Any Dog Owners? Looking for advice on breeds...

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by progdan, Jul 21, 2009.

1. progdan

progdan Valued Member

We have a family dog, a Shetland Sheepdog who is a fantastic pet, but she's getting old, and I'm considering getting a dog of my own. I'd like one which I can take jogging regularly, and will basically help keep me fit, so something quite active, is intelligent, good with other people but not incapable of taking care of itself or others. Low on grooming and on the larger side, though not massive... Any advice from anyone with similar requirements would be appreciated... :)

2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Border Collie. Loads of energy and bright as a button. Male one.

Don't tend to have so many inbred complaints a they are/were working dogs and the kennel club hasn't wrecked them.

Attached Files:

3. progdan

progdan Valued Member

Cheers mate, a Border Collie is in fact on my 'short-list' of possibilities, my only concern would be how it'd cope during the day when I'm at work. I'm willing to take it for a long walk/jog in the morning and evening, and I've got a fairly large yard, would it likely keep itself amused without getting up to mischief during the day? I'd be looking at a male dog certainly.

Another breed I'm considering would be a Labrador Retriever, anyone had any experience with those?

4. Moi

First 6 month it'll be a pain. (In-laws have had their second for a couple of months now) Digging, chewing etc: Then they calm down. Very clever dogs, my in-laws one can already open doors.

5. progdan

progdan Valued Member

That doesn't sound too bad, might be able to work around it, maybe take my holidays when I first get it to be able to spend time with it through the day for the first couple of weeks that it's old enough to be outside at least. And we've got high fences and doesn't matter if it digs, nothing too precious around...

6. Moi

Just give it load to play with. Think creatively, it will need lots of stimulation to keep it's mind busy or it'll start building a ladder or something. Tunnels, see-saws, they don't have to be great permanent masterpieces.

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Labrador's are a pretty good choice. Preferably a working strain as the show types tend to be much more stocky and less physically active.

Now here's my own personal take on it...go down the local RSPCA (or whatever you have in Oz) and find a nice young dog in need of a home. You'll have a good idea what they'll be like as an adult (as they will mostly be 8 months - 3 years old) and won't have to go through puppy process. You won't be able to jog with a puppy until it is AT LEAST a year old. Before then they are too immature and can actually be damaged by extended exercise. With an older dog you can get into jogging after a few weeks of prep work (long walks, getting them used to jogging...it's a learnt skill for a dog).
    I've owned pedigree Boxer's for the last 8 years and will never buy one again. They are far to crippled with conditions and weakness (bad digestion, allergies, heart conditions etc). They are brilliant dogs, happy, active and full of fun but having to take them to the vets every couple of months really takes the shine off of owning them.
    I've also been volunteering at my local RSPCA for the last few months and they have some fantastic dogs available (mostly Staffies and Greyhounds sadly). Next time we get a dog it will be a young animal from the RSPCA.

I've also jogged a fair bit with my dogs and so I've some good advice for running with dogs if you want some advice on that front. It's not as simple as running round the route you'd usually walk with them.

8. progdan

progdan Valued Member

We have an Animal Welfare League, and yes, that would certainly be an option I'd consider.

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Sod it I've been meaning to write this stuff down anyway...

Running with your dog.

