I might struggle with - otherwise I thought the club in Glasgow looked very professional and traditional.

I have heard a lot about BJJ, but a colleague told me it's almost exclusively ground fighting and not practical for self-defence in the event that one gets attacked by more than one person. Is that not true?

12. Dead_pool

They have classes in BJJ/groundwork, takedowns/wrestling, striking and HEMA weapons.

If your in a situation where striking, clinching, takedowns, fighting and weapons don't work, then you can fall back on the exceptional fitness you'll develop and run away first!

Auchie likes this.
  13. Mitch

How old are you Auchie, 40 or 60?

Auchie likes this.
  14. Pretty In Pink

Kata based martial arts and wearing a gi is definitely what most people would consider traditional. Figured you'd probably say something like that. Which is absolutely fine! However you've also stated self defence as a preference.

I'll start off simply. Firstly, do what you are REALLY going to enjoy. If you find pleasure in Yellow Bamboo or learning to manage your chi or something like that then there are lots of places that offer it. However if you are interested in "self defence" I recommend a good book such as Geoff Thompsons stuff and also a solid foundation in learning to fight.

BJJ is great for fighting as is Muay Thai (and it is 2000 years old). It's a good art that focuses on neutralising an opponent by taking them down and holding them, choking them, or breaking their limbs. Sounds really cool but the learning curve is steep in the beginning and it is constantly pressure tested. Meaning everything can be done consistently against a resisting opponent. I'm biased of course, as I have a founding in BJJ but it works for me.

Monkey_Magic, Dead_pool and Auchie like this.
  15. Auchie

Auchie New Member

Haha! It sounds good, I'll take a look at their website. Many thanks.

Point taken. I've just let myself go a bit over the years! The fact that I have turned forty has made me realise life's passing me by and I want to do something with my life, as well as get fit, but if I devote myself to something I'd like to be able to practice it for years and years. Thanks for replying.

Thanks, PIP. Aye, I'd ideally like to be able to defend myself - the 'martial' bit is definitely important, otherwise I may as well do yoga. You're the second person to suggest Muay Thai, and Glasgow has an abundance of clubs which indicates it's a good street fighting art! It's not what I had in mind, but I will take a look.

Dead_pool likes this.
  16. Mitch

Sorry, you mentioned 60 but I misunderstood.

I'm 51 and actively training and teaching TKD, at 40 you'll have no problem at all!

Try lots of different places and find the one that feels right. No point deciding on a particular art then finding you hate the atmosphere of the club and think the Instructor is a lunatic :D

axelb and Auchie like this.
  17. Auchie

Auchie New Member

Thanks for your reply. I'll check out my local dojos.