Anxiety, who knew

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Xue Sheng, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

I have felt this tiny bit of anxiety, that began a few months into the "Pandemic". I did not pay much attention to it, did not even know what it was, but it began to grow, and I realized it was anxiety. It is not affecting my day to day functions at all, but I am just began to figure out what it is. But it is kind of like am itch you just can't scratch

But, it is the lack of contact, or conversations, with martial artists in my area that I had prior to the pandemic

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool the merc with the mouth MAP 2017 Moi Award

Anyone sane should be anxious in the current environment.

FB_IMG_1599846121512.jpg

axelb, Grond and Xue Sheng like this.
  3. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Active Member

Ah the home stretch. You are on your own. Good luck to you.

Xue Sheng likes this.
  4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I think many people have felt something very similar.

My own experience of lockdown has been hometime with my family, which I love, but all the time a sense that everything has changed and "outside" is different.

I've also missed my students terribly, and my training partners and classmates. Early on I had a conversation with my Instructor and we mulled over how a club is not the art, not even the training, it is the people. I missed them all.

Now I'm back teaching, and training soon, but for how long, and under exactly what circumstances nobody knows. Honestly, I think it would be odd not to feel anxious under these circumstances, and I think everyone feels it. I see it in my students, I see it in my kids, and I see it in myself.

We're all just finding our way, and you're definitely not alone :)

axelb, aaradia and Xue Sheng like this.
  5. Grond

Grond Valued Member

No, no, no Deadpool. That bridge is far too close to the water, and there are no Thuggee cultists. Heck, there's not even a single crocodile under that.

This is the bridge that most closely resembles today, and I think you'll agree. Just wrap the rope around yourself and your kin, invoke Kali Ma the Divine Mother on your enemies, and swing the blade. It's not the best metaphor for this time, but I think it comes close. At least it's how I feel, personally.

Mitch, axelb, Dead_pool and 1 other person like this.
  6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Anxiety is pretty much a constant in my life (I have GAD) and that unscratched itch is a good metaphor. If you're busy and enagaged you can sometimes forget the itch is there or ignore it. But during down or quiet times it can become the only thing you're aware of.
    Sometimes I feel like Peter Sellers from the Pink Panther films going through life with a proverbial Kato round every corner who never attacks (although sometimes he does attack!). A background feeling that "something is not right" or (how it often manifests in my case) "I've forgotten about something really important and something bad will happen as a result".
    Unfortunately, for the anxious mind, current events do feed it. I know that most of what I worry about will never happen. I'm trying to mentally pre-write my life as a "choose your own adventure" book where I've worked out all the permutations and pitfalls so I only pick the good options and best outcomes. Which obviously with life is impossible to do.
    But then when real bad things do happen (as we know they do) that feeds the anxiety because it reinforces the idea that you should be prepared for any eventuality if you just thought about things some more (like I have some sort of control or influence on a global pandemic!?!).
    I did jury service this past week and it was clear most people would barely give it a second thought after we delivered our verdict. But I know I'll be thinking about it for weeks or months in case we missed something about the case or got it wrong (the worst thing an anxious person can do!).
    So yeah....It's no surprise current events like a global pandemic and the rise of dangerous buffoons in power all over the world can lead to anxiety.

Flying Crane and Xue Sheng like this.
  7. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I count myself lucky that I have a job that I was already capable of doing at home, and 2 kids (6 and 11), between all this I have been so busy spinning the plates that I barely got to experience that anxiousness, but there have been moments of solitude that it hit me hard.

The busy was just enough to cover it, but I know it's there, I don't know if it has been a good or bad thing that I've been so distracted.
    I seen it affect my children a lot.

I feel like we're all in this together, but on our own at the same time. It doesn't make it any better, but feels like some stability comes from knowing in not the only one.

Xue Sheng likes this.
  8. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Active Member

Your last comment is interesting. When we first started to lock down I and my wife both lost our jobs and I was in a panic. But as I came to grips with it and discovered that everyone is in a similar situation, it was actually calming because I realized I wasn’t alone in this. That had a real calming effect. And it forced the government to create some aid, although they have since dropped the ball in that.

axelb and Xue Sheng like this.