The first thing to do is have your dog checked over by a vet to make sure it's up to running any distance. If it's old, too young, ill, unfit, overweight or whatever then you may need to accept you'll have to jog on your own or do some prep work with your dog to get it up to scratch (a few months of walking, change of diet perhaps).
    Bear the breed/build of your dog in mind. If you have an English Bulldog you aren't going to be cranking out a 6 mile run with it. Same goes for if you own a greyhound. Some dogs are built for long paced distance running and some aren't. If in doubt ask the vet.
    Never run in the middle of the day. Dogs handle cold far better than heat and so make your runs early morning or late evening. This is especially true in the summer and/or if you live in a hot climate (like Australia).
    Forget the idea that this is "exercise". Treat it as way of reinforcing the leadership bond between you and your dog. As a way of using energy in a shared activity. If you are preparing for a marathon then leave your dog at home as you won't be able to concentrate on your prgression. The exercise part should be a bonus not the sole aim.
    I recommend some important pieces of kit. A runners waist belt (with pockets for your mobile, keys, poo-bags and room for a water bottle). Add to that a collapsible fabric water bowl (they are made of the tight nylon like tent material...not water tight but enough to hold water long enough to drink from). A harness (so they can breath freely) and flexi-lead. I recommend keeping your dog on a flexi lead for the run. Dogs tend to get excited, run about, chase stuff, investigate smells etc. Not the sort of behaviour you want on a controlled run. This will also knacker your dog out before you've even started.
    What you're trying to create is a controlled pace partnership where your dog takes the role of "follower". Having them on a flexi lead helps with that. Regular leads tend to flap about and interfere with your running action. If your dog is very good at heeling then you might not need the lead.
    Getting this level of cooperation will take time so prepare for your first few runs to be about learning to run with your dog rather than any distance or time (dogs tend to get under your feet the first few times).
    Once you know your dog adopts a nice even pace that suits you both and slots in right next to you (or slightly behind) then you're ready to have a proper run. My Boxer trots (not runs) next to me while I jog (not run) at a fairly measured pace (we finish up with a sprint session and play about at the end but on the run itself I expect the dog to get into a working mode and settle down). Don't let your dog lead you. Think of it as the pack leader (you) taking a quick tour of his territory...the pack (your dog) have to stay in line, pay attention and match his pace.
    Before any run, walk with your dog for at least 10 minutes. This will serve as a warm up for both of you and also give your dog time to empty his bladder and bowels. Nothing messes up the flow of a good run like a dog stopping mid-way round for a dump (and if you run in an urban environment make sure you pick up after your dog...dog-cack is dog-cack no matter how fast you can get away from it without anyone noticing).
    Like any activity start gently and build up. Dogs tend to adapt to running better than humans (it's what they are evolved to do afterall) but even they need a degree of progression. I stress again humans deal with heat better than dogs so keep your dogs welfare in mind rather than your own goals.
    If your dog is only used to a trip round the block a couple of times a day, a five mile run will make him ache just as much as it does humans.
    After your run finish with another 5-10 minute walk, praise your dog for a job well done (even if he's been an ****). Let him off the lead and play a game with him (I do sprints and my dog loves chasing me round the park with squeeky toy in mouth).
    Give your dog a drink at the end. Dogs don't sweat and so lose heat through their mouths. Drinking will cool him down. If needed squirt some water on his chest and back.
    Make sure you leave at least an hour before the run without feeding. This is very important as running on a full stomach can cause "bloat" (a potentially fatal stomach torsion), particularly in deep chested breeds.
    That's about it. If you want to run to get fit then running with your dog is not a very productive way of doing it. If you want to supplement your fitness, bond with your dog, reinforce leadership, keep your dog happy and healthy and burn of some excess doggy energy that can become destructive if not given an outlet then a run with fido is ideal.

10. progdan

progdan Valued Member

^ Thanks mate, great post! :D

11. Spinmaster

Spinmaster Valued Member

Golden Retrievers are usually intelligent and good-natured, not to mention really really cute! :)
    Something you might look into is adopting a dog from an animal shelter, this can save a dog's life, because if the dogs don't get adopted, eventually they will be put down.

12. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I'm partial to Rotties... but depending on where you get them from there are most defo breeding issues. The hips go young in many of them. That is a troubling thought.

The one I have at the moment is a two year old female and she's about 110lbs. She's lovely. Great temperment and still thinks she's a puppy. The females are less aggressive than males... but raised ritght a male can be had as a pet as well. But you do always... ALWAYS have to watch her around kids. I don't car what anyone says... she's a big dog that would be very very hard to stop if she flipped her switch. Her natural instinct would make her very dangerous around small kids unwatched. I don't care what anyone says. She's built to pull and has four on the floor... Even I have a hard time slowing her down on the choke chain. But jeez she's great.... just be forewarned!! Don't wear flip flops around big dogs they will eat them and every other shoe or other item left around. Yes she will chew through anything. Concrete... lol.

Ok on second thought... I don't recommend you get a Rottie. :p

13. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

I have a 2 year old Labrador ....great dog ....

walks every day ..and she will run alongside if I am cycling ..

Bias viewpoint ..go for a Lab

Smurf

14. progdan

progdan Valued Member

My Uncle had a rottie for years, he was a lovely dog, but yeah not for me...

I think I've narrowed it down to a Border Collie, now just a matter of deciding male or female (Personally I'm leaning towards a male, but mum is concerned a male might harrass our current Sheltie female) and whether to get a puppy, or just outside the puppy stage, say just under a year old...

15. Moi

Get him done:rolleyes::evil:

16. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

I'd recommend a labrador. I used to have a collie cross labrador when i was a child, and they're full of energy and enthusiasm. One of those would love to go running with you. Mind you, I'm ideologically in favour of mongrels. Big ones.

17. progdan

progdan Valued Member

haha, for sure...

Provided that indeed does take place before 6 months of age, apparently it should be fine... :cool:

18. Burnsey

Burnsey Armchair liberal

As the owner of a highly inbred pedigree I would have to agree with you.

19. DCombatives

DCombatives Valued Member

If you're not a fan of the Rotty's, then you won't like my recomendation either. However, in your place I would do exactly what I did; get a Cane Corso. The breed is large and athletic, intelligent, easily trained, and great with a family. The downside is if you're not familiar with how to deal with a naturally dominant breed, you'll have a hard time convincing him/her that you're in charge. But if you want a loyal, protective, and obediant dog you can't beat a corso.

http://www.canecorso.org/

20. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Cane Corso's are brilliant dogs.
    I'll seriously look into getting one when my Boxer's finally sucumb to their ailments.
    A real example of what a working bull breed/mastiff should be like.