Any competing Boxers here???

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by binski20, Nov 20, 2002.

1. binski20

binski20 Valued Member

I am working towards competition this spring (hopefully if surgery allows) and was wondering if we have any active or former competitive boxers here????

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Nope - too old, too many inuries. I would never get a licence :(

3. binski20

binski20 Valued Member

I am hoping all goes well with this surgery I am waiting for, shouldn't be a problem though.

4. YODA

what are you having done?

5. binski20

binski20 Valued Member

I have a growth inside my spine. Causes some pain by pushing on the spinal cord. In the right situations, it can be knee buckling pain, though I have learnt to deal with it quite well and through stretching and some careful movement have minimzed it.
    No permanent or any other damage, just needs to be removed.
    Waiting to see a nuerosurgeon about it.

6. YODA

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Hope it goes well!

7. binski20

binski20 Valued Member

It should. My regular doc said as far as back surgeries go, he would compare it with getting your tonsils taken out. Not quite that easy, but along those lines. They'd just open it up, scrape it out and be done.
    It is also in my lower back, which is the same spot where I was affected by spina bifida when I was born. This area was surgically closed, so they just have to reopen that same part. That's my understanding of it.
    Either way, I get along fine now and theres no risk.
    Still shooting for the spring even if I haven't had the surgery yet.

8. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Good luck binski! :)

Colin

9. binski20

binski20 Valued Member

Thanks man

10. Nubreed

Nubreed Banned Banned

practice your basics

I have competed for many years 1976 to 1981 in boxing, five time Golden Glove Champion 1981-1987 in Kickboxing, PKA Regional Champion. The only thing I can tell you is, you must work on conditioning, you have to be in top physical condition to get into the ring and be successful. I've seen many guy's with excellent technique in Boxing but run out of gas, and get beat. Work at offense as well as defense, and cornering, how to work off the corner and off the ropes. Road work, Road work and more road work! and get in the ring and spar! There is much that a four ring warrior much do to win! Good luck to you!

Nubreed Martial Arts System
    http://communities.msn.com/Nubreedmartialarts

11. BangkokBabay

BangkokBabay New Member

HI Binski20!

I was a competitive boxer in the past, and I still box, but I really train Muay Thai! Good Luck with surgery!!!!!!!!! Take your time getting back in the ring, listen to your doctors and your own common sense! In the past I have surgery that had me in physical therapy 3x a week for one year! Boxing is not going anywhere, and conditioning takes time and you want to do it right! I would really like to hear about it goes for you and good luck.

12. blessed_samurai

blessed_samurai Valued Member

I am a former competitive boxer. I only competed for about four years before I moved to another state and faded out for a number of years until I returned to martial arts.

See, we all return eventually.

There was some good advice given and man, my biggest advice is endurance and being able to take a punch. Stay off the ropes, keep your hands up, and train...train...train.

13. Gouki Long

Gouki Long New Member

help

i would box but my mums wont let me. she thinks im gonna get brain damage or parkinsons or something. im 5' 10" ( i dont know if that info helps with anything) and i was wondering if someone could pose a reasonable argument so that my mother will allow me to box, especially, from what i see, it is great self defense and keeps you in great condition. i also do tae kwon doe

14. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

I think goos advice would be train how you fight.

Instead of going out for a 40min jog/run, do intense runs that last about 3 min, then have a 1 min rest, then run for 3 mins again.

Do 10 "rounds" of 3min intense runs (bout 800metres) with a min rest is much more like how you will compete, rather than runing for 40mins stright. Boxing is anaerobic so train that way

Hill sprints are also good to simulate the intense bursts that you will need during the fight.

Just my 2 cents.

Respect to all who get in a ring with a guy who wants to knock them out. Good luck

15. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Respect yo 'delf. :D

16. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

"Respect to all those who get in ring" is what you say to folk so they don't back out of a fight

They have two options

1. They DON'T get in the ring so the don't get the respect and everyone knows that they "wimped out"

or

2. They DO get in the ring and even if they get KO'd by the first punch, at least they have earned respect from their trainer and other members of the gym for getting in there.

'Course, once the fighter has been in the ring once, they want to get that rush again and thus you have a fighter for a few years.

At least that's what I think.....but then again I still may be concussed. :eek: