Any Decent Fighting/Martial Art Shows/Dvds??

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Upgraded, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Upgraded

Upgraded Valued Member

Hey

I am very interested in seeing some decent fighting footage, the only issue is every time I watch say UFC or any of those It's always just big muscley guys wrestling on the ground trying to choke someone.

Are there any decent fighting Shows out there availible for DVD? Not Movies but actuall tournaments and what not, Punches, Kicks, all that kind of thing, without the whole gay love wrestling bit taking up 99% of the fight?

I heard Chuck Norris had a martial arts tournament show in America, It was never released here in Australia but was that any good? Is it worth buying if its availible?

The Type of fighting I'd love to see is Kungfu vs Karate, TKD vs Boxing, that kind of thing, all styles!

Thanks

2. Sever

Sever Valued Member

Look into getting some K-1 or K-1 Max (Max is the lighter weight fighters) DVDs. Unfortunately for you, the guys are all still muscley, but it's exclusively standup fighting rather than MMA

3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

better off looking at the really early UFCs, particularly 1-5. I think there is a DVD of full contact karate in Japan but unsure...

4. Upgraded

Upgraded Valued Member

Had a little look at K1, however I was pretty turned off by a match between a 300 pound fat guy and a small black guy boxing. Mabye it was just a one off battle.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=u4u51SNxF_0

5. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

I think K1 seems to be your best bet. If you ignore the novelty matches, there seems to be some good fighters.

About the best full contact MA footage I've seen has been from Daido Juku/Kudo matches where they fight using karate and judo techniques. I don't think you can get DVDs of it though - not at the moment anyway - but youtube has some good vids. It's more like "classical martial arts" but performed with full speed and power.

6. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Actually the 'small' black guy Bob Sapp is the 300lber (close to 400 aint he? i dunno know no more)

It was one of those freakshow matches. Japanese under-dog culture, like to pit people who are waaay over opposite spectrums and see what happens.

7. Liam Cullen

Liam Cullen Valued Member

wow, it's really not everyday that you see a fight in which Bob Sapp looks like the little guy!

8. shootodog

shootodog restless native

k1 heros/ romanex? how about pancrase or grabana? adcc? professional shooto?

9. Midnight Mist

Midnight Mist Valued Member

"I heard Chuck Norris had a martial arts tournament show in America, It was never released here in Australia but was that any good? Is it worth buying if its availible?"

That's the World Combat League.

They show it on the "Versus" channel here in the US. They have pretty good fights. It's kickboxing with knees, except they wear pants.

They don't have tapes on their website yet, but they may in the future.

http://www.worldcombatleague.com/

Last edited: Jan 1, 2007
  10. Patrick_baji

Patrick_baji Valued Member

ok in response to your gay love wrestling comment I reckon you're an idiot. but if all you want to do is watch striking without grappling then yes try something like K-1. But I notice you do a style of karate which probably doesn't have much modern day grappling in it - so yeah try your luck buddy versing a wrestler/mma fighter and see what happens.

11. Patrick_baji

ahh no that's probably bob sapp (300lber) vs ernesto hoost.....

12. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

He didn't say he wants to fight anyone, he said he doesn't like watching grappling.

13. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

The best way to find a sore spot is to prod it with a big stick

14. Patrick_baji

no need to call it gay wrestling then.

15. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

He also suggested that wrestling is, by definition, gay. And while there's nothing whatsoever wrong with being gay, I don't suppose for one moment that Upgraded meant that comment as a sign of respectful acceptance.

Hate to be contrary, but I thought his comment was out of line too.

Stuart

16. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

The OP is an idiot, for a) saying wrestling is gay and b) calling Bob Sapp small

but aside from that you are looking for K-1.

17. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

Or maybe his idea of affection is having someone try to tear your arm off, or drop 'bows on your head 'til it looks like you tried to shave with a lawn-mower?

(Statements like that make me wonder, though, if I'm the only person on Earth who keeps sex and violence separate.)

Anyways...

To the OP: you might want to check out the Shidokan Open: http://www.shidokan.com/equipment.htm (look down at "Misc"; order by phone)

They start off with a few rounds of full-contact, bareknuckle karate, move on to kickboxing in later rounds, and if the match is still going have "submission fighting". Sorry, more sweaty guys making love to each other via strangleholds and joint hyperextentions. Anyways, I remember seeing some contests in the 90's where some of the competitors came from Wing Chun, Judo, or Tae Kwon Do as opposed to Karate. I also believe that back in the '90's, it was primarily bareknuckle karate, so earlier tapes might have what you're looking for.

There's also San Shou/San Da:
    http://www.sanshou.com/ (check under "videos")

Kicks, punches and throws are allowed, and it's on a platform instead of in a ring or cage.

I've searched, but it's honestly difficult finding "mixed styles" fighting tournaments outside of early MMA stuff. And of that, most of it still went to the ground.

Anyways, there's always Google or Youtube; you're liable to find more stuff on there as people like posting how well they got beaten up at the local tournament!

18. Yuske Urameshi

Yuske Urameshi Valued Member

You know, a couple months ago, I frowned upon ground-fighting.

But trust me, once you see how often it's used, see the hardships of the art, and officially dominate someone with it, it will grow on you too.

All martial arts are wonderfull. Remember that.

-Yusuke

19. Patrick_baji

yeah i was the same as that as well but then when my bjj friends introduced me to things like UFC i realised how important it was too.

20. Lee Waters

Lee Waters Valued Member

The New Gladiators by Elvis & Parker

Parkers 1974 US international Karate team.

http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=286

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4XlcFA1VJA&mode=related&search="]new Gladiators#1 - YouTube[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuOWzhcRh48&mode=related&search="]New Gladiators #2 - YouTube[/ame]

Not Bad!

L.W.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2